I got the call...

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

I got the call...

Postby akemt » Mon Mar 29, 2004 01:51 pm

They want me (my OB and the Dr. of Internal Medicine I saw for my echo) to do one of the 24 hour ambulatory BP monitoring things. You'd think that since I've set them up for patients before I'd remember exactly what they are called! LOL Oh well. I'll have to set up an apt. with the Internist to get it all done, but no word on when I should see the OB again. I was expecting her to contact a peri about it instead of him. He gave my heart a clean bill of health at the echo. LOL What is funny though is that he is my 96 (almost 97) year old grandmother's doctor!

Catherine (22), Moderator (pregnant again)
DH Britton (27)
Emma Margaret (03/02/03) 37 weeks from PIH & oligo
Baby #2 due August 11, 2004
akemt

Re : I got the call...

Postby mada » Mon Mar 29, 2004 02:06 pm

Well Ms. Catherine, I hope the test goes well for you! How are you feeling? So what exactly do you do for this test?

Mada Harpster

Sam 6-29-00 36weeks P.E.
Ben 11-03-01 No P.E.
mada

Postby akemt » Mon Mar 29, 2004 02:14 pm

I'm feeling fine...tired, but fine! LOL

Basically they hook you up to a little BP machine (where I worked before they were about the size of a small purse) that is battery operated and you walk aroud, sleep etc with this thing on the entire 24 hours and it takes your BP throughout the day at various intervals. You also keep a little record of what you were doing when it takes the readings so they can see if anything in particular is causing your BP to rise.

OH!!! And I forgot, they want me to do thyroid testing also though said nothing about when/where to do it...LOL Will have to call back in and find out.

DH Britton (27)
akemt

Postby sonja » Mon Mar 29, 2004 07:40 pm

My mom did one of those 24 hour bp monitor things - it makes so much more sense than going off of one or two readings. They should really get a good pictue of what your bp is doing now. Good luck and take care.

Joy
sonja
Forum Moderator

Postby suzanne » Tue Mar 30, 2004 04:43 am

Best of luck with the 24 hour BP test! My aunt did that recently and it helped a lot to figure out what was going on with her.

I will be interested what the thyroid tests show. I have been taking thyroid replacement for years now. At the beginning of this pregnancy when my BP was causing me so many problems, my dose had to be adjusted up several times. I wonder about a connection between PE and thyroid problems. IF you do end up taking thyroid medication (which I hope not!) it's important not to take it at the same time as your prenatal vitamins---no-one told me that, and I was taking them together, which totally made the thyroid meds useless!

Suzanne (38) and DH Tony (42) + William (9, severe PE, born at 32 weeks) and Freddy (6, fairly typical pregnancy) and Baby Girl(due approx. 8/29/04!)
suzanne

Postby taras mom » Tue Mar 30, 2004 05:50 am

You learn something new every day! Suzanne, I've been taking thyroid replacement for about 4 years and nobody ever told me not to take it with vitamins. Fortunately, I take them at different times anyway, but I'd love to know why you're not supposed to take them together. Did they say how the vitamins counteract the thyroid meds?

Carol (38)
DH Bill (40)
Tara Mairichi
12/7-12/9, 2002
The Mightiest Little Angel
taras mom

Postby suzanne » Tue Mar 30, 2004 02:21 pm

I believe it's mainly the iron in the vitamins that interacts with the thyroid meds and makes them less usable. It's interesting you weren't told either! It took my TSH readings going up drastically for someone to realize that was probably the reason. When I took them seperately for a few weeks, the TSH went down a good deal but not enough, so I still had to raise the dose a little! I'm not sure if other parts of the prenatal vitamin also interact. It's hard sometimes keeping my day schedules so I take everything far enough apart from everything else! Great you were already not taking them together, Carol!

Suzanne (38) and DH Tony (42) + William (9, severe PE, born at 32 weeks) and Freddy (6, fairly typical pregnancy) and Baby Girl(due approx. 8/29/04!)
suzanne

Postby akemt » Tue Mar 30, 2004 02:28 pm

They rescheduled my BP monitoring appointment to Thursday afternoon. I did get my thyroid labs drawn though.

DH Britton (27)
akemt

Return to Pregnant Again?