Post Reply FAQ Members Login

One last chance at a Living Child

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

One last chance at a Living Child

Postby savannahsmom » Sun Oct 26, 2003 03:48 pm

Hello everyone-[:)]

I'm pregnant for the third time, and am scared and worried. I miscarried the first at 23 weeks, and had the second, Savannah at 28 wk. She lived for eight days. I had early severe pre-e. We were given 50/50 odds that it would happen again. Needless to say my husband and I have hashed over the religous, moral, emotional and physical aspects of trying again. This time will be it. I've wanted a child my whole life, and wathched family and friends have healthy baby after healthy baby.

I'm not looking for pep-talks, because I'm tired of people telling me it will be ok, they have no IDEA what they are talking about. I know here I will get REAL support and TRUTH even if it hurts. I also just wanted to share. Thanks for listening.

Dawn- 31
Bruce- 38
Cameron - miscarriage (growth restricted?)
Savannah- born 25 weeks, lived 8 days (pre-e, IUGR)
savannahsmom

Re : One last chance at a Living Child

Postby sherry fisher » Sun Oct 26, 2003 07:14 pm

Hi Dawn!
NO pep talk, just a GOOD LUCK and keep your chin up there girlie, we are here for ya!

[:D]

Sherry Fisher (28)
DH: Bill (35)
Proud Mama to:
#1) Alex 1/1/94-PE
#2) Abbie 12/17/97-PIH
#3 Will 08/03/02-PP PE
#4) EDD: 4/27/04
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/b/babyfish3/
sherry fisher

Postby annegarrett » Sun Oct 26, 2003 08:16 pm

Hey Dawn,

You are at the right place. So many tough women here who have made the same tough choice and we all know it is not going to be easy and it will be scary for you every step of the way. Trust me though--if you want a pep talk--we have some good pep talkers here--this would be the place to get it--really honest feedback and positive support. Take care and let us know how it goes.

Anne Garrett
Executive Director
Preeclampsia Foundation
annegarrett

Postby erin2003 » Mon Oct 27, 2003 04:35 am

Hi Dawn,

Don't worry, you will never here "It will be fine" from me. As we have lived and heard before this is not always the case.

However, I still want to be very cautiously optimistic for you! I am currently on my subsequent pregnancy after the loss of our DS. After much of the same conversations I am sure you had with your DH we decided to try one more time.

I have recently joined this site and can say that you may get the occasional pep talk when requested however it is not like the ones you are use to from others. You will get honesty and facts. That is what I love and trust about this site.

I hope to get to know you better over the weeks/months to come!

You and your family will be in our thoughts and prayers.

Many ((hugs))

Erin

Me 27 DH 28
^|^ Jackson Andrew Jan 21-25, 2003
Born at 27w5d due to Pre-E, HELLP
OMGoodness! It's a Girl! EDD Jan 6/04
C-section scheduled Dec 31/03
www.babiesonline.com/babies/p/polkie
erin2003

Postby paljane8 » Mon Oct 27, 2003 03:24 pm

Hey Dawn,

Just wanted to let you know I am pulling for you! How far along are you?

Nancy-35
dh-34
ds-8yrs
dd-almost 7yrs
Scott-born 05-14-99 @38 weeks-PE
Janie-born 05-12-03 @37 weeks-PIH, small for gestational age (oligo and low blood flow)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/4/4lbs/
paljane8

Postby julie f » Mon Oct 27, 2003 07:09 pm

Dawn,

Sending prayers your way for a very healthy, uneventful and looooooong pregnancy.

Julie
Zachary James, 7/22/03-7/27/03, born at 26 weeks due to severe pe
julie f

Postby deerhart » Mon Oct 27, 2003 08:57 pm

You know I think some of the best advice I got when I was pregnant again came from my husband. He just kept telling me that everything was going to be alright, because that was the only point of view we could go into the pregnancy with other wise we would drive ourselves nuts with worry. Instead of being anxious, nervous, and insane over everything we instead chose to be causious and aware of what was going on, but not to let it completely stress us out.

I did end up getting PE again, but this time it started showing up 4 weeks later then the first time and was much more milder.

I was given odds of 20-25% chance of reoccurance after my first child, with bedrest working so well for me my OB expected that I propably would not get it a 2nd time. If I were to have another child, the expectations are about 100% chance of PE again (unless I take heprin then they aren't sure what the chance would be)

The decision to face PE again is very difficult, but for me the only way to face it was to keep remembering that the odds were in my favor NOT to get PE again.

Good Luck!
Erin

Mommy to Alex and Mason
deerhart

Postby savannahsmom » Tue Oct 28, 2003 08:11 am

Thanks Everyone-

I appreciate your caring and input. I am only 5 weeks along and am trying to get in to see my OB ASAP. I am already taking low dose asprin once a day, and am in water up to my neck for an hour a day. These were the only solutions the peri came up with befor we tried again. I was not protien s or c deficient, and have no problem with hypertension when I'm not preg. I am hoping, I suppose realistically for a 30wk minimum. Thanks again!![:I]

Dawn- 31
Bruce- 38
Cameron - miscarriage (growth restricted?)
Savannah- born 25 weeks, lived 8 days (pre-e, IUGR)
savannahsmom

Postby lawsontx » Wed Oct 29, 2003 10:19 am

Dawn,

Just wanted to chime in and say congratulations and hang in there! Just remember that the odds are in your favor if for no other reason than you know what you could possibly be up against.

You are definitely in the right place if you want to talk to other women who know what you are going through. I personally lost my first child this past March due to Pree and HELLP Syndrome. While my husband and I have not started trying again, I can completely understand the fears and uncertainties you are feeling.

Take care of yourself and rely on your past experiences and knowledge of the disease to get you through this time.
lawsontx

Return to Pregnant Again?