BP going up---so upset!

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

BP going up---so upset!

Postby suzanne » Sat Jan 17, 2004 11:51 am

The last few days I've just felt "off" and tired. I dug out the BP monitor I used during my last pregnancy 7 years ago, and have been taking my BP. It's definately higher than it should be. At my appt. a week and a half ago, it was 120/70, which is normal for me non-pregnant, but just now it was 141/91 and it has been running around that, with sometimes the top number being higher (up to 155). I haven't call the dr. yet, as I have an appt. on Friday and I don't know what they would really do at this point (I am about 8 weeks along) besides say to rest, which I am doing. My BP with my 2nd pregnancy really never got high except mildly a few times at the end, after severe PE with my first pregnancy. I took my BP when I was lying on my left side, and it was about 125/70 then, so I know that's what I need to do---stay lying down. But I just feel it will be IMPOSSIBLE to do that long term. I have a 9 and 6 year old, my husband can't take extended time off from work without severe financial implications, and I drive the boys to school twice a day...I know I will do what I have to do, but I am so scared and probably projecting too much at this point. Just wanted to vent to women that understand---thanks for listening!

Suzanne (37) and DH Tony (41) + William (9, severe PE, born at 32 weeks) and Freddy (6, fairly typical pregnancy) and Baby (due approx. 8/26/04!)
suzanne

Re : BP going up---so upset!

Postby julie f » Sat Jan 17, 2004 01:26 pm

Oh Suzanne,

I'm so sorry that your bp is starting to act up. Would it make you feel any better to schedule your appt for earlier this week? I wouldn't hesitate to do so if it may ease your mind. Since your bp is rising early in pregnancy, maybe it is something they can medicate for as it could be chronic htn?

Hang in there,

Julie (26)
Zachary James, 7/22/03-7/27/03, born at 26wks - severe pe
julie f

Postby momathelete » Sat Jan 17, 2004 08:59 pm

Suzanne,

Of course you can't be on bedrest, you are too busy being a mom!!! Okay, now let's get to the details....

Who in your neighborhood can you count on to help with carpooling?
Now is the time to step up and ask for help. Believe me, it is very hard, but it is what is necessary. You need to learn to ask. Swallow your independence and can-do nature. You need to reach out. Call a local church and ask them for people who can help with your family. You have a 6 year old and a 9 year old. They are pretty indepencent at that age, they are going to have to step up too. I really expected alot out of my 4 year old boy to help with my 1.5 year old. Yeah, it isn't fair, but you do what is necessary. Your 9 year old can help make the meals and help with the 6 year old. They are all just going to have to help you out. Interestingly, we do so much for our kids that most of us do not expect much out of them. I know I didn't. I do now.

Ok, that is enough tough love. Maybe if you do take it easy, you won't have to go on bedrest. But I do think you need to plan ahead, just in case. I am hoping that you are able to have a normal pregnancy, hang in there!!!!!

Michelle
mom to Cole Thomas -former 28.5 weeker (3-5-99, 3 lbs)due to HELLP and Madelaine Grace "Lainey" -former 29.5 (10-11-01, 3lbs 4oz)weeker due to Pre-E and had PIH with Elisabeth Rose (Ella) -37 weeker,born June 30th 2003 weighing 5 lbs 12 oz and beautiful.
momathelete

Postby akemt » Mon Jan 19, 2004 10:26 am

Suzanne,

Julie and Michelle are both right. It is likely that you have chronic hypertension and here are some links reguarding that:
Stats of Chronic Hypertension turning into PE:
www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=98

Chronic Hypertension info:
www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=73

And, while it is likely that your BP will be controlled with medication, you do need to prepare or atleast have a game plan should your doctor prescribe bedrest, etc. And, I would call and go in sooner just to be sure that BP is kept under control from the get-go.

Catherine (22)
DH Britton (27)
Emma Margaret (03/02/03) 37 weeks from PIH & oligo
Baby #2 due August 11, 2004
akemt

Postby sweetiesuzy » Mon Jan 19, 2004 01:14 pm

Suzanne,
So sorry to hear about all of this! Please know you can always vent here. I am the biggest "venter" of them all so I understand how important it is to get it all out. I hope you are feeling alright. Let us know how things are going... PLEASE! I worry about so many here.

Hugs,
Suzanna

DS 3/25/95
DD 10/26/01 stillbirth
DS 12/30/02
AND ~ Peanut edd 8/6/04
sweetiesuzy

Return to Pregnant Again?