Totally Confused

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Totally Confused

Postby mrsright41401 » Sat Nov 22, 2003 08:55 am

Six weeks ago @ 28 weeks pregnant, I was diagnosed with mild pre-eclampsia. The doctors and the nurses aren't telling me anything, they just pat me on the head, tell me to stay in bed, and send me on my way. My blood pressure has averaged out at around 143/96 but after reading the "Ask the Experts" post on hwo to take blood pressure, I've realized that it may be higher because they have me laying down on my side with my arm above my heart.

At my last doctor's appointment, they admitted me to L&D because my bp was high (didn't tell me what it was) and the first bp check they did at the L&D my pressure was at 175/130. They rolled me completely on my side and it dropped dramatically. Was still high, but the bottom number was only in the 90s.

Besides high blood pressure, I've had the following symptoms.

Headache
Vision change (even went and had my eyes checked by an optometrist)
Dizziniess and faintness
Ringing in the ears
Abdominal Pains (Stabbing pains that come and go)
I pee very little at each bathroom visit
I am still puking EVERY single day.
I am constantly confused. (Last night I asked my husband what the door to our storage closet led to.)

My weight gain had been really slow and all of a sudden I'm gaining 4-6 lbs per two weeks.

I'm confused what I need to be looking for. The only reason I recognized some of the symptoms above as symptoms was last night I got on WebMD.com to try and educate myself and found that somethigns I've been dealing with are symptoms! I can't go to another hospital, I can't change doctors as I don't have a specific doctor assigned to me, and I go to L&D only to be sent home with no more information as to why I'm feeling this way or what I'm experiencing a few hours later!

What am I looking for? What do I worry about? Why at 34 weeks aren't they preparing me for a premature birth? I AM SO ANGRY.

Rachel

mrsright41401

Re : Totally Confused

Postby laura » Sat Nov 22, 2003 10:36 am

Ok Rachel- you must must must get a second opinion! Even if you can't change the hospital you're delivering at, you can still do a consult with a perinatologist- you can look for one close to you at http://www.nasshp.org (for peris that specialize in hypertensive pregnancies) and http://www.smfm.org for regular perinatologists.

This is difficult and scary and you have to rock the boat, but really the outcome of your pregnancy and perhaps even your health may depend on it! 175/130 is incredibly, incredibly dangerous during pregnancy, by anyone's standards. The criteria for severe- let's deliver this baby now- preeclampsia is 160/110 and/or 5 grams of protein in a 24 hr urine. At the very least DON'T let them take your pressures lying down. Print out the response from the Experts, remind them that ACOG recommends sitting up- ask them to note in your chart that they're refusing to record your pressures sitting up- do whatever it takes to get an accurate BP.

I must go, I have an obligation- but please, email me through the link provided under my profile if you want to talk. take care, and DO YOUR KICK COUNTS!

Laura-28
DH Jack-30
Allie 5-13-98 (35 weeks-pre-e)
Baby Camille 4-17-03 (36 weeks- htn and oligo)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/c/camilleandallie/
laura

Postby julie f » Sat Nov 22, 2003 11:08 am

Rachel,

I just have to echo what Laura said. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE get a second opinion, as soon as you can! I would think if you mention your symptoms, you would not need to wait for an appt w/a new OB, I can't imagine why they wouldn't see you immediately. By the time my bp reached what yours is now averaging, they already had me on mag sulfate in L & D. [xx(]

One thing I was told in the hospital is that the headache, vision changes and ringing in your ears could be from swelling on the brain - not something your doctor should be taking lightly! I'm no doc but I am also wondering why they aren't even talking about the possibility of a premature delivery, 34 weeks is very good I would think - we're praying to make it there next time.

Please keep us updated. And, if things start to get worse, don't hesitate to go to the ER.

Keeping you in my prayers,

Julie
Zachary James, 7/22/03-7/27/03, born at 26 weeks due to severe pe
julie f

Postby mrsright41401 » Sat Nov 22, 2003 12:24 am

The time my BP ws at 175/130 they discounted it because I had been "active" for a few minutes before they took it (sitting in the doctor's office and walking (they took my wheelchair) to the L&D only a few feet away.) She said (the Captain who is a nurse) that I was probably just too excited and that it didn't count. What bothers me is that my BP could go up that high while I'm WALKING to the bathroom... even if I'm on bedrest the rest of the time.

*sigh*

About the 2nd opinion. I'm calling Tricare and requesting to be referred out, but they are sticklers on this and it's not likely to happen. I hate the military health system, they treat you like a number and everyone gets the same treatment no matter what their case.

Rachel
mrsright41401

Postby mrsright41401 » Sat Nov 22, 2003 12:32 am

You know - I just had another thought. I don't know what my BP was with my lsat pregnancy, but I was admitted for my water leaking at 32 weeks and my sweet little boy was born at 34 weeks. I had been having HORRIBLE pain in my abdomen and they did an u/s to see if it was gallstones. I just read that one form of Pre-E can be mistaken for gall bladder problems. Could I have been showing signs of Pre-E then and the doctors just didn't notice?

I think I'm going to go to L&D today. I've thrown up twice and I'm having really bad pain in my abdomen not to mention my baby has been a little quiet the past two days. Still moving, but not enough to satisfy my fears.

I'll let you know what happens.

Rachel
mrsright41401

Postby julie f » Sat Nov 22, 2003 03:13 pm

Rachel,

Abdominal pain was the first indication that something was wrong for us. I had been having a little swelling the week before but,nothing that would seem unusual for a pregnant woman. One morning I had horrible pain right below my rib cage and called my dr. She said it was probably heartburn and to try Mylanta if it returned. If the Mylanta did not help, she said to call back or head to the hospital if it was after hours. Well, that night we ended up in Labor & Delivery, they monitored me for a bit (my bp was really high but they told me it was probably nerves) and released me saying that it, "was not a baby problem" and most likely my gallbladder. We then went to the ER because the pain was so severe. In the ER, my bp was high (nerves again they said...), we found out I had gained 9lbs. in 2 weeks, I was spilling protein in my urine and my ALT & AST enzymes were elevated - they STILL sent me home w/vicodin and told me that it was probably gallstones. The next morning I saw my OB and she immediately checked me into the hospital w/pe. She said that the pain in my abdomen was not my gallbladder, it was my liver...

Sorry for my long winded story but, when I saw you mention possible gallstones, I just had to share this.

Please give us an update after you get home from L&D.

Julie
Zachary James, 7/22/03-7/27/03, born at 26 weeks due to severe pe
julie f

Postby taras mom » Sat Nov 22, 2003 11:10 pm

You're probably there already, but I'm tempted to suggest going to L&D and refusing to budge until they deliver your baby. I can't believe they're sending you home with your signs & symptoms! It's time to get tough, for you and the baby. Good luck!

Carol (38)
DH Bill (40)
Tara Mairichi
12/7-12/9, 2002
The Mightiest Little Angel
taras mom

Postby akemt » Sat Nov 22, 2003 11:26 pm

Rachel, if a request doesn't work...DEMAND. This is by no means a good place to be sitting healthwise. I also cannot beleive the level of care you have recieved with your signs and symptoms. Those are dangerous blood pressures. Do not be timid in requiring quality care. Go outside of the Tricare system if necessary...Your lives may depend on it, especially if they are ignoring all the warning signs. Whether or not your in the danger zone here IS NOT the question. If what you have been telling us is correct, I'm shocked you haven't progressed to an even MORE severe level already. Make sure there is someone checking up on you all throughout the day if you are home alone, and PLEASE get adequate care. I don't mean to scare you needlessly, you just need to know how serious this condition is and you are not in a wait and see situation. You need constant monitoring and either delivery or treatment at this point. PLEASE, do all you can and let us know what happens. I am worried for you and saying a prayer on your behalf right now. I pray that everything will turn out okay.

Catherine (22)
DH Britton (27)
Emma Margaret (03/02/03) 37 weeks from PIH & oligo
akemt

Postby taras mom » Sat Nov 22, 2003 11:31 pm

I wonder what would happen if you just picked the hospital you wanted and showed up at the emergency department.

Carol (38)
DH Bill (40)
Tara Mairichi
12/7-12/9, 2002
The Mightiest Little Angel
taras mom

Postby cinammo » Sun Nov 23, 2003 07:02 am

Hopefully you are in the hospital by now, but you aren't I would call the Inspector General on base tomorrow (monday). It's been a few years since I was bound to the military system but the hospital may have their own IG(Call the hospital/clinic and ask if they do, then complain) Also, if you feel your life and this babies life are in danger you need to go to a civilian hospital anyway. I know that this will cause a stink but when you get there tell them everything, including the fact that the military is ignoring your symptoms. I know money is a factor here, but don't risk your life. Go to the civilian ER!
cinammo

Next

Return to Ask the Experienced