is there any hope?

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

is there any hope?

Postby 3preemiekidz » Tue Feb 03, 2004 09:29 pm

Hi all, I'm pretty new here. Been lurking for awhile but just haven't posted yet. I've had 3 kids now, all of them I've developed pre-eclampsia/HELLP syndrome. My first I showed signs of high blood pressure at 24 weeks. By 30 weeks I was spilling enough protein that they became concerned. My blood pressures then went up from there. At 35 weeks I was induced for preeclampsia.

With my second I spilled trace protein from the beginning. I'm also a type 1 diabetic so they weren't too surprised at that. My blood pressures shot up at 18 weeks and I was put on medications and strict bedrest. I spent 4 weeks in and out of the hospital and finally at 29 weeks I was spilling so much protein and had such high blood pressures that they induced me. During delivery they found that I had also abrupted. They now say it was HELLP syndrome.

With my third it all happened about like it did with my second. I had trace protein from the beginning but it slowly went up. At 18 weeks my pressures were high and I was put on meds and bedrest. I began putting on tons of weight but it wasn't edema, it was polyhydramnios (too much amniotic fluid). After 5 weeks in the hospital they induced me at 31 weeks. I had lots of problems from the polyhydramnios although my Dr. acts like it wasn't a big deal. I have permanant nerve damage in the front of my stomach now and when the baby was born, she was so swollen they had to do all sorts of tests to see why she was retaining water. They say I had HELLP syndrome with her also.

Well now here I am, pregnant again. I have to say that my last pregnancy and this one were not planned. I was on birth control and even had an IUD in with this one. I'm scared to death of having to do bedrest all over again. I don't know if I can handle it. That and the thought of a baby in the NICU again is making me crazy. Things with this pregnancy aren't going so well already. At 8 weeks my pressure was 165/105. I was told to just take it easy. Finally at 12 weeks they put me on meds. I'm also spilling 1+ protein already. My pressures have come down quite a bit in the second trimester but I'm so afraid they are going to jump back up again or that I'll be put on never ending bedrest again. I don't think I can do it all again. I have 3 other kids I need to be taking care of and am just feeling really stressed.

Does anyone have any advice? Do you think there is even hope that I won't get it again? My Dr has said if I make it to 28 weeks it will be a miracle which didn't brighten my spirits. Help![V]

Rebecca
Mom to Audri 3,
Ezra 2,
Liya 1
and #4 EDD 8/1/04
born at 35, 29 and 31 weeks due to Pre-e/HELLP
3preemiekidz

Re : is there any hope?

Postby kim » Wed Feb 04, 2004 06:37 am

Wow, Rebecca!

You sure have been through a lot. I am glad that you have three wonderful children after pre-e/hellp.

I'm no doctor... Have you been tested for clotting disorders, etc..? Are you seeing a perinatologist?

I wish I had answers for you [:)].

Take care... You got pregnant with an IUD? Copper or Mirena. That scares me to death (I have a copper IUD!)...

Kim Schwintz
Texas Chapter President

Ainsley Kathryn 11/26/02-36 Weeks Preeclampsia
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/ainsleyk/
kim

Postby catherine » Wed Feb 04, 2004 07:46 am

Hi Rebecca, welcome to the forum. I have to say I can't imagine that you can dodge the preeclampsia bullet this time. However, what I would guess you need most right now is a PLAN! I don't know how you manage at all with such a group of tinies under the best of non-pregnant circumstances. I would suggest that you email Michelle (Moderator of the On Bedrest forum) and ask her what she did to line up her support staff. She was in a similar situation to you and had anticipated the bedrest boom being dropped on her. I think that it struck at 22 weeks. Nancy (Paljane) also worked through the process. I'm thinking now is the time to gather friends, relatives, people from work/church/neighbors and bluntly ask/beg/demand some help. Meals, kid watching time, laundry assistance etc. What is DH doing to help? Does he need some direction so that he gets the "picture"? I'm pretty sure that people will chime in here with really good tips and suggestions for managing. I'm sure that you feel like your priorities are torn, taking care of the kids on one hand and looking out for this baby on the other. I can tell you that the number 1 priority is you, if you're not able to take the best care of yourself possible, both of the other issues might end up irrelevant!!!

Keep checking back Rebecca, some of our most experienced managers aren't all that regular posters (many kids... little time) but they will show up to give you their best advice.

I'm sending some e-chocolate with my best wishes.. best thing for a diabetic I guess,

Hugs

Catherine
Mom to Finn, Lucy (preeclampsia and HELLP) and Chloe.
Moderator HELLP Syndrome Survivors
catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby akemt » Wed Feb 04, 2004 10:24 am

Rebecca,

First, I LOVE YOUR CHILDREN'S NAMES! I can imagine this is extremely stressful and worrysome. It sounds like you're getting good advice. Are the meds you are on keeping your pressures managed? I think that is the key right now. If you can keep your pressures stable (and the longer the better) the better chance you have of getting to or even passing that 28 week mark. I know, it doesn't seem possible now. I'm curious about whether you've been tested for the autoimmune and clotting disorders as well? They are basically the same tests ran for those who have had multiple miscarriages. Also, (not a doctor either) but I would wonder if one or all of your previous pregnancy experiences has damaged your kidneys. Have you seen a (now I can't remember???) Nephrologist? Whoever works with Kidneys. [:I] I wonder if that may be part of the issue too. If they aren't working as well to begin with, it is understandable that the pressure and strain of a progressing pregnancy (with diabetes and high BP) will only worsen the matter. BTW, I'm not trying to explain why things might go wrong as I understand that can be disheartening, just trying to help you find areas that you may be able to have some control over.

I'm due 8/11 so we are close! Please keep us updated and let us know how we can help in any way.

Catherine (22), Moderator (pregnant again)
DH Britton (27)
Emma Margaret (03/02/03) 37 weeks from PIH & oligo
Baby #2 due August 11, 2004
akemt

Postby 3preemiekidz » Wed Feb 04, 2004 11:37 am

Thanks everyone for replying.
To answer a few questions.... I have been tested for about everything under the sun. I'm seeing a perinatologist and after my last baby he sent me to see a nephrologist because after 26 years of diabetes and 3 pregnancies with preeclampsia, I obviously have some kidney damage. The nephrologist was no help at all. He ran a bunch of tests and checked my blood pressure. At the time my blood pressure was 110/65 and he told me he couldn't put me on anything because the meds they give you to help protect your kidneys, also lower your blood pressure and mine was low enough. The tests all came back that yes, I have some kidney damage but that it wasn't bad enough that they could do anything. In otherwords, if my kidneys aren't failing, they wouldn't do anything. He did tell me to not have any more babies. Oops

I had the mirena IUD in. I have a feeling it wasn't put in right though. I had it put in at 6 weeks post partum after I had stopped bleeding. I then bled for another 4 weeks and had really bad cramping. I then had bad cramping off and on for no reason. I never had a period before I found out I was PG. The IUD was in for about 8 months.

I'm already planning on bedrest again. I'm just hoping it won't happen or it won't happen as bad. With my last pregnancy, my mom came and took my kids at 18 weeks and they lived with her until I had the baby. It about killed me. I rarely saw them and my son started walking while I wasn't there. The rest of the time, I sat in bed by myself and stared at the wall. My brother came over and set up a microwave and fridge by my bed so I literally never moved. That's about the only help I have and I fear that my mom will want to do the same thing again and I just can't let her. I need my kids.

Oh.. we're also moving in about 2 weeks so I won't know anyone. It's going to be interesting. My husband is in school full time and trying to find work so eventually he'll be in school and work all day. I had to stop working with my first and haven't been able to go back. That was 4 years ago. I've applied for disability and am waiting on that. Not sure how that's going to help.

Anyway, that's about everything. I was just hoping that there was a chance it wouldn't happen all over again. I am aiming for 34 weeks this time and keeping my fingers crossed for little bedrest.

Rebecca
Mom to Audri 3,
Ezra 2,
Liya 1
and #4 EDD 8/1/04
3preemiekidz

Postby 3preemiekidz » Wed Feb 04, 2004 11:47 am

oh.. I forgot to add. I am not currently on any meds. I was on labetelol but while taking my pressures I noticed that they were really low (100/50) so I'm off it for awhile. I'm sure I'll be put back on it if it goes up at all. I have another appointment next week so we'll see.

Rebecca
Mom to Audri 3,
Ezra 2,
Liya 1
and #4 EDD 8/1/04
3preemiekidz

Postby julie f » Wed Feb 04, 2004 12:15 am

Rebecca,

I wish I had answers for you! Just know that you have come to the right place for information and support. I will keep you in my prayers for a loooong and uneventful as possible pregnancy.

I can imagine that would be hard to be without your kids for so long, is it possible that your Mom stays with you instead of taking the kids with her?

Hang in there and please keep us updated.

Julie (26)
Zachary James, 7/22/03-7/27/03, born at 26wks - severe pe

Southern California Chapter President
julie f

Postby alimarie » Thu Feb 05, 2004 09:37 am

You have been through a lot......and that is belittling it. I was noticing your kid's ages. what exactly is the age spread between each one? it looks like you had them back to back! i can't imagine how busy you have been!

alison

AliMarie---mommy to Madalyn Anne-born at 35 wks due to severe pe (9/18/2001 4lbs. 14oz.)
alimarie

Postby 3preemiekidz » Thu Feb 05, 2004 11:30 am

Yes, I've been pregnant for the last 4 years, lol. My kids are 3, 2 and 1. They are 15 and 17 months apart and this one will be about 18 months apart if I can make it to 34 weeks. Like I said, it wasn't planned this way. Only our second one was planned and I got pregnant with him a lot sooner than I thought I would. Just call me fertile. Now if my body just liked being pregnant.

Rebecca
Mom to Audri 3,
Ezra 2,
Liya 1
and #4 EDD 8/1/04
3preemiekidz

Postby alimarie » Sat Feb 07, 2004 12:56 am

Rebecca,

wow!!! you are definitely a fertile myrtle. that is amazine. keep us updated on how your body is handling this!

alison

AliMarie---mommy to Madalyn Anne-born at 35 wks due to severe pe (9/18/2001 4lbs. 14oz.)
alimarie

Next

Return to Pregnant Again?