Should I or Shouldn't I

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.
Registered User
Posts: 4961
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2003 07:35 pm

Re : Should I or Shouldn't I

Postby akemt » Thu Feb 26, 2004 02:30 pm


I just thought I'd give you my opinion on the matter, though I haven't actually been where you have so it only somewhat applies.

I had PIH that caused Oligo (low amniotic fluid with high risk of IUGR among worse things) at about 29 weeks with my daughter and it scared the bejeezees out of me. They thought I would have a 29/30 wk baby...then a 31 weeker, 32 weeker, etc. Luckily, everything turned out fine for both of us (bedrest worked) and my daughter was safely delivered at 37 weeks on the dot.

My husband and I come from a very family oriented group...both our families, religion, etc. We had originally discussed having 3-5 children and when the hyperemesis, oligo, and PIH hit, we realized that may be a bit too many pregnancies for us to go through. We decided while pregnant with our first that we would atleast try once more. We want to make our original goal of 3-5 but not knowing what the "norm" for my pregnancies will be, we have decided to wait untill after the 2nd to make any more concrete plans.

So here I am now 16 weeks pregnant with our second. I have not had hyperemesis though my morning sickness has still been plenty unpleasant. I am still taking unisom to keep food down and be able to eat somewhat normally (emphasis on somewhat [;)]). My blood pressure has been slowly increasing but no where near hypertensive (from 100's/60's to upper 120's/80's). So, things look good. I expect a good outcome even if things take a turn for the worse. I realize that there is potential for a long NICU stay and complications, but at this point, I am glad that we have made the decision to give our daughter a sibling. Though, I honestly could not tell you if we will try for a third yet! LOL

Catherine (22), Moderator (pregnant again)
DH Britton (27)
Emma Margaret (03/02/03) 37 weeks from PIH & oligo
Baby #2 due August 11, 2004

angie darby
Registered User
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 05:47 am

Re : Should I or Shouldn't I

Postby angie darby » Thu Feb 26, 2004 06:50 am

Thank you everyone for your kind words. It has been so nice to hear from people who have been through the same experience and go on to have more children. Lots of love to you all for being so kind and I will let you know what I decide XXXXX

Registered User
Posts: 91
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2003 01:12 pm

Re : Should I or Shouldn't I

Postby lauras » Wed Feb 25, 2004 05:05 pm

Definitely talk to a specialist. My daughter was born at 30 weeks and I was terrified and felt terribly guilty for a long time. I am currently 14 weeks and am having no complications. I go to a great perinatologist whom I see every 2 weeks. I did all of the post preeclampsia testing and the ANA test came back positive so he has me on asprin/heparin therapy. He also has me lying down to rest when possible. We were surprised with this pregnancy and at my first visit were pretty scared but with all of the knowledge and precautions I actually feel a measure of control. There is no way of knowing the outcome but I do know that at least I'm aware and trying to do my best and thats been a comfort to me.

I wish you all the best.

Laura 32
DH 32
Isabella 11/25/01 - 30 wks -severe pe
Hoping for another girl 8/24/04

Registered User
Posts: 114
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 05:42 pm

Re : Should I or Shouldn't I

Postby suzanne » Wed Feb 25, 2004 03:33 pm

It's a very hard decision, I know! I agree with all that talking to a medical professional with knowledge of this area would be helpful. After my first son was born at 32 weeks weighing 3lb, 8oz by emergency C-section to save both our lives, I told my husband that would be our one and only child! However, I reconsidered, and my pregnancy with my second son was almost as perfect as a pregnancy can be. Now it's 10 years after that first pregnancy, and I'm pregnant again, and this time have had many BP problems already, just at 13 weeks. So I guess my point is there is no absolutes here! But what has been a comfort to me is knowing that after a tough first pregnancy, the second (and third and so on!) will be watched very closely, and that the mother has learned the very hard way what to watch for and be careful about! Best wishes to you!

Suzanne (37) and DH Tony (41) + William (9, severe PE, born at 32 weeks) and Freddy (6, fairly typical pregnancy) and Baby (due approx. 8/26/04!)

User avatar
julie f
Registered User
Posts: 7993
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 11:56 am

Re : Should I or Shouldn't I

Postby julie f » Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:48 am


Ditto to what all the other wpmen here have said - it really helps to meet with a high-risk OB for a pre-pregnancy consult. Of course they can't give you any garauntees but, it helps to know that you're as prepared as you can possibly be.

My husband and I plan on starting to try again next month, thanks very much in part to encouragement and support I have found here.

It's a really tough decision I know. There is just so much out there that we can't control, I wish you the best of luck in your decision.

Julie (27)
Zachary James, 7/22/03-7/27/03, born at 26wks - severe pe

Southern California Coordinator

Site Admin
Posts: 2950
Joined: Thu May 08, 2003 04:50 pm
Location: Utah

Re : Should I or Shouldn't I

Postby sarab » Wed Feb 25, 2004 09:19 am

Hi Angie,

My daughter was also born at 29 weeks. She weighed 2 lbs., 12 oz., and spent 7 weeks in the NICU, so it sounds like our situations are similar.

We are definitely planning on trying again. Like Mada and Laura suggested, we are going to consult with a peri. I am also trying to get my body in the best shape possible, so that if I get pree again, my body may be able to handle it a little better (hopefully!). [:)]

The decision is not an easy one, and I wish you all the best in your quest for another child. Keep in touch, and let us know what happens.


Sara, 23
Local Coordinator, Utah

DH, Scott, 25
Maggie Lylas, 6/9/03, 29 weeks, severe pre-e

Registered User
Posts: 5139
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2003 12:17 am
Location: Anchorage, AK

Re : Should I or Shouldn't I

Postby laura » Wed Feb 25, 2004 09:02 am

I definitely agree with Mada, if you're thinking of trying again, the next step is definitely a trip to see a peri, to figure out the risks and developing a gameplan.
Have you checked out APEC yet? It sure sounds like they have a great support system in place and their website has the specialists that see their women listed by region.

take care, and please let us know what you decide!

Moderator/AK Coordinator

Mom to Alicia (severe PE) 5/98 and Camille (htn, oligo) 4/03

Registered User
Posts: 4081
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2003 01:09 pm

Re : Should I or Shouldn't I

Postby mada » Wed Feb 25, 2004 06:53 am

Hi Angie, Welcome to the forum. I know how hard it is to try and make a decesion about having another child after your first experience. One good thing you could do to help you is to have a consult with a perinatalogist(high risk ob). They can help you with treatment options, test to see if there are underlying factors that contributed to the pre-e and give good info. I am not sure where to go about finding one where you live but we have several members from the UK and hopefully they will chime in. Goodluck and hope you can find a great doc[:)]

Mada Harpster

Sam 6-29-00 36weeks P.E.
Ben 11-03-01 No P.E.

angie darby
Registered User
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 05:47 am

Should I or Shouldn't I

Postby angie darby » Wed Feb 25, 2004 05:56 am

I have been thinking for a while now whether I should have a 2nd child. My first was born at 29 weeks due to pre-eclampsia. I can only remember the whole experience as being upsetting, worrying and something never to be repeated. That though was 5 years ago, I am now 36 and thinking should I go for it and take the risk. Only thing is I couldn't bare going through what I did before. My son was only
2 lbs 4 oz and had to spend 8 weeks in hospital. I would love to hear from anyone who may have been in this situation. [:)]

Return to “Pregnant Again?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests