what should i expect?

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

what should i expect?

Postby e_allen » Thu Jul 22, 2004 03:18 pm

I had a drs appt. today and it went well but we are starting to see the effects of the PIH. She has only gained 5 oz in 2 weeks – from 2 lbs 13 oz to 3 lb 2 oz. so at least she is over 3 lbs but I feel like crying. She’s so small. Also the umbilical cord is working harder than usual now trying to get her proper nutrition. And my amniotic fluid volume is low. So now is touch and go, day by day. I’m 31 weeks today and we are still looking at 35 weeks for birth but you really never know. I kinda feel like crap. I feel like I failed her – like I haven’t done my job as a mom. I don’t think she’ll be 5 lbs at birth now and that was my goal. What should I expect? What did your babies weigh and how long were you able to carry? What should I expect with a preterm and small baby? What are the requirements for her to leave the hospital? Please, anyone, give lots of advice...

Liz
Janell Victory due Sept. 23 - bed rest since 27 weeks - PIH
e_allen

Re : what should i expect?

Postby jenn » Thu Jul 22, 2004 03:30 pm

Liz,
Sweetie you sound so worried.
Take a deep breath.

I'm sorry things aren't going like you planned [:(]

But keep your chin up. Good things come in small packages [:)]
My peanut J was born @ 30 wks and weighed 2.12 lbs.
She's a 3 1/2 yr. old stinker now [;)]
Hospitals and dr's very on what they require to go home.
But J needed to be 4.4 lbs and be gaining weight well from eatting bottles before we could go home.

But do keep a smile + a positive attitude, even if it's day by day.
Aim for the stars.

Prayers for a healthy peanut, and much love to you.

Jennie (24)
Shad DH (29)

Jaidyn 1.24.01 (30 wkr)
Severe PE/HELLP
2lb. 12oz.

Heavenly Angel:
Blaze
(miscarriage)

Natalia Rosse
Due Thanksgiving day!

http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/j/jaid/ (updated May 26th, u/s photos in J's gallery)
jenn
Forum Moderator

Postby raindrop » Thu Jul 22, 2004 03:33 pm

First let me say, sorry to hear about the problems your having. Wyatt was my smallest he weighed 4lbs 6.8oz when he was born lost to 4lbs 3oz. They let me take him home weighing 4lbs 5oz. I have heard that they prefer them to be 5lbs to leave though. Whitney weighed 4lbs 9oz when I brought her home I think.

Good Luck hope she starts putting on the pounds in the next few weeks.

Donna - 32
Richard - 33
Whitney Lynn Rochelle- 6-27-99 - (36 wks due to PE) 5lbs 2oz 18in long
Wyatt Elijah Lawrence- 7-3-03 (34wks 6days due to PIH/PE) 4lbs 6.8oz 17in long
Expecting #3 EDD March 3, 2005

http://www.geocities.com/raindropzplace/Wyatt.html?1057812569412

http://www.imagestation.com/member/?name=raindrop1971

raindrop

Postby angelkat » Thu Jul 22, 2004 03:56 pm

Liz,

Each hospital has a different policy on what the weights, and requirements are before a baby goes home. Usually it depends on if a baby can fed,keep a temp, and some even require a special weight.

The best thing to do is to take one day at a time, for one day in the belly is two days less in the NICU. Sometimes, it's better for the baby to be on the outside where proper nutrition can be given.

Sending you HUGE HUGS

My prayers and thoughts are with you!!!...

Hugs
~T
Moderator Grief and Loss
Mommy to
Drew(13)PE 37 wks
Ky (11)PE 34 wks
~i~ Katlyne(12/9/02-04/02/03)25 wks
Casey Looking at Aug
Katlyne's Tribute Site
http://forevernetwork.com/lifestories/lifestory.cfm?Archive_ID=10971&Directory=/Archives/MountHope&Sort=V
angelkat

Postby angelical » Fri Jul 23, 2004 09:34 am

Good luck! I hope you find the support here that you need to get through this. We have all been right where you are now. (well, not exactly... I had to deliver at 28 weeks!)

Look at the thread at the top of this forum, Hints for New Parents. I think it gives a lot of great advice that I wish I had known.

Take care!
Sharel

------------------------
Sharel O'Connell
Local coordinator for Pittsburgh area
'Parents of Preemies' co-moderator
Survivor of Preeclampsia, HELLP Syndome, & preemie parenting
Future adoptive mom

Aaron (28 weeker, 5/2/02) -- my tiny guy is TWO!
Kevin - DH
angelical

Postby hannahsmom » Fri Jul 23, 2004 03:51 pm

Hi! I had a 1 pound baby who stayed in the NICU for 15 and a half weeks. Before being discharged she had to be at least 4 pounds, breathing on her own, regulating her body temperature, and sucking from a bottle. Good luck to you! Prayers are headed your way![:)]

Suzanne
Mommy to Miss Hannah Rose
26.5 weeker born 8/24/01
severe pre-e & IUGR
1 pound, 1 ounce
12 inches
Miracles do happen!
hannahsmom

Postby wcarder » Mon Jul 26, 2004 06:48 am

Liz~ my heart truly goes out to you right now and I wanted to say that I understand how you feel, but you can't let yourself feel guilty about how your body is handling this pregnancy. I remember being in the hospital - I was in for three weeks prior to my induction at 30 weeks. I was also only 18, and felt like I must've done something wrong and everyone must know...
I had a three pounder at thirty weeks. She never required oxygen and did really well. They called her a feeder and a grower - said that as soon as she could eat and maintain her own body temp, she could go home. However, she ended up needing a PDA ligation and spending a little longer in the hospital. Anyway, she was born August 24, at 3 pounds, 2 oz. She came home Sept. 29 weighing 4 lbs, 6 oz. on a heart monitor and meds. The five weeks in the NICU was horrifying for me - I didn't understand fully what had happened to me or my baby. I didn't know what questions to ask. I refused to leave the hospital when finally discharged a week after her birth. I kept vigil the whole five weeks, in an emotional *. I literally had to be sedated when my tiny girl had to have heart surgery. I remember my own mother, who is extremely religious and was very hurt by my unexpected pregnancy, telling me that this was god's way of punishing me for my sins. It was the worst feeling in this world. I felt so guilty for what happened to my baby - and it took me a long time to realize it wasn't my fault...I spent a few years trying to "Make it up to her", almost ~ (and she is spoiled rotten as a result...hehe.) My little preemie is going to be FIVE and is UNBELIEVABLE. She is so healthy, and has suffered no long term effects. She has no behavioral or learning problems. she is the tallest kid in her class and preparing for KINDERGARTEN this fall. More importantly, we have such a unique bond after going through our frightening ordeal, and she truly is my glue. She holds me together, I love her guts! I'd do it all over again if I had to. The moral to my story is ~ you can only do so much in this situation. It's AWFUL to feel so out of control and helpless. But, so many people here know how you feel and are here to support you. hang in there. You didn't fail your little girl. Someday she will know what her mommy did for her, and how much her mommy was willing to go through for her....she will never feel like you have failed her. I wish you and your little critter the very best. stay strong. this too, shall pass, right?
Wendy
dh- ryan
dd-kenzie celeste, 30 weeks GA
severe PE
wcarder

Postby maxs mom » Thu Jul 29, 2004 05:33 pm

Liz,
It's so normal to have feelings of failure when your body fails in PG. But remember, you have no control over what's happening right now, your body is going to do what it is going to do. The best thing for you is to relax and take deep breaths and think positive. It is nice to have a 5 lb goal, but it's not the end of the world if you don't make it. My Max was a 25wkr at 1lb 3 ozs. He is now 18 months. He is a little developmentally delayed, mostly in speech, but he is making great progress. His health has been excellent! No long term worries.The toughest part for us was the NICU stay, almost 16 weeks. But I highly doubt you'll be looking at that. Your baby is almost 32 weeks gestation which is a great goal to hit. And even though she is growing slow, she is still growing. Just remember, that if by chance she has to come earlier than expected, it really isn't your fault. The docs are going to do what is best for her. It will be hard, but I am sure you are strong and will make it through.

A lot of hospitals will tell you she won't go home until her due date, they just do that to set expectations low. Then a week later they will start saying she will go home at 37 weeks gestation or so. But they will all say the same thing, she needs to be eating on her own (by bottle or breast), breathing on her own, and regulating her temperature (which usually happens around 4 lbs). Most likely, she'll go home at 36-37 weeks gestation (from what I have seen) but don't be surprised if it's sooner, sometimes these little fighters surprise all of us. I know my son did!
Good Luck!
Kara

Kara (34)
DH, John (36)
Max, 1/20/03, 25 wks, 534g. (IUGR), severe PE
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/m/mightymax/
maxs mom

Postby laura » Thu Jul 29, 2004 05:40 pm

Guys- thanks for your compassionate replies to liz- unfortunately, Baby Janelle was born still this past week:
http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4555

Laura
Moderator/AK Coordinator

Mom to Alicia (severe PE) 5/98 and Camille (htn, oligo) 4/03
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/c/camilleandallie/
laura

Return to Parents of Preemies