Post Reply FAQ Members Login

loosing faith

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

loosing faith

Postby tammy » Sat Dec 06, 2003 05:26 pm

by tammy (214 Posts), Sat Dec 06, 2003 05:26 pm

My experience with PE starts with a normal B/P 12070 at the highest prior to pregnancy then during pregnancy until 28 weeks. I had swelling of my legs up to my knees starting at 12 weeks and unable to wear my rings. I had headaches on/off that did not always respond to Tylenol. SOB, floaters. B/P 120-130/78-80. I started talking with my doctors about cutting back a day from work due to these issues. I was told absolutly not until 38 weeks could they help me with that reguest. 32 weeks increased swelling horrible headaches.B/P 130/80 a different MD in the practice I needs to slow down some and cut back on work, but would discuss more next week, and will do a 24 hour urine. 33 weeks B/P next visit 100/60, but continue with the same symptoms slightly elevated protein in urine. MD explained no need to cut back on work I am fine but will see me in 1 week. 34 weeks admittedd to hospital babies heartbeat 200. Ultrasound boodwork and B/P mointering 24 hours sent home on bedrest. Will see me at the end of the week and we will discuss working. At appointment 2 days later B/P 150/96 sent to hospital for induction. No magnesium just bedrest while being induced. My son born 2 days later and spent 2 weeks in the NICU. I am disharged and had no F/U scheduled for 3 weeks, but ran into one of the docs while visiting my son in the NICU and mentioned this and asked me to come in the next week for B/P check. B/P 156/104 sent back to the hospital 9 days postpartum for magnesium. I am in the hospital for 4 days. My son and I D/c'd that time the same day with instructions to rest. I am not on 2 different medications to manage my B/P and since I am 6 weeks postpartum with B/P's 130/90 and have very little confindence in my B/P management. I really like the MDS who took care of me, but do feel I had many complaints no one listed to until I had a bigger problem. I now should be very happy with my son who is doing well, but I am getting depressed because I never seem to feel well . I meds make me tired and the last 6 weeks have been taken up with MD appointments I have not even rested. It will all to soon be time to return to work and I am angry that I have not had a normal postpartum period and time to just enjoy my son. I am not sure how to relax and enjoy the time I have at home left. I also do not know how to feel comfortable with my current MD's.
tammy

Re : loosing faith

Postby kim » Sat Dec 06, 2003 08:36 pm

by kim (555 Posts), Sat Dec 06, 2003 08:36 pm

Tammy,

Just wanted to let you know that I can empathize with the frustration. With my pre-e, I was induced as it was turning into Hellp, my bp got better... Then, at 1 week postpartum, it soared way beyond what it was when I was induced. One year later, I am slowly coming off of my meds. Just give it some time...

Also, I read about your weight loss issues. On Labetalol, I gained 30 pounds in two months! It really can slow your metabolism down. You may want to ask your doc about different bp drugs or have your primary care physician take over. Ob/gyn's often don't know what to do with us after 6 weeks pp.

I'm not sure about your nursing/meds question. I was unable to nurse, so my med options were much broader.

Take care,

Kim Schwintz
Texas Chapter President

Ainsley Kathryn 11/26/02-36 Weeks Preeclampsia
http://home.austin.rr.com/schwintz
kim

Postby paljane8 » Sat Dec 06, 2003 09:34 pm

by paljane8 (1416 Posts), Sat Dec 06, 2003 09:34 pm

Hey Tammy,

I am so sorry about your traumatic experience! That is really rotten. I am glad that your son is doing well. It is ok to be mad and happy at the same time. Let yourself be really pissed that you missed out on a normal end of preg and postpartum experience. And don't feel guilty. You experienced more than 1 emotion and letting yourself acknowlege them really helps in moving past it. Be happy that you have a beautiful and healthy son and enjoy that feeling. And allow yourself to be mad that you missed some time with him. Venting here helps [:)]. There are many who feel the same; even when experiences or outcomes were different. Come see us in the "after you baby is born" section and give us updates on you and your son. Hang in there...your energy will return but it takes a while.

Nancy-35
dh-34
ds-8yrs
dd-7yrs
Scott-born 05-14-99 @38 weeks-PE
Janie-born 05-12-03 @37 weeks-PIH, small for gestational age (oligo and low blood flow)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/4/4lbs/
paljane8

Postby annegarrett » Sun Dec 07, 2003 09:41 am

by annegarrett (2525 Posts), Sun Dec 07, 2003 09:41 am

Tammy,

I had postpartum issues as well--so appreciate where you are coming from. A LOT of us do. One thing that you don't mention--is this your first baby? I felt exhausted for a full year after my first baby and it had nothing to do with the BP meds. Some BP meds do make you tired but that is usually because the dose is so high that your BP is too low. Unless your BP is really low, I (not a doctor) would think it more likely your fatigue over the trauma you experienced, + childbirth, + a new baby. Eating well now (particularly iron rich foods coupled with Vitamin C--so for example spinach salad and a glass of orange juice--the Vitamin C helps metabolize the iron) will give you extra energy and help you feel more "with it". That and lots of rest. LOTS and LOTS. I would just let the house go and sleep when the baby sleeps.

As for getting better care--if you are unhappy--(you sound unhappy) then get a second opinion. You will have more information and it will help you know more clearly what the issue is. To find a perinatologist near you--check out www.nasshp.org

Take care and let us know how you are doing...

Anne Garrett
Executive Director
Preeclampsia Foundation
annegarrett

Return to Ask the Experienced