Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Unisom

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

Unisom

Postby sweetiesuzy » Mon Jan 19, 2004 06:04 pm

Have any of you taken Unisom - half a tablet - during the first trimester for nausea and help with sleeping? (I think Laura said she did.) If any of you did, how often did you take it and for how long? I have been taking it for a little bit now at night. Not every night, but I am wondering how much is too much?

Please share -
thanks,
Suz

DS 3/25/95
DD 10/26/01 stillbirth
DS 12/30/02
AND ~ Peanut edd 8/6/04
sweetiesuzy

Re : Unisom

Postby laura » Mon Jan 19, 2004 06:39 pm

Hi sweetie- my ob told me to take it every night- taking it at night is supposed to help prevent the nausea the next day. AND he gave me a prescription for another antihistamine- atarax- to help during the day, as needed.

He also said that the unisom is what my mother's generation was using for morning sickness, and it's safety was pretty much established. For me, it wasn't even a question as my hyperemesis was bad enough that if I didn't take it, I absolutely would end up in the ER dehydrated. I prefered those antihistamines to the phenergan or the reglan.

I checked on hyperemesis.org, and they said that some studies show the safety of up to 12 tablets per day (I can't even imagine anyone taking that much and being conscious! But that's just for comparison's sake- 1/2 tablet doesn't seem like much, no?)

Suz- if you have to take one every night or even most nights- it's only temporary, so don't beat yourself up, ok? You're a superb mommy.

Love,
Laura
laura

Postby laura » Mon Jan 19, 2004 06:40 pm

oh yes, and I took it the whole darned time I was sick- through at least six months, and as needed after that [xx(][xx(][:0][xx(][xx(]
laura

Postby kim » Mon Jan 19, 2004 07:50 pm

Hey Suz,

I broke them into quarters, instead of halves, since it made me drowsy. Also, make sure you are taking Unisom sleep tablets, not the gel things. They contain different medicines. Anyway.... From what I have read and been told, Unisom is THE most studied drug in pregnancy and is considered category "A."
Take care!

Kim Schwintz
Texas Chapter President

Ainsley Kathryn 11/26/02-36 Weeks Preeclampsia
http://home.austin.rr.com/schwintz
kim

Postby sweetiesuzy » Tue Jan 20, 2004 06:08 am

Thanks for the reassurance ladies! I guess I get my mind wandering and just want my babe to be safe and OK. My OB had recommended taking it, but hearing it from you guys makes it all feel much better [:)]

Thanks again,
Suz

DS 3/25/95
DD 10/26/01 stillbirth
DS 12/30/02
AND ~ Peanut edd 8/6/04
sweetiesuzy

Postby sherry fisher » Wed Jan 21, 2004 04:52 am

I am just starting my third trimester and called last week for nausea. They said half a unisom every 6 hours as needed and a B-6 a day. Althoug; I elected not, since I have a 17 month running around.

Sherry Fisher (28)
DH: Bill (35)
Proud Mama to:
#1) Alex 1/1/94-PE
#2) Abbie 12/17/97-PIH
#3 Will 08/03/02-PP PE
#4) EDD: 4/27/04
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/b/babyfish3/
sherry fisher

Postby andylisa » Fri Jan 23, 2004 10:41 pm

RE: Unisom.. are they really safe to take in the first trimester? I am worried, because I wont get any sleep without them!! Yikes.. I dont see my doctor for another 3 weeks as I am only 4 weeks pg right now.. thanks..

LISA
andylisa

Postby kim » Sat Jan 24, 2004 08:08 am

Here is info on using Unisom during pregnancy...
http://www.perinatology.com/exposures/druglist2.htm#Doxylamine
The generic name Doxylamine is the Unisom sleep tabs formula, NOT the sleep gels. Unisom is one of THE most studied drugs in pregnancy and is a category A drug. I have only heard of 2 or 3 (including vitamins) that are cat A.
Take care,

Kim Schwintz
Texas Chapter President

Ainsley Kathryn 11/26/02-36 Weeks Preeclampsia
http://home.austin.rr.com/schwintz
kim

Postby andylisa » Sat Jan 24, 2004 11:34 am

HI.. thanks so much, I was tossing and turning last night so at about 2am I took a half of the Doxyaline kind of Unisom. I slept well then. I also have no morning sickness, maybe that is why? So it is safe in the first trimester????

I am so glad to have you ladies to talk with on here.

LISA
andylisa

Postby akemt » Tue Jan 27, 2004 03:18 pm

I just got the OK for unisom today too...started throwing up [xx(] but not anywhere near hyperemesis, THANK GOODNESS! I'm hoping the unisom is enough to keep me from going anywhere near there!

Funny side-note, I called in and talked to the nurse and asked if unisom was on their "OK while PG" list. Was told no...asked why...and was told "It's not safe in pregnancy!" lol So, she talked to the dr (my new dr) and had to call back and tell me she was wrong. lol Poor woman. I think I was pretty rude to her the first time she and I spoke because that is exactly the way DR. Pain-in-the-batootie[}:)] responded when I talked about all the info I'd read reguarding Pre-e. Probably should have explained that to her!

Catherine (22)
DH Britton (27)
Emma Margaret (03/02/03) 37 weeks from PIH & oligo
Baby #2 due August 11, 2004
akemt

Next

Return to Pregnant Again?