BP and sleep apnea

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

BP and sleep apnea

Postby kimb » Tue Nov 18, 2003 05:44 pm

When I was in the hospital they found that I had sleep apnea - the dr told me this would contribute to the high bp as the body is not resting at night and doing the repairing it is supposed to - my oxygen levels in the hospital were falling as low as 74% when I was asleep. I was able to get into a sleep study about 7 weeks after losing William and it was found that I had severe sleep apnea and am now using a CPAP at night. I am no longer waking up with the massive spikes in my bp. Has anyone else found this to be a problem that may have contributed?
kimb

Re : BP and sleep apnea

Postby taras mom » Wed Nov 19, 2003 04:11 am

I don't know anyone who had apnea during pregnancy, but my husband has sleep apnea and uses a CPAP. He hasn't done a bp comparison (his is usually on the low side), but what you're saying about rest, repair, and oxygen definitely rings true, and it makes sense that it would affect your bp. If he doesn't use the CPAP, he wakes up with dark circles and feels tired all day. The CPAP makes a world of difference.

In case you're wondering, he has very little trouble taking it through airport security, so don't hesitate to take it with you when you travel. (FYI, he brought it with him when he stayed with me at the hospital, and the nurses deluged him with questions. A lot of people would benefit from a CPAP, but apparently they're still a bit of a novelty.[:)])

Carol (38)
DH Bill (39)
Tara Mairichi
12/7-12/9, 2002
The Mightiest Little Angel
taras mom

Re : BP and sleep apnea

Postby ileana » Wed Nov 19, 2003 05:35 am

We had a similar discussion a while ago. There was a study done on linking pree with snoring (there's a note on sleep apnea too):

http://my.webmd.com/content/article/20/1728_53925.htm?src=wtraf&dest=Womens_Conditions

Here's the previous discussion

http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=448&SearchTerms=snoring

I've been tossing and turning all night long about this. I sleep a lot and sometimes I still wake up tired...
My PCP will go nuts when I am going to ask for another referral [:D] I'm the perfect hypochondriac right now. But I need to know.

Ileana 33
Angel stillborn 24w p-e 2/17/03
ileana

Return to Ask the Experienced