Time Management .. useful info

Time Management .. useful info

Postby timelessbeauty » Thu Aug 17, 2006 08:26 am

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060814/BUSINESS/608140332&SearchID=73254027555411

I have noted that one of the most problematic things that can occur with a volunteer organization can be lack of good time management which can lead to burn out quickly for the volunteers involved. A non-profit organization operates much like a small business at first with many volunteers doing multiple jobs to cut down on overhead or because the "business" is still looking to find the right "employees" for the jobs at hand.

"Experts tell clients to establish business hours -- whatever works for them and their family -- and to set boundaries." [:0]

So often for many of us that I have heard in within our organization or otherwise, it's so easy to get overwhelmed at how mcuh work is needed to be done. And the excitement of helping and working for a common caust can get the better of a volunteer to the point where it takes over their life and they are wrapping their family around their "volunteer job" rather than wrapping the volunteer position around their family life. Setting boundaries could be a key.

i.e. I will Volunteer 1-2 hrs per day based on if and when my 2 young children nap during the day to offer some quiet time and hands free usefulness.

"A big emphasis is on urging clients to keep control of their schedule and not let their employees, customers or e-mail hijack their day."[}:)]

Ok, raise your hand if you are trapped by your computer?[:I] Remember, much like you can always let the answering machine catch your calls when you just need that 5 minutes of peace in your house or to do that one thing you've been wanting to do all day, email doesn't have to be answered as soon as it comes in. BUT .. let's not forget that accountability has to be worked in as well. This is not a recommendation for ignoring all emails without at least letting others know you need a "vacation" from the tasks at hand or delegating to someone else to help meet deadlines.

Much like any relationship, if you do not take care of yourself first, no one else will, and you are not much good to yourself or anyone else, if you are not at your full potential, rested and ready to go. As the vast majority of the members of this forum are MOMS, that comes with the all encompassing job description of Jacquie of All Trades. It many times means we leave ourselves to last on the list to get any kind of help, pampering, or time out to enjoy life on our own for a moment. Well, I'm here to help guide you back to taking that one deep breath a day you need, BREATHE!!!

Soo .. with that said, I would like to start this thread to help others by asking ... [?]

WHAT DO YOU DO TO HELP MANAGE YOUR TIME EFFECTIVELY? WHAT ARE YOUR SECRETS TO GREAT TIME MANAGEMENT?

What do I do? [8D]

• I write down things I need to get done and cross them off as I come to them
  • I keep a planner and mark in all important dates with a colored pen or pencil to help alert me to events/important deadlines coming up
  • I make an attempt to work on projects when it doesn't interfere with family time (such as naps), I need my rest at night, too [|)]
  • I organize by color coding[;)] and trying to keep all my paperwork in one place (I created a PF binder and storage bin)
  • I use my email/calendar program to help alert me to up coming events as well
  • I try to network with as many friends as possible on the forums and in life because two heads are better than one at coming up with great ideas for project outlines, time savings ideas, delegating work to cut down the time needed

I may be able to come up with many many more but I would like to hear from you on this topic! [:)]
timelessbeauty

Re : Time Management .. useful info

Postby allic » Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:40 am

First, I'm raising my hand. (in reference to your "trapped by your computer" question) [:I]

I also make lists and use a daily calendar. If I have 10 things to do on a Monday, but I know I will only have time to do 5, I try to space things out during the week and only work on completing the most important tasks on Monday.

I also have a box that I throw items into that I have to take care of, but at my leisure. If I get a day when my husband is going to be home for an extended period, I use that day to go through that box and try to empty it out. It's usually requests for donations, a lawn service "invitation" that wants to come evaluate our lawn, a group of photos I want to put in an album for a family member, maybe some papers that need to be filed, etc.
allic

Re : Time Management .. useful info

Postby angelkat » Thu Aug 17, 2006 08:43 pm

I "tend" to get trapped by my puker when I am home, BUT... am a wonderful time manager at work (have to be when timed meds, blood draws, etc...)

I have a planner which has my goals listed for the week and I try my best to get them done!.
angelkat

Return to Indiana