Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Need Help with Breastfeeding!

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Need Help with Breastfeeding!

Postby sweetiesuzy » Tue Dec 23, 2003 06:45 am

by sweetiesuzy (2404 Posts), Tue Dec 23, 2003 06:45 am

Hello Ladies! As most of you know I am about 7 1/2 weeks pregnant. I am currently breastfeeding my soon to be one year old. When we found out I was pregnant we tried weaning him. It went OK for the first couple nights and now he is a maniac. He screams for up to three hours at a time if I do not breastfeed and screams. He now clings to me and only wants me. I am not getting any more than three hours of sleep at one time. I don't know what to do. I am literally exhausted and I feel like I have a sleep disorder because of all this interuppted sleep I have had for over a year. I have uped my water intake - in fact I drink it nonstop - and I still feel dehydrated.
Please I am desperate for any suggestions as to how to wean my little one. I am so tired.
Thanks,
Suzanna

DS 3/25/95
DD 10/26/01 stillbirth
DS 12/30/02
AND ~ Peanut edd 8/6/04
sweetiesuzy

Re : Need Help with Breastfeeding!

Postby mada » Tue Dec 23, 2003 07:12 am

by mada (4081 Posts), Tue Dec 23, 2003 07:12 am

Hi Suz.
I am so sorry you are having such a rough time. A friend of mine had a very difficult time weaning her daughter. She said it seemed like her daughter felt rejected. She was very clingy as well. Well, I know there are a couple of books out there, but she said she just stuck to her guns. She said it was very difficult and she was emotionally exhausted but with in 1 and a half weeks it was sooooo much better. She offered Olivia sippy cups or other distractions when she was starting to have a melt down. She had a "special cup" for her to use when she was really sad. I don't know if this helps but I know how hard this must be. It doesn't help being prego and tired from that. Hang in there sweetie[:)]

Mada Harpster

Sam 6-29-00 36weeks P.E.
Ben 11-03-01 No P.E.
mada

Postby akemt » Tue Dec 23, 2003 11:01 am

by akemt (4961 Posts), Tue Dec 23, 2003 11:01 am

Suz, I think mada's suggestions are right on. We couldn't get Emma to take a bottle untill after she took a tippy cup (not the suction ones, just one with a lid because she was actually lik 6 months when we first offered them). I think the tippy cup went alot smoother because it wasn't seen as a substitute when we started, and she could sit with us at the table with her cup while we drank from ours. After that, when we offered bottles she was much more willing and eventually LOVED the bottle enough to not want me (after having horrid experiences with bottle-feeding early on). So sorry you're having to struggle! Sleep deprivation is awful! lol

Catherine (22)
DH Britton (27)
Emma Margaret (03/02/03) 37 weeks from PIH & oligo
akemt

Postby season » Tue Dec 23, 2003 04:41 pm

by season (1416 Posts), Tue Dec 23, 2003 04:41 pm

Can your husband take night duty for awhile? It's much harder for a child to accept that they can't nurse when Mom is right there. Also, many kids are not ready at to wean at one (or under), some are more stubborn that others about it.

I'm curious did you wean gradually, or all at once? I understand it's a much more smooth transition to do it over a few weeks, and drop a nursing session or two at a time. You may have gone too quickly and need to just back-up a little.

SueAnn
dh Kwame
ds Ezekiel 1/2/02 (34wks due to pre-e)
#2 EDD 7/6/04
season
Forum Moderator

Postby paljane8 » Wed Dec 24, 2003 01:37 pm

by paljane8 (1416 Posts), Wed Dec 24, 2003 01:37 pm

Oh my gosh, it was 8 yrs ago and it seems like yesterday that I was in your shoes! I SO remember the crying and clingyness and lack of sleep. I was absolutely numb. I think there are very few women's bodies that can feed an adult and two babies. Infact, my philosophy was that Calvin wasn't getting full and so he became very protective of his "ahem" food source. So here's what worked for us. (I am not a doc; don't tell yours [:)]) We sweetened the formula with a little apple juice concentrate so he would take it. I cut back on nursing and almost imediately lost my milk. He would cry and cry for HOURS. But, eventually he got hungry enough for a bottle. Once we figured to try the sweetened version he liked it and weened himself very quickly. I heard of others mixing breast milk with formula for a while until they get used to it-never worked with Cal. When he was used to the bottle and unsweetened formula we moved him into milk in the sippy cup and he transitioned easily. Good luck-boy, my heart goes out to you!

My oldest 2 are 14 months apart...there was a buy one get one free that year. How close will your 2 be?

Nancy-35
dh-34
ds-8yrs
dd-7yrs
Scott-born 05-14-99 @38 weeks-PE
Janie-born 05-12-03 @37 weeks-PIH, small for gestational age (oligo and low blood flow)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/4/4lbs/
paljane8

Postby sweetiesuzy » Sat Dec 27, 2003 12:40 am

by sweetiesuzy (2404 Posts), Sat Dec 27, 2003 12:40 am

Thanks a lot for your tips! Sam is still crazy and nursing more than ever. I am going to try to relax about it and see what happens. I really want him to wean and I think it was stressing him out. I am hoping the taste of my milk will change enough that he may not like it anymore. I know that this cannot last forever - this will pass. I am just soooo tired.
I hope you all had a blessed holiday.
HUGS,
Suzanna

DS 3/25/95
DD 10/26/01 stillbirth
DS 12/30/02
AND ~ Peanut edd 8/6/04
sweetiesuzy

Return to Ask the Experienced