Post Reply FAQ Members Login

How did today's WAT's go?

Connect with Promise Walk coordinators and volunteers to share ideas, ask questions, and learn how to host or participate in a Walk in your area!

How did today's WAT's go?

Postby sandy » Sat May 12, 2007 11:48 pm

by sandy (1138 Posts), Sat May 12, 2007 11:48 pm

Thinking of all WAT coordinators today as we had many walks this morning! I know some are to follow in the next few weeks (month?) ahead.

How did everyone do?

The San Diego WAT was AMAZING! We had gorgeous weather, beautiful scenery, great music by a professional d.j. who donated his time (excellent song selections, Alicia), a motion photographer who donated his time and I'm sure caught all the moments we will want to remember, and hard working, compassionate, energetic walkers and volunteers. Everything went as we had hoped. :)

I arrived at 6:45am, which I thought was a few minutes early, to find the rest of the WAT planning committee (Becky, Carin, Paula, Alicia) and their husbands already there, wide-eyed, and ready to go! We had so much help from volunteers that set up, take down...the entire morning went smoothly. Somehow, between my car, Alicia's, and Becky's, we managed to get 8 dozen donated blue and white helium-filled balloons to the walk site.

We had 65 walkers pre-registered and another 11 adults plus one child walked up and registered this morning, so I think we had a total of 77 walkers. In addition to sponsor materials in the bags walkers received (thank you, Julie Feller, for sharing the blue bags), and the t-shirts, walkers enjoyed tasty energy bars from Luna/Cliff Bar and a huge water bottle donated from Glaceau ("Smart Water").

As walkers set off on the walk, they read many "thank you" signs and informational signs with statistics about preeclampsia posted along the route. Becky's father and Paula worked hard getting those signs made, and it really made a difference. As walkers returned from the walk, they were met with more donated waters, donated organic bananas, and beautiful donated flowers; each one individually wrapped and in it's own water source, with a Mother's Day message hand printed on the back of each card attached to each flower.

We accepted donations for the blue Preeclampsia Foundation bands, we had a photographer volunteer his time to take pictures of families and groups of walkers for a nominal donation and all proceeds went towards our WAT total, and the San Diego Chargers sent us a new football jersey (with tags) yesterday that I decided to have a "jersey goes to the highest donation offer by 11:00am" non-silent auction; we collected $75 from that.

All in all...sponsor money, donations, registration fees, with everything...we surpassed the $5,000 mark that we'll be able to send to the Preeclampsia Foundation. Carin alone received pledges for $1,000 of that!

A huge "thank you" to everyone who helped make San Diego's walk a memorable one!
sandy

Re : How did today's WAT's go?

Postby julie f » Sun May 13, 2007 01:31 am

by julie f (7993 Posts), Sun May 13, 2007 01:31 am

Way to go Sandy - that is AWESOME!!!
julie f

Postby kara » Sun May 13, 2007 01:54 pm

by kara (6614 Posts), Sun May 13, 2007 01:54 pm

Madison, WI WAT had beautiful weather, and beautiful people! We had about 18 adult walkers and BUNCHES of kids, and one dog! We had another 3 walkers that were unable to make it, and a TON of monetary donations. We had a raffle of several fun items including a Disney Pssporter Basket, a Tastefully simple Basket, Chinese silk scarves, glass candle holders, and a Pier One serving dish set. We sold some PE bracelets, too!! We had water donated by PF members and their family members, as well as granola bars. And a fantastic after-party at my house! I think we will be close to the $3,000 mark for the PF! Next year will be even bigger and better!! THANK YOU!
kara
Forum Moderator

Postby sandy » Sun May 13, 2007 02:10 pm

by sandy (1138 Posts), Sun May 13, 2007 02:10 pm

Kara,
Your WAT sounds like it was a wonderful morning. I like the idea of the "after party" and I think that might be incorporated into the San Diego walk next year.

When our walk was over and everyone had packed up and was leaving, I felt like I wanted to stay and hang out more...maybe at another location or something. An "after party" sounds like a really nice idea.

Great work!!
sandy

Postby arj » Sun May 13, 2007 04:26 pm

by arj (1251 Posts), Sun May 13, 2007 04:26 pm

Nice job, Sandy! I know that you poured your heart and soul into the WAT, and I'm glad to hear it was such a success. Now go enjoy much needed rest on Mother's Day!
arj

Postby grace04 » Sun May 13, 2007 09:11 pm

by grace04 (497 Posts), Sun May 13, 2007 09:11 pm

Great job both Sandy and Kara. Thank you for all of your hardwork in coordinating walks in your area! I am thrilled to hear they went well. I love the idea of having statistics along the walk site. It is so great to read and hear about the many ways that awareness and education are getting out to the public. Great job! [:D]
grace04

Postby kdreher » Mon May 14, 2007 08:20 am

by kdreher (2482 Posts), Mon May 14, 2007 08:20 am

Awesome job to you both, Sandy and Kara!
kdreher

Postby angelkat » Mon May 14, 2007 09:07 am

by angelkat (3423 Posts), Mon May 14, 2007 09:07 am

Great Job to you both! I hope the Dayton Walk does as well...

angelkat

Postby denise » Mon May 14, 2007 09:36 am

by denise (5480 Posts), Mon May 14, 2007 09:36 am

That's great Sandy! I love the gathering of ideas from everyone, too.
denise

Postby Dawn D » Mon May 14, 2007 03:08 pm

by Dawn D (504 Posts), Mon May 14, 2007 03:08 pm

So great to hear of your successes (great participation and lots of $$ raised). Good job coordinators... awesome ideas from the signs to photgrapher to after-party. So exciting!

Good Luck to all WATs yet to take place!

Dawn D

Next

Return to The Promise Walk for Preeclampsia