Vitamins and more during pregnancy

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Vitamins and more during pregnancy

Postby sweetiesuzy » Fri Sep 26, 2003 09:32 am

I know that many of you have tried different things in subsequent pregancies to try to keep preeclampsia at bay - at least for a while. What are some of the things you took? Vitamins and whatever else. Thanks for the info.

Suzanna [:)]
sweetiesuzy

Re : Vitamins and more during pregnancy

Postby mada » Fri Sep 26, 2003 01:09 pm

Hey Suzanna..Does this mean your prego? I know that some women on the board took fish liver oil and omega 3. Also, I heard magnesium and calcium help too. i am sure LAura will have the skinny on the rest[:D]. Hope you are doing well darlin'!!

Mada Harpster

Sam 6-29-00 36weeks P.E.
Ben 11-03-01 No P.E.
mada

Postby erin2003 » Fri Sep 26, 2003 02:30 pm

I am almost 26 weeks and started taking 1000mg of Vit. C and 400iu of Vit. E as per my Peri's direction. This is on top of the Prenatals. There has been studies to do with these two vits over seas and the idea was touched upon on the Today Show. Not sure if it will help ward off the on-set but we figured it wouldn't hurt either!

Take care

Erin [:)]

Me 27 DH 28
^|^ Jackson Andrew
Jan 21-25, 2003 (27w5d)
Pre-E, HELLP
EDD #2 Jan 6, 2004
C-section scheduled for Decemeber 31, 2003
erin2003

Postby rachel » Fri Sep 26, 2003 03:52 pm

HI Susanne...
My peri put me on Fish Oil, Vitamin E, Baby Aspirin, and Calcium. Along with my prenatals, and the lovenox I'll be taking when I get pregnant... I've never ever taken so many pills before!! Good luck to you in TTC!

Rachel

Mommy to Kailee - born at 28 weeks
12/20/01
1lb. 13 oz.
rachel

Postby sweetiesuzy » Fri Sep 26, 2003 04:36 pm

Mada my dear...
No - I am not pregnant yet. I hope that I am soon though. When it is time it will happen. I am just trying to research as much as I can and prepare myself for what I may be against during my pregnancy.
Thank you for you input!
Suzanna

Tune your ears to wisdom, and concentrate on understanding. Proverbs 2:2
<><
DS 3/25/95
DD Stillbirth 10/26/01
DS 12/30/02

sweetiesuzy

Postby mada » Fri Sep 26, 2003 06:13 pm

Good for you to be proactive[:)]. I am sending you happy conceiving vibes!!! Hope you are having fun in the process[:D].

Mada Harpster

Sam 6-29-00 36weeks P.E.
Ben 11-03-01 No P.E.
mada

Postby hellpful_me » Fri Sep 26, 2003 08:45 pm

Hi Suzanna,

My doctor had me on baby aspirin, pre-natals, and tons of extra folic acid.

The dr explained that folic acid would help promote cell growth. He thought it was necessary because of the previous placental abruption and IUGR. I don't think it was meant to prevent pre-e or hellp, but it was to lessen the damage that they can cause. I haven't heard of anyone else on the extra folic acid, but I thought I'd throw that out there for you to discuss with your doctor.

Hoping all the best of luck to you when you decide to take the next step.

Jen
Matthew-stillborn @30wks
Ben-Hellp survivor
hellpful_me

Postby taras mom » Sat Sep 27, 2003 00:48 am

I'm an MTHFR mutant, so I'd probably need extra folic acid even if I weren't TTC. I'm also taking baby aspirin, along with my BP meds. I asked two doctors about taking other extra vitamins, but they both said it wasn't wise to risk overdoses, so for now I'm just getting what's in the prenatals.

Tara Mairichi
12/7-12/9, 2002
My little angel
taras mom

Postby laura » Sat Sep 27, 2003 09:35 am

Boy, you guys seem to have covered most of the bases! I do have to throw in the cautionary 'the Foundation doesn't endorse any particular treatment or cure' for preeclampsia. Most of these supplements are only in the beginning stages of research, so there's no blanket prescription for any of this stuff other than a garden variety prenatal vitamin. (Does this mean that I personally won't stock up on the anti-oxidants with my next pg? Nooooo.[:D]But then again, I could just be clueless, ya never know)

Part of this is the fact that they have yet to differentiate the different paths we have all arrived at PE from: clotting disorders, autoimmune, hypertension, genetics, or just plain bad luck. It stands to reason that no one supplement will be helpful to all women. That's why it's especially important to check with your doc. He or she may have a better insight into why one may work better than another for you specifically.

Now, you may resume your regularly scheduled broadcast as originally planned[:p]

Laura-28
DH Jack-30
Allie 5-13-98 (35 weeks-pre-e)
Baby Camille 4-17-03 (36 weeks- htn and oligo)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/c/camilleandallie/
laura

Postby lisac » Sat Sep 27, 2003 07:32 pm

How about excercise? I was really inactive during my last pregnancy, and I got hit hard & early with preeclampsia. I've heard that there are theories that walking may prevent or delay it.

Anybody have thoughts about that? It seems like it couldn't hurt.

Lisa
lisac

Next

Return to Ask the Experienced