BP Very Healthy Life Style (Suggestions)

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

BP Very Healthy Life Style (Suggestions)

Postby alysa » Thu Nov 20, 2003 12:04 am

[:)]For your info:I updated/revised this Post 11-29 - I do believe my suggestions to be helpful, yet always ask your Dr. first regarding any suggestions posted here to be sure it does not interfere in the current care you are receiving.

I originally posted this as a reply but thought I'd add it as a new post as I think this may help a lot of people. - I'd like to add also that some people are taking asprin to help with BP I believe this risky - as it can cause Abrupto Placentia which is very serious (read up about this) Asprin is one of the found causes. As always take care ALL! (I'd like to add that in some cases I realize low dose therapy for help in preventing pree. symptoms may help - and in those who take it to help prevent blood clot.) - Vitamin E is a natural antithrombin to help prevent clots. - If you like ask your dr. about it for this purpose perhaps, if you perfer a more natural approach.

For basic overall health here's some of my personal suggestions in relation to pregnancy and bp as well:

The best thing you can do is make sure you have a perinatologist or atleast if you keep a regular OB seek also a 2nd opinion of a perinatologist OB dr. so you get the best dr. advice possible. Research Preeclampsia as best as possible, stop working if you are working (if you feel this is necessary to your health and if possible - push for it if need be) - try to get state disability payments tell your dr. you want it. Or if you are already not working that is good, - the least activity the better - check with your dr. about what physical activity might be beneficial for your bp. - if you don't agree, if activities make you feel worse, get a 2nd opinion.

I suggest a balanced diet of protiens like Chicken, Turkey, lean Beef, and Salmon. Fruits and Vegetables (raw is actually better for you) and calcium is very important milk, rice milk, and occasional soy milk, yogurt (add granola on top) and occassional cheese.
- On a further note anyone In the mood for Italian?? [;)] Wanted to add: Garlic (when crushed contains allicin (avail. in capsules too) ) is good for the heart and in preventing blood clots and lowering cholesterol/blood pressure, reduce risk of developing atherosclerosis (hardening of arteries), & also can kill organisms like bacteria and viruses; Oregano (spice on about every spice rack) is helpful in lowering blood pressure as well among other things like antibacterial actions and a digestive aid.(This info. taken from "Recipes from the Herbal Kitchen" by Prevention health books' Editors.) Check with you dr if these might be okay for you. -

Avoid refined sugars (don't overload on holiday treats), avoid as much as possible unnecessary artificial flavors or preservatives (check your ingredient labels for these especially: Phenanyline(in gum usually), aspartame (diet foods/no sugar added, and gum usually have this), MSG (Monosodium Glutimate usually in chips or frozen foods), BHT (a perservative usually in frozen foods and cereals), and Sodium Nitrite (usually in lunch/deli meats and hotdogs)). These are unnecessary toxins your body does not need.

Do not add extra salt to your food. Avoid high sodium foods - usually snack foods, processed or frozen foods. Avoid Frozen T.V. dinners as much as possible, and processed lunch meats or cheese - usually more sodium and additives than healthy prepared meals. - but do not avoid salt in foods entirely - as your body needs the sodium also.

Ask your Doctor first but I would add these vitamins to your daily prenatal vitamin regimin:
  • Vitamin C 250 or 500mg (look for one with bioflaviniods)
  • Vitamin E 200IU or 400 IU (ask for all natural vit.E Double check but I think it should be d-alpha derieved not dl-alpha)
  • Calcium/Magnesium complex supplement

lacking these vitamins are possibly related to increase of bp and I suggest them - as they can help even if they may not prevent pree. completely.
{Here's my information on these vitamins}:
Vit.C:antioxident, helps build immune system, and promotes healing.
Calcium for instance helps:heart rhythm, promotes restful sleep, nerve muscle function, and normal blood pressure.
Magnesium:regulates heart rhythm and converts blood sugar.
Vitamin E: besides being an antioxidant,it's an antithrombin, it also decreases the oxygen requirements of muscles, helps prevent scar tissue production, and is a dilator of blood vessels (opening up new pathways in damaged circulation)- {info. taken from this book: "Instant Health The Nature Way": Dr.Shute says regarding Vit. E ..."key both to the prevention and treatment of all those conditions in which a lack of blood supply due to thickened or blocked blood vessels or a lack of oxygen is a factor.."
*Also for a healthy nervous system make sure you're getting adequate amounts of B vitamins and are not deficient - This is important as well and can be aquired in a balanced diet if not supplemented.

And don't forget your water intake - 8-10 glasses a day.

Remove as much stress from your life as possible (if you have any) - and if the stress continues seek to talk with a counselor or someone from church.
I suggest a yoga video you can use in your own home (make sure it is for pregnancy/relaxtion - no power yoga stuff) This is also good for relaxation techniques when you feel your bp rising.
If you don't have this book already I personally like What to Expect When your Expecting- I have a current version of the book, yet not all including myself reccomend it as being thorough in regards to PIH/Pree. It has information on many overall basic pregnancy info. it only contains brief discription of PIH/Pree. always research further for more info regarding Pree. as well -
This book does contain info on Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM) that may interest some thoughpage 246-
A chiropractor, or massage could be beneficial for pregnancy also but it definitely has to be in the right hands so look into these dr.s first that know the do's and don'ts of massage during pregnancy - as massage can trigger contractions if the abdomen (massage lightly only) or feet and ankles or webbing between the thumb and index finger are massaged and don't use aroma therpy oils - they could be too concentrated and harmful to your unborn baby. Be cautious or avoid herbal teas and herbal remedies during pregnancy and nursing - they are not sure of effects on babies and pregnancy.

Print out my suggestions if they help and ask your doctor or perinatalogist if they agree with them before you do anything.Sincerely, someone with a respect for homeopathic techniques combined with doctoral care; and taking care of my own health as well. God Bless, I will pray for you. Feel better! [:)]
Alysa
alysa

Re : BP Very Healthy Life Style (Suggestions)

Postby sweetiesuzy » Thu Nov 20, 2003 03:17 pm

Alysa,
WOW! I have noticed that you seems to have a lot of information about intake during pregnancy. Have you done lots of research or are you in the medical field? Where is your information coming from?

Just curious in a positive way ~
Thanks,
Suz

Suzanna (29)
John DH (28)

Aaryngston DS 3/25/95
Chloe DD Stillbirth 10/26/01
Samuel DS 12/30/02

sweetiesuzy

Postby julie f » Thu Nov 20, 2003 07:10 pm

When I got home from the hospital, the first thing I did was throw away What To Expect When You're Expecting. [:(!]

I'm sorry, I absolutely don't say this to offend - at one time it was my "Pregnancy Bible," I just thought that some people here may relate!

Julie
Zachary James, 7/22/03-7/27/03, born at 26 weeks due to severe pe
julie f

Postby taras mom » Thu Nov 20, 2003 11:45 pm

Alysa, just a clarification: Many of us are taking low-dose aspirin to treat clotting disorders and prevent stroke, not as a bp treatment. The low maintenance dosage (81 mg/day) is one-eighth the dosage usually taken for headaches. Although there's some debate about whether low-dose aspirin has any effect on the risk of PE, it is generally considered low risk.

Julie, I never got What to Expect, but I have to say I'm pretty disappointed in the books I did buy. The only one I'd recommend is the Mayo Clinic Complete Book of Pregnancy and Baby's First Year.

Carol (38)
DH Bill (39)
Tara Mairichi
12/7-12/9, 2002
The Mightiest Little Angel
taras mom

Postby laura » Thu Nov 20, 2003 11:47 pm

Julie- I know what you mean- I think it's a great book for 'normal' pregnancies, but when things get complicated, it really drops the ball! To be perfectly honest, when things got bad for us BOTH times, I felt a little abandoned.

It's great that they've included a complimentary medicine section, though!

Laura-28
DH Jack-30
Allie 5-13-98 (35 weeks-pre-e)
Baby Camille 4-17-03 (36 weeks- htn and oligo)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/c/camilleandallie/
laura

Postby alysa » Fri Nov 21, 2003 10:24 am

I am a mother of a 4 1/2 year old girl whom I gave birth to luckily at 37 weeks with PIH. She came out perfect! Naturally I have genetic health ailments that I believe cause me increased risk to develop PIH in pregnancy as I am now 27 weeks into my 2nd pregnancy (a boy!) and am trying to keep my BP low as possible, as it has been riding up and down and I check it myself also to keep a record at home.

I'd like to mention that the information I stated regarding the book What to Expect When Your Expecting offers a lot of basic pregnancy information that I found more helpfull than other pregnancy books. It is definitely by no means a complete guide for high-risk pregnancy, but it does provide a lot of notable information. Any other good preg. book suggestions? I guess that is where my own research on health comes in.

As far as asprin during pregnancy I read it may actually help prevent preeclampsia in preg. and some dr.'s reccomend it yet with the risk of causing possible other harm. If it is not necessary I personally would not reccomend it. If it is absolutely necessary for other ailments I understand where its use would be needed and my knowledge of asprin in pregnancy is little and hope it serves its purpose well and your doing good.

In response to where I receive my knowledge is mostly from personal research and interest in diseases and how the body functions as a whole and not every body reacts the same. I am more interested in "natural remedies" but acknowledge and know the importance of doctoral care.

My research is from many different books or resources like the internet (Webmd.com - is good), articles & books like The Zone, Adelle Davis (author of Let's Have Healthy Children and other Health/nutrition related books), a personal nurse I had in my first pregnancy who helped me to diagnose PIH before my doctor, my mother who passed on her knowledge for healing through vitamins and natural remedies, learning from my own past Homeopathic Doctor & Chiropractor (that helped me through illness as a teen), personally having hypoglycemia (which I have to control by diet), and having a genetic heart disease (fast heart rate and palpatations - which I did not react well to the prescribed medication, am still in the process of considering and researching alternatives).

I have learned that a Doctor is a good place to start and help cure and or manage any ailment but it should not stop there. Learn as much information as possible for yourself as well and this will help you much more! - If it's not in your current pregnancy book, keep looking prehaps there are high-risk pregnancy books out there? (Let me know if someone knows of any!) Also learning more about diet helps the body in a number of ways, and avoiding toxins from everyday foods is a healthy start - as well as I also recommend organic foods. The more good we put in our bodies the healthier we are.

From my own experience I try to follow my own advice and don't ignore my symptoms if they concern me I make sure they are known and don't accept the doctor to ignore them and tell me it is normal if I honestly disagree; I look into the problem or ask the dr. to as well. I am also considering to learn more about nutrition and who knows write my own book!

God Bless all

Alysa

Chloe (4)
Isaiah (Feb 04)
alysa

Postby alysa » Fri Nov 21, 2003 11:04 am

Note for Suz,

I just had to mention, I took a glimpse at your site and am surprised - my daughter's name is Chloe Rose. She is named this because of my fascination with art and roses (among my other interests). During my pregnancy with her I was painting women and roses - as where her name came about. I also wanted to mention Oct. 25 is my birthday which I found ironic as well.

Your story touched my heart, as I had a threatened miscarrage at the beginning of my current pregnancy (7 weeks along) and understand the fear and feel greatful all is well now.

Your daughter is definitely in the best of hands, God's.
Take care.

(I wanted to add there was one unhappy guest that had signed on your site I thought you would want to remove it.)

Alysa

Chloe (4)
Isaiah (Feb 04)
alysa

Postby julie f » Fri Nov 21, 2003 03:51 pm

Alysa,

Congratulations on your upcoming addition! I hope that you're able to have a PE-Free pregnancy!

I don't know of any high-risk pregnancy books but, I do know that a couple of the women here have posted about two different books on Preeclampsia. However, I can't find the link right now... [:)] but, I'll keep looking.

Julie
Zachary James, 7/22/03-7/27/03, born at 26 weeks due to severe pe
julie f

Postby sweetiesuzy » Fri Nov 21, 2003 07:56 pm

Alysa,

We chose Chloe from the bible - meaning fresh flower. My aunts name was Rose, so it is a family name. That is what her name means to us.

Thank you for letting me know about my guestbook. It just happened over the past few days and it was awful to see. I do not know who would write a thing like that... it makes me sad.

Suzanna

Suzanna (29)
John DH (28)

Aaryngston DS 3/25/95
Chloe DD Stillbirth 10/26/01
Samuel DS 12/30/02

sweetiesuzy

Postby annegarrett » Sat Nov 22, 2003 05:10 pm

Alysa,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on a healthy diet. You clearly have read a great deal about good diets and I personally use and like several of the books you mentioned. The Preeclampsia Foundation recognizes the value of a healthy diet however you may have noticed that we do not list a diet on our main web-page and this if for several reasons.

1) Preeclampsia occurs in different women for different reasons—some women benefit from diets like those you follow, others would not. We are in a delicate situation because we have medical liability to watch out for and so we cannot come out and say—THIS is the cure or THIS is the one diet that will make the difference

2) We do not endorse any treatment or cure, including diets: Low dose aspirin is incredibly helpful for some women. It really depends on the woman and she needs to be fully screened by her doctor. We don’t advise or recommend against it. Some studies suggest an increase in abruption but whether or not those women were headed for abruption or whether the LDA pushed that way is unclear. Again, due to liability reasons—we don’t endorse any one treatment or cure. Nor do we make blanket statements that LDA is dangerous because our medical board does not feel that is accurate.

3) There is no good research on preeclampsia and diet: I would caution you to state things as fact. This section of the website is for women to share opinions and you speak with such intelligence and authority that people might not realize that you do not represent the foundation. The main section of the website is where we put forth what we feel comfortable calling “fact” and these facts are reviewed by a Medical Board of preeclampsia experts who must EACH agree with EVERYTHING we post. That means what we post has been thoroughly screened by the top minds in this field. As a result—we feel comfortable with women taking those pages to their doctors and saying “this is what the Preeclampsia Foundation” says.

4) We specifically do not endorse any pregnancy books—in part because we are a non-profit and that is advertising and would be counter to our non-profit status, but also because we are not impressed with any popular pregnancy books, including the one you mentioned. We did a survey (which we will publish soon) that reviewed the top ten pregnancy books and no one book got higher than a C on an A-F scale of grading. When it comes to preeclampsia—the popular pregnancy books are disappointing and have not shown an interest (when contacted) in improving. Preeclampsia is not something that should only be thoroughly discussed in a high risk pregnancy book—since some 5-10% of all pregnancies get it and up to 15% of first time pregnancies. It should be standard fare in a regular pregnancy book.

You obviously do a lot of good reading and research and should consider donating that talent to the Preeclampsia Foundation. We could use people like you and I think you would find we have a lot of the same goals and interests.

Thanks for your thoughts—

Take care,

Anne

Anne Garrett
Executive Director
Preeclampsia Foundation
annegarrett

Next

Return to Ask the Experienced