Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Vitamins and more during pregnancy

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Re : Vitamins and more during pregnancy

Postby iansmom » Wed Oct 01, 2003 06:35 am

Hey - another vitamin question. Has anyone taken fish oil supplement (omega 3) to help prevent? I have read about upping antioxidants, but never specifically fish oil. In a Time article I was reading it mentioned that fish oil has been linked to lessening autoimmune diseases. The article was not in any way related to preg - just good nutrition. I don't like fish, so I was wondering about the supplements and the possible benefits - even though all tests have revealed that I do not have underlying auto immune type stuff, would it hurt to add that supplement. It's good for the heart, anyway!

Ian 12/26/01 - 26 weeks
iansmom

Postby laura » Wed Oct 01, 2003 08:44 am

Hey Lisa C, I think they're studying that very thing at UW right now. And Anne has said that of her pregnancies, the only one where she didn't develop PE was when she was walking every day, there may be some truth to it! But then, when asked one of the experts said that walking has a long term sort of benefit rather than the short one needed to stave off PE. There's definitely not consensus on that one (but when is there ever?[}:)])If I could keep from- ahem- morning sickness-ing all over myself, that's something I would definitely try in the future.

Ian's mom- when my BIL developed htn and kidney disease, the first thing his nephrologist did was put him on fish oil pills. It would seem to me that since fish is safe to eat during pregnancy (with the exception of the mercury tainted ones) that fish oil supplements would be safe, too. Now, as I am daring to say this, I'm bracing myself for lightening, and the discovery that fish oil causes babies with scales and fins or something. So, let's all say it together, "check with your doctor first" I did notice Rachel said her peri put her on them, and I think I've heard other women say the same. Good idea!

Laura-28
DH Jack-30
Allie 5-13-98 (35 weeks-pre-e)
Baby Camille 4-17-03 (36 weeks- htn and oligo)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/c/camilleandallie/
laura

Postby ileana » Wed Oct 01, 2003 09:33 am

My 2 cents on this is... real food is better than supplements. You should rather eat lots of berries than Vit C and E and fish rather than Fish oil supplements.

About not liking fish, you should at least try it while pregnant. I can normally eat and love all nuts, but I hated a box of chocolate covered Macadamia nuts I got while being pregnant. I fantasize that the body sort of knows what's good and, if fish is good for you, you might start liking it.

Of course we all crave potato chips and what are they good for? [:p]

Ileana 33
Angel stillborn 24w p-e 2/17/03
ileana

Postby annegarrett » Wed Oct 01, 2003 09:49 am

Though remember--avoid sushi and sashimi [:(] caviar and anything else raw, for that matter. You can make up for lost time later...[;)]

Anne
annegarrett

Postby paljane8 » Wed Oct 01, 2003 07:04 pm

Iansmom,

Yeah, I was on 1000mg 2x a day of Omega-3. FYI, it also helps relax an irratable uterus in some women. If your dr ok's it, be sure to use the purest form of tablets you can get. Mega doses of other minerals may not be good for baby.

Just a side note, you have never really burped until you burp up fish oil! [xx(]

Nancy-35
dh-34
ds-8yrs
dd-almost 7yrs
Scott-born 05-14-99 @38 weeks-PE
Janie-born 05-12-03 @37 weeks-PIH, small for gestational age (oligo and low blood flow)
paljane8

Postby taras mom » Wed Oct 01, 2003 11:53 pm

Has anyone seen extra-nutrient eggs? They have extra vitamin E and omega-3 and something else (DHA? something with 3 initials). They give the chickens a special diet, but they're not free-range. [:(] They cost almost twice as much as ordinary eggs, but the box says "Supports a Healthy Pregnancy," which pushes all my sucker buttons.

Tara Mairichi
12/7-12/9, 2002
My little angel
taras mom

Postby tina » Thu Oct 02, 2003 06:06 pm

Mada - I just read something about those eggs in a magazine (sorry, can't remember which one [:p]) and it said that you were better off to eat fish high in omega-3 fatty acids (like salmon). Although the eggs did contain more omega-3's than regular eggs, the amount of increase was not huge. I think it said that you would get more omega-3's from eating one ounce of fish than from one egg.

Tina
tina

Postby taras mom » Thu Oct 02, 2003 07:27 pm

That makes sense; besides, enslaved chickens can't lay truly good eggs.

Tara Mairichi
12/7-12/9, 2002
My little angel
taras mom

Postby lisac » Thu Oct 02, 2003 09:29 pm

I just read a short article in Cooking Light magazine that stated this regarding walnuts and omega-3 fatty accids:

"With just a handful of walnuts--1/4 cup to be exact--you'll get all
the omega-3's you need in a day, about 1.9 grams (the same amount found in 4 1/2 ounces of cooked salmon)."

...for those of you who don't like fish!

lisac

Postby sweetiesuzy » Fri Nov 14, 2003 08:04 pm

Sorry to bring this post back around, but I am being a bit neurotic about pregnancy at the moment. No I am still NOT pregnant [:(]

Did any of you start the regimen of vits and such while ttc? I am only taking my prenatals at the moment. I just read an article that suggested taking in extra folic acid while ttc can increase your chances of conceiving twins. Which then I think about the high risk of having hbp with a multiple pregnancy. I was shocked to read this and I take it as just a theory. Has anyone else heard of this happening?

I am feeling scared about another pregnancy. I actually had a dream the other night that I died while giving birth because of hbp. I think my mind is my worst enemy. Has anyone had these thoughts or dreams?

Ugh. I think I am exhausted. Thanks for listening to me!

Suzanna

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined." - Thoreau

DS 3/25/95
DD Stillbirth 10/26/01
DS 12/30/02

sweetiesuzy

PreviousNext

Return to Ask the Experienced