Post Reply FAQ Members Login

a testing question

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

a testing question

Postby akemt » Mon Dec 15, 2003 12:11 am

I know that pregnancy throws off alot of your lab values a bit, but which of the underlying conditions, if any, can they still test for with any accuracy while pregnant? Just curious because I didn't get tested before and keep getting these annoying bruises from no where on my legs. And I don't run into things either! Though, other than that I have no symptoms of a clotting disorder, that I know of. Well, unless being told my blood was slow or that my hematocrit was high every time I donated blood is a sign??? And PE runs in my family for a couple generations.

My OB last pg didn't want me to be tested...said the insurance wouldn't pay for it and I haven't met my new OB yet (recent move) so I don't know what their opinion on the matter is. I have promised myself if I get PE/PIH again, I'll be tested, though if it will be accurate to do some tests now, I'd prefer to know sooner than later.

Catherine (22)
DH Britton (27)
Emma Margaret (03/02/03) 37 weeks from PIH & oligo
akemt

Re : a testing question

Postby deerhart » Mon Dec 15, 2003 11:03 pm

They can test during your pregnancy. One of the things my hemotologist told me that with what I had, the levels could fluctuate through out my lifespan, such that if I was tested at some times they would could be normal and other times they could be much higher then they were.

Most likely if you are tested while pregnant and something shows up they may treat it, and then retest you when your no longer pregnant to see if it still exists.

Hope that helps
Erin

Mommy to Alex and Mason
deerhart

Re : a testing question

Postby tahoe4 » Tue Dec 16, 2003 08:53 am

You can be tested for Factor V Leiden.

Protein C and Protein S can be thrown off due to hormone fluctuations while you're preggo. I had to retake both of those because I was on birth control. When I retook them, all levels were normal.

Not sure about the rest of the tests.
tahoe4

Return to Ask the Experienced