Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Scared of care I am receiving

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Scared of care I am receiving

Postby karen lee » Wed Dec 10, 2003 07:39 pm

by karen lee (1 Posts), Wed Dec 10, 2003 07:39 pm

I am 39 years old and 37 weeks pregnant with my 4th child. I have never had such a run around in my entire life. I was hospitalized on the 17th of Nov. because I could not stop vomiting. About 2 hours after they got me to my room I experienced what they called "Spontanious Transvaginal Bleed" I must say it was very scarey, as I never saw so much blood come out of me! It resolved itself and they kept me for around a week. All the while I had awful pain in the entire upper quadrent of my abdomen, both right and left side. They started me on Zofran and Protnics and my stomach settled down. By my 3rd day there my blood pressure rose to 182/100. I also had +2 protien in my urine. I thought, this is not good as I had preeclampsia with my last pregnancy 8 years ago. After 6 days they sent me home on bed rest with scripts for the medications they had me on, and also a visiting nurse.

The day after I came home I began to swell in my legs, ankles, and feet. The pharmacy would not fill my scripts for my stomach and I began to vomit again. Finally I went in that evening. They told me the swelling was from the medication and my pressures were not that bad. My lowest BP was 142/95 that evening. I inquired about my meds also and was told they had no control over that. I came home and called the Mom Matters Program for my insurance company. The nurse from there had told me she faxed the Office Manager an over-ride form that day and I should have my meds by that evening.

A week later I was seen in clinic where they "did not" take my Blood Pressure, Weight, or Urine. The only thing they did was a NST? I approached the doctor and when they took my urine it was +1 and my BP was 140/88. I asked the doctor about the visiting nurse and my medications. I was told that the nurse should have been out and that they had no idea about what could be holding up my meds? The doctor called in the Office Manager, she told me that the insurace company was lying to me about calling her and faxing an over-ride form and she had tried to contact them and they would not call her back.

The day after the visiting nurse came and I ended up back in L&D with extremly high pressures and horriable stomach pain with the worst headache I have ever had. At that time they started to give me Dexamethisone Shots to mature my babies lungs. They were going to keep me until this Friday and then section me but a resident came in and discharged me and sent me home telling me the visiting nurse would be out everyday to check me. I was told that my section was to be on Friday the 12th and to report at 6 am providing nothing happend.

Back home on bed rest the nurse never showed and still has not been here. I received a call from her telling me the office manager had canceled her from coming here and that I do not have preeclampsia. Next, I called the Mothers Program to find out that they cannot get past this office manager to get intouch with my doctor regarding the visiting nurse and my medication. The woman told me she had faxed the doctors office 4 over-ride forms so far and has had no response and will not return her phone calls. After that I get a letter in the mail along with a survey form congratulating me on the birth of my daughter (I'm having a boy..and didn't have him yet) along with a rate your delivery? Then this Monday I get a call from surgery that my sections are canceled! The one on the 5th and the one they had sechuled for the 14th? I asked who did this and they told me the office manager! Again, I call the Mom's Program to try to get advice on how to handle this. She in turn called the doctors office again only to hear that they didn't know who I was?

I am very concerend that someone is being so cavaler about my health and my babies health. I understand that this is a large practice with a large number of doctors. I cannot change at this late date as I am on Medical Assistance and they will not allow it. I have called the patient advocate and have had no respose. This afternoon I began with swelling and headache again. What do I do? I'm getting scared to have this baby there.

I have a past history of Placenta Abruption and Preeclampsia. I'm also having another c-section because I have had 3 prior and I have a large fibroid. The next time I see the doctor is this Friday the 12th.

Thank You, Karen Lee

Angela Marie 10/12/90
Rebecca Anne 1/23/92
Bryon Leteele 7/27/95
Colin Matthew Due 12/12/03
karen lee

Re : Scared of care I am receiving

Postby catherine » Wed Dec 10, 2003 09:17 pm

by catherine (2832 Posts), Wed Dec 10, 2003 09:17 pm

Hi Karen, how very disturbing for you. I would recommend (mommie not Dr) that you go to L&D anytime that you feel that your symptoms are worsening. You are too close to delivery to be messed around. I don't quite know how to advise you on how to deal with the very entangled office/insurance complication. I do think that it might be a good idea to phone the Preeclampsia Foundation office. The folks there, particularly Anne Garret who is the director, might have some very practical suggestions. The phone number is on the home page here and you are the person that this Foundation was set up to support. I really hope things go well and that Colin's birth will go smoothly and safely. Let us know how things go, we'll be worrying about you until we hear.

Catherine (37)
DH, Dave (40)
Finn (6)
Lucy (2)
Chloe (7/2/03)
catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby sherry fisher » Thu Dec 11, 2003 03:08 am

by sherry fisher (384 Posts), Thu Dec 11, 2003 03:08 am

HI Karen,
I think the best thing for you to do is DEMAND at that very min what you want and need. Take care of all the phone calls yourself and demand on speaking with only supervisors! Sometimes you have to show them that your 'pissed' and you want action THEN not later! GET NAMES of who you talked to and when from here on out!!! I had to do this when dealing with an insurance co....had to keep a 'log' of everything said and by whom! It was the only way I could keep there crap straight! I had to talk with my OB directly with this pregnancy and let her know the 'run around' crapola that I was dealing with at her office. Its been better since then! And anyone on here will tell you.....REQUEST whatever tests and if they deny your request tell them that you want the 'request and deny' placed in your chart! That sometimes will let them know you mean business!!!

I agree..you are too far along to be running this circle with these people! Its absolutely ridiculous and uncalled for!

GOOD LUCK and keep us posted!

Sherry Fisher (28)
DH: Bill (35)
Proud Mama to:
#1) Alex 1/1/94-PE
#2) Abbie 12/17/97-PIH
#3 Will 08/03/02-PP PE
#4) EDD: 4/27/04
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/b/babyfish3/
sherry fisher

Postby akemt » Thu Dec 11, 2003 10:38 am

by akemt (4961 Posts), Thu Dec 11, 2003 10:38 am

Wow, how scary and plain insane! UGH! I hate hearing stories like this! Definately follow the advice that both of the ladies previously mentioned! I got the run around from a nurse at the hospital. Not half as bad as you though. Definately demand good care and go to L&D at the hospital if ANYTHING worsens. It sickens me that people mess around with this stuff. I wish I was there to chew them out for you! lol I would suggest getting the override from the insurance directly, then taking it to the nurse manager and having her sign a copy of it stating that she received it for YOUR records...what a mess. So sorry that you have to deal with this! Please keep us informed on how you are doing and I hope this situation will get undercontrol VERY soon.

Best of luck!

Catherine (22)
DH Britton (27)
Emma Margaret (03/02/03) 37 weeks from PIH & oligo
akemt

Postby annegarrett » Thu Dec 11, 2003 10:44 am

by annegarrett (2525 Posts), Thu Dec 11, 2003 10:44 am

It is hard to imagine anyone falling through the cracks and receiving substandard care. I am so sorry that you feel your care has been such. That has got to be very distressing. From what you say, and from speaking with our experts it would appear that you have severe preeclampsia with multiple symptoms, vaginal bleeding and a history of an abruption and prior sections - and should go to the hospital. It would not be unreasonable and some experts would say advisable to ask to be delivered. It would not make sense to waste energy on arguing with an office manager.
While we do agree--documenting what you say and what you hear is important, particularly for later should something go wrong,
your primary obligation and focus is to your health and your baby.
It is would be a reasonable thing to go directly to the hospital labor and delivery and demand care. Bills can be sorted out later--you cannot undo losing a child.

Anne Garrett
Executive Director
Preeclampsia Foundation
annegarrett

Return to Ask the Experienced