NEW HERE...MY STORY & ?'S

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

NEW HERE...MY STORY & ?'S

Postby mernae » Tue Jan 06, 2004 05:14 pm

HELLO, EVERYONE! WHAT A WONDERFUL SITE AND A WONDERFUL GROUP OF WOMEN FROM READING YOUR POSTS. I WISH I WOULD HAVE FOUND THIS SITE SOONER!

I AM 36 AND JUST HAD MY 2ND SON 6 WEEKS AGO. MY FIST DS IS 9 1/2. I CONCIEVED HIM AFTER 3 MISCARAIGES. I WAS INDUCED WITH HIM @ 39 WEEKS DUE TO PE. I REALLY DIDN'T KNOW THAT MUCH ABOUT IT AT THE TIME. I JUST KNEW I HAD HIGH BP AND A LOT OF SWELLING AND PROTIEN IN MY URINE TOWARDS THE END. I STARTED WITH IT AT 34 WEEKS AND WAS ON BEDREST UNTIL I WAS INDUCED. HE WAS HEALTHY WEIGHING IN @ 8LB 14OZ! I DIDN'T HAVE ANY PROBLEMS AND WAS ABLE TO GO HOME THE NEXT DAY WITH BABY.

LAST YEAR I GOT PG AGAIN. MY BP WAS HIGH RIGHT FROM THE START. MY OB HAD ME GET AN APPOINTMENT WITH A CARDIOLOGIST, BUT I NEVER MADE IT BECAUSE I ENDED UP MISCARRYING AT 10 1/2 WEEKS. AFTER MY M/C MY BP WAS NORMAL AND AT MY 2 WEEK CHECK UP MY OB HAd ME TAKE 1 BABY ASPIRIN A DAY. I GOT PG RIGHT AWAY AND AT MY FIRST APPOINTMENT MY BP WAS GREAT! MY BASELINE WAS 110/63. IT STAYED THAT WAY FOR THE 1ST AND 2ND TRIMESTER. AT 29 WEEKS I ENDED UP IN THE HOSPITAL FOR PRETERM LABOR AND STAYED FOR 4 DAYS(BP STILL GOOD). I CAME HOME ON COMPLETE BEDREST AND TAKING PRECARDIA FOR MY CONTRACTIONS. PROCARDIA IS ALSO A MEDICATION FOR HIGH BP. AT 32 WEEKS I STARTED GETTING HIGH BP. MY OB WAS CONCERNED BECAUSE I WAS ALREADY ON BEDREST AND TAKING THE ASPIRIN AND THE PROCARDIA. AT 35 WEEKS I HAD BEEN FEELING WORSE. I WAS SEEING SPOTS AND VOMITING. THANK GOODNESS I HAD ALREADY HAD AN APPOINTMENT THAT DAY AND WAS SENT TO THE HOSPITAL RIGHT AWAY FOR INDUCTION. I WAS ON MAGNISIUM SULFATE RIGHT AWAY. ONCE MY BP WAS STABLE I WAS INDUCED. I GOT THE EIDERAL PRETTY EARLY BECAUSE I WAS SO WEAK FROM THE VOMITTING THAT I COULDN'T TAKE THE CONTRACTIONS. AFTER BEING ON THE EPIDERAL MY BP TOOK A BIG DIP TO 89/34. I FELT SO LIFELESS I THOUGHT I WAS DYING. THEY THEN PUMPED ME UP WITH EPHEDRINE TO GET MY BP UP. IT WAS SUCH AN AWFUL LABOR. I NEVER FELT SO SICK BEFORE. LUCKILY I ONLY HAD TO PUSH FOR 15 MINUTES. I DIDN'T GET TO SEE MY BABY FOR LONG. HE WAS SENT RIGHT TO NICU. I WAS SO TIRED AND SICK THAT I DIDN'T REALIZE THERE WAS ANYTHING WRONG WITH HIM. ABOUT 5 HOURS LATER THE NICU DR. CAME AND SAID THAT MY SON WAS IN SHOCK FROM THE MAGNESIUM. HE HAD A PRETTY HIGH DOSE OF IT. THEY SAID THAT HE FELT 10 TIME WORSE THAN I DID ON IT. AS HIGH OF A DOSE THAT HE GOT HE COULD STOP BREATHING. HE HAD SOME BREATHING PROBLEMS, BUT WAS BETTER AT THAT TIME. HE WAS ALSO VERY PALE.
I WAS IN SHOCK. I FELT SO BAD BECAUSE NEVER DID I THINK ANYTHING WOULD BE WRONG WITH HIM DURING MY LABOR. MY OB SAID THAT MY RISK WAS WORSE AND SHE WAS AFRAID I WOULD HAVE A STROKE OR GO INTO SEIZERS. MY FIRST DS CAME OUT OK AND I WAS ON MAG. WITH HIM. I NEVER KNEW THAT COULD AFFECT THE BABY.
MY SON WAS IN NICU FOR 10 DAYS. HE CAME HOME HEALTHY. I STILL HAD ELEVATED BP AND WAS PUT BACK ON BED REST AND SAW MY OB WEEKLY. AS DOWN TO 120/82.
HERE ARE MY QUESTIONS;
*IS IT POSSIBLE THAT HIGH BP CAUSED MY MISCARRAIGE?

* DOES BABY ASPIRIN REALLY HELP WITH PE (IT SEEMED TO WITH ME IN THE BEGINNING)

*BECAUSE I HAD PE THE FIRST PG IS THAT WHY I HAD IT AGAIN OR DOES AGE HAVE A LOT TO DO WITH IT.
*WHAT ARE MY CHANCES OF GETTING IT AGAIN (DOUBT I WILL HAVE ANOTHER ONE..TOO SCARED)

*IS IT COMMON FOR BABIES TO GET A HIGH DOSE OF THE MAG.? IF SO WHY AREN'T WE WARNED ABOUT THIS.

*ARE THERE ANY LONG LASTING AFFECTS ON BABY AFTER THIS?

*NOW THAT IT'S BEEN 6 WEEKS AM I CLEAR FROM PE OR SHOULD I STILL BE CHECKING MY BP?

THANKS FOR LISTENING...SORRY SO LONG!

RENEE-36
DH-33
DACODA - 5-11-94 (39 WEKKS-PE)
CAYDEN - 11-21-03 (35 WEEKS - PE)

mernae

Re : NEW HERE...MY STORY & ?'S

Postby sonja » Tue Jan 06, 2004 05:21 pm

Wow, I can only answer a few of your questions, I did not realize that Mag could get to baby, but I guess you have to weigh your odds on that one. As for the baby asprin, there is lots of debate on that one, I have come to the conclussion that it is not helpful unless you have a blood clotting disorder, something that can be determined from blood tests. Yes, if you had it once your risk of having it again is higher. I know you will get answers on your other questions - the ladies here are great. Also, keep up with your appointments until you are cleared with your OB and call if you feel bad.
sonja
Forum Moderator

Postby sarab » Tue Jan 06, 2004 06:03 pm

Hello, and welcome! I don't really have too many answers to your questions, but the others will chime in soon, I'm sure. I was on a high dose of mag, and my daughter was very lethargic for a few days after delivery. She came out breathing on her own, but ended up on a vent because the mag had "worn her out". I was told this was normal. I have never heard of a baby going into shock due to the mag, that must have been pretty scary. I don't really know about any of your other questions, but I just wanted to say hello! I'm glad to hear that you and your baby are doing well now.

Sara, 23
DH, Scott, 25
Maggie Lylas, 6/9/03, 29 weeks, severe pre-e
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/m/maggielylas/
sarab
Site Admin

Postby akemt » Tue Jan 06, 2004 06:24 pm

WOW! That is alot of questions to try and answer at once and I don't have all the answers. I'll try and do my best though.

As to the Miscarriage, it is possible that you have an underlying condition (autoimmune disorder/clotting disorder) that increases your risk for PE and some of those can also greatly increase your risk for miscarriage. In fact, the tests ran to determine if you have a predisposing risk factor for preeclampsia are the same tests ran on women with multiple miscarriages. In some of these cases, the patient can benefit greatly from asprin therapy. I know that some doctors think it works wonders in avoiding/lessening the affects of PE while others don't think it has been proven effective.

Your risk for having PE in a second pregnancy is higher if you had it in the first. And one of the risk factors is increasing age. They seem to think that the results of the study done that suggested a different father was what put women at higher risk was actually more of an age difference between pregnancies. Did that make sense? lol

The stats on recurrance range anywhere from 20-60%. There is another question on the "ask the experienced" board today with the same question. My only input is that while it is possible to go through a 3rd pregnancy PE free after having had it twice, IMHO it is likely you'll get it again. (not a dr)

I do not know about the mag or any lasting affects to the baby.

And, as to whether or not you should be taking your BP...that is a question you should ask your doctor. If you are still on BP meds or you continue to have BP's above your pre-pg norm, then I would continue taking them untill your dr tells you otherwise.

Hope this has helped!

Catherine (22)
DH Britton (27)
Emma Margaret (03/02/03) 37 weeks from PIH & oligo
Baby #2 due August 11, 2004
akemt

Postby laura » Tue Jan 06, 2004 08:19 pm

Oh Renee- Welcome! I'm sorry that you had to go through all that! I do know that whenever possible, they will try to wait as long as possible to start the mag until after you deliver because the mag does have such a huge effect on the baby. When I was induced for PE, I was given my epidural as soon as I hit 5cm dialated, because the epidural drops your BP, and then as soon as I had my baby, they started the Mag.

You must have been so sick that they gave you the mag because they thought it was necessary to keep you alive, even though it would be hard on the baby. They must have been really worried about you! And I know they said that baby felt 10x worse than you did- but I know from experience that you must have felt horrible with all that Mag. Thank goodness you and your baby are safe now! I did some searching around, and didn't find any indication at all that baby would have any long term problems because of the mag, and some scientists have thought that mag might even help prevent cerebral palsy in low birthweight babies.

Many women will get preeclampsia with a first pregnancy and then never get it again. For other women, as they age, their problems with pregnancy hypertension will get worse, especially if they have a family or personal history of high blood pressure.

Your doc was probably worried about your immediate postpartum pressures, because the risks of preeclampsia extend into the postpartum period, and you can have postpartum preeclampsia. I was my sickest 10 days after I delivered. After the postpartum period- after 6 weeks- you don't have to worry about preeclampsia anymore, though you'll probably want to check periodically to make sure you're not heading for chronic hypertension. Please take great care with yourself- you've just been through a tremendous experience, and do let us know how you're doing!!

Laura-28
DH Jack-30
Allie 5-13-98 (35 weeks-pre-e)
Baby Camille 4-17-03 (36 weeks- htn and oligo)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/c/camilleandallie/
laura

Postby julie f » Tue Jan 06, 2004 08:46 pm

Renee,

Welcome and I'm sorry all you had to go through but I am so glad that you have two little kidos to show for it!

I'm not sure about all your questions but, I can give you my experience with a couple.

About the mag - I was put on it 6 days before they delivered my son and kept on it for 2 days afterwards. I was assured by the NICU team and the OBs that they mag would not hurt the baby. They said that he would be sluggish for a bit after birth while it worked it's way out of his system but, that it would not have any lasting affects. They also told me I had no choice.

About the aspirin - I've read just as much stuff that says it will help as I have that says it won't. I think every case is different and it depends on your "reason" for getting pe. I'll be taking it in my next pg and pray that it does something positive for us.

Again, welcome this is a great place for information and support!

Julie (26)
Zachary James, 7/22/03-7/27/03, born at 26wks - severe pe
julie f

Return to Ask the Experienced