Frequent Headaches

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Frequent Headaches

Postby amandab » Fri Dec 19, 2003 09:38 am

I am 15 weeks today. For the past week and a half my BP has been running a bit higher than normal (126/82 now, 118/72 then). No protein. But I have been having very frequent headaches. In fact, just about every day. Mostly in the morning, but sometime they develop in the afternoon or evening. They are not severe, mostly just annoying. And they usually go away on their own or Tylenol takes care of them quickly. I woke up with another this morning and was surprised to see that my BP was the lowest it has been in a week and a half (117/79).

I mentioned these headaches to my OB. She thinks it could be a 2nd trimester thing for me. She doesn't think it is BP related. And I just want more opinions. What do you all think? And if it isn't BP related, should I just take the Tylenol? It's really getting annoying for my head to hurt all the time. By the way, the pain is like a tightness across the back of my head right where the bone juts out above my neck. Thanks for your opinions!!

Amanda
~i~ Aidan Timothy
4/14/03 29 wks
Expecting again!!!
EDD 6/13/04
amandab

Re : Frequent Headaches

Postby julie f » Fri Dec 19, 2003 10:17 am

Amanda,

My sister-in-law has always suffered from 2nd trimester headaches in all of her pregnancies, her doctor stated that they were hormone induced. I have to add a disclaimer though - she's one of the lucky ones that has always had "normal" pregnancies...[;)]

Did you have these headaches with Aidan? I hope the headaches start to let up soon.

Julie
Zachary James, 7/22/03-7/27/03, born at 26 weeks due to severe pe
julie f

Postby akemt » Fri Dec 19, 2003 10:44 am

Amanda,

I feel your pain! Well, I used to! lol Pregnancy causes all kinds of not-so-fun things, including headaches. It sounds like these are not BP related, especially with your bp readings and the tylenol. If the tylenol works, use it! That is one big way they say you can tell the difference between a BP headache and a regular pg headache...that tylenol will not help a BP headache. Also, "The headache" that ladies on here talk about sounds like you feel like you are just going to die...or would rather than deal with the pain, etc. So, keep an eye out, but so far no worries. Still not a doctor though [:D]

Catherine (22)
DH Britton (27)
Emma Margaret (03/02/03) 37 weeks from PIH & oligo
akemt

Postby amandab » Fri Dec 19, 2003 11:03 am

Julie and Catherine, thanks so much for the quick responses!! Julie, I did have these headaches with Aidan, but I also was having a lot of problems with my allergies at the same time so I thought that might have been the cause. Now it seems this is just a 2nd trimester thing for me. [:(] I think I'll go find some Tylenol. [:D] After a hard week and a half, I am back to thinking I might actually make it a while longer with this pg before I have to do bed rest! Yea!!!

Thanks again!!

Amanda
~i~ Aidan Timothy
4/14/03 29 wks
Expecting again!!!
EDD 6/13/04
amandab

Postby annegarrett » Fri Dec 19, 2003 12:48 am

As you know--lots of things cause headaches in pregnancy--hormones being a big culprit and changes in your blood volume being another. If you were a caffeine drinker and stopped for the pregnancy (no sodas, chocolate, or coffee) then it might even be related to that. That said, I know that the doctors I work with think that women who tend to get migraines should be watched more carefully and headaches are always something to be alert to.

I don't usually get bad headaches but when I was pregnant they were so bad I had to lie down in dark room and turn off the tv to try to control the pain. I sometimes needed prescription pain killers to deal with them.

I think "when in doubt--check it out!" should be our motto. Don't try to figure it out alone--tell your doctor and let them do it.

Take care!!

Anne Garrett
Executive Director
Preeclampsia Foundation
annegarrett

Postby amandab » Fri Dec 19, 2003 01:14 pm

Anne,

Thanks for the response! I vote for that motto! After what happened to me last time, it makes me so sad that some people think that following up on suspicious symptoms is a bad idea.

These definitely aren't migraines. Actually, I'm not even really having pain. It's more of a tightness. I did talk to my OB about all this on Wed. She ran all the tests again, and everything still came back perfect. So she's saying it has to be blood volume or hormone related. She did say if I develop a headache that is worse or won't go away to page her. Is there anything else she could do at this point?

I'm probably her most informed patient. [:D]

Amanda
~i~ Aidan Timothy
4/14/03 29 wks
Expecting again!!!
EDD 6/13/04
amandab

Postby sherry fisher » Fri Dec 19, 2003 01:38 pm

Hi Amanda! I feel your pain with your headaches! I have HORRIBLE headaches while pregnant. Whatever they are, they stink!! My OB has said I could take Excedrin Tension headache, as tylenol does not help mine. It has the same thing as tylenol, but with caffeine as well. Make sure you ask before taking it, but just thought I would mention, it works for me! When I was pregnant with my last son I had horrible headaches as well, my OB gave me prescription pain meds. I am grateful that I can now take something over the counter. Mine do alternate between tension headaches (What you described as tightness in the back of your head and neck area.) and migraines! I hate them...I usually get 2-4 REALLY bad ones a week. Then I feel like crappo the next day. GOOD LUCK! Hope this helps!

Sherry Fisher (28)
DH: Bill (35)
Proud Mama to:
#1) Alex 1/1/94-PE
#2) Abbie 12/17/97-PIH
#3 Will 08/03/02-PP PE
#4) EDD: 4/27/04
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/b/babyfish3/
sherry fisher

Postby amandab » Sat Dec 20, 2003 10:41 am

Sherry,

Thanks for the info! I've been wondering what was in that Excedrin Tension formula. I'll be sure to remember to ask my OB about the Excedrin if the Tylenol stops working.

Amanda
~i~ Aidan Timothy
4/14/03 29 wks
Expecting again!!!
EDD 6/13/04
amandab

Return to Ask the Experienced