Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Did anyone see the ER episode?

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

Re : Did anyone see the ER episode?

Postby amanda snow » Sat Feb 07, 2004 01:31 pm

by amanda snow (6 Posts), Sat Feb 07, 2004 01:31 pm

I was kicked out too...Yes,that does make you feel like screaming. Why does that happen with your premmie child, but not with an older child when they are seriously ill...Do they think that your babies are not real until they reach their proper gestational age.
Mandy
Mum of 6
Three premmies( 2 at almost30 wks, 1 at 34.5)
amanda snow

Postby mrudman1 » Sun Feb 08, 2004 09:57 am

by mrudman1 (9 Posts), Sun Feb 08, 2004 09:57 am

That really upsets me that some of you ladies were kicked out during doctor rounds. I feel that we know the subtle changes of our baby's more than any doctor or nurse, and should be able to express our thoughts.

I was allowed to stay at my daughter's bedside (incubator side) during all doctor round.. in fact they encouraged it... so after the first couple days, I made sure I was down there a few minutes before the time they normally started them.

I learned so much information just hearing the nurse's report to the doctor, and I knew what to expect then as far as the plans for her in the following days.

I was aware of what needed to be accomplished before she could come home, so knowing that, I was able to push the nurses (and my daughter) a little bit harder.

For example, she had to be drinking at least 8 bottles per day, gaining weight, and being outside of the incubator before discharge.
Four days before Christmas, she was finally out of the incubator for good, so all we had to do was get her to be off the tube feeding (able to tolerate all 8 bottles). At that point, she was taking 3 bottles and then being tube-fed the other 5 feeding.

The next day she was bumped up to 6 bottles, and the remaining 2 were tube-fed.

One the very early morning of December 23rd, If I hadn't attended all the doctor rounds all along, we would have been delayed at least one more day coming home.

On the very early morning of December 23rd, one of the night shift nurses didn't know we had already made it up to 6 bottles... so I was able to tell her we were ready to try all 8... my daughter tolerated all 8 bottles on Dec. 23rd, and the next morning on doctor's rounds, the doctor said we could go home!!!

So, the best present of all last year was that I got to bring my daughter home on Christmas Eve.

Michelle (30)
Hubby (32)
Gracie (3 yrs) - Born on 11/28/00 at 39 wks d/t mild pre-e
Allison (1 yr old) - Born on 12/11/02 at 33 wks d/t severe pre-e
mrudman1

Postby momathelete » Sun Feb 08, 2004 12:22 am

by momathelete (227 Posts), Sun Feb 08, 2004 12:22 am

Ok, I must be emotional today Michelle. Your post made me tear up. Babies coming home is always a big tear-jerker for me.....

Michelle
Moderator -On Bedrest
Interim Chapter President -Illinois

mom to Cole (HELP pregnancy, 28 wkr) will be 5 in March
Lainey (preE pregnancy, 29 wkr) now 2 yrs old
Ella (PIH, 37 wkr) now 7 months
momathelete

Postby paljane8 » Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:16 am

by paljane8 (1416 Posts), Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:16 am

Yeah, that made me tear too! I am so glad you shared that sweet experience!

Nancy Eastwood
Moderator/WA State Co-Coordinator

ds-8yrs, dd-7yrs
Scott-4yrs (PE)
Janie-5/12/03 (PIH, oligo and low blood flow)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/4/4lbs/
paljane8

Previous

Return to Parents of Preemies