Post Reply FAQ Members Login

could these symptoms be related to bp?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

could these symptoms be related to bp?

Postby lisa d. » Sat Nov 01, 2003 01:36 pm

by lisa d. (12 Posts), Sat Nov 01, 2003 01:36 pm

Hi, everyone. You've all been such a big help in the past few days, so I'm back with another question. Since yesterday am my bp's have hovered in the 150's-160's/90's again with a very occasional diastolic dip into the upper 80's. I've had only one lower reading with 146/85. Knowing that all was fine on Thurs, I've tried not to worry too much about it, but today, I'm feeling kind of weak, fuzzy headed, mildly headachy, and sluggish. I can't decide if I'm getting sick or if it could be the bp. It's not the type of symptoms the Dr. told me to watch out for. You ladies have lots more experience with all this...what do you think? Unrelated? Am I stressing myself out just because I know the bp's are higher than I like? I don't want to make too much of this if it's most likely unrelated.
-Lisa
36w
lisa d.

Re : could these symptoms be related to bp?

Postby leighann » Sat Nov 01, 2003 03:48 pm

by leighann (214 Posts), Sat Nov 01, 2003 03:48 pm

I felt like that a lot. I was never sure if it was the pregnancy or the PE so I would alwaya page a dr and let them decide... and often times if it wasn't my ob who was on call the dr would say just rest and I'd go to the hospital anyway. I finally decided it wasn't worth it to sit and worry about whether or not I was okay so I'd go to L&D if anything was off. I never got HELLP, but my Pe did get more severe before delivery. BP's were high even on bedrest at the end and were the worst after I delivered. Anyway I think being careful was what kept me sane, otherwise I'd sit and worry. Hang in there and if in doubt, go to L&D.

Leighann 26
DH-Charles 30
DD- Gabrielle Marie born 7/23/03, 12:45am at 37.5 weeks due to pre-e
She weighed 6lb 8oz and was 18 inches long!
http://www.imagestation.com/members/mrslmfuller Click that link to see my imagestation albums
leighann

Postby lisac » Sat Nov 01, 2003 04:59 pm

by lisac (247 Posts), Sat Nov 01, 2003 04:59 pm

Hi Lisa,
I agree with Leighann that it's always best to page a doctor and report your symptoms. Then you can have a little more peace of mind. I know sometimes it's hard to tell if you're focusing too hard on things or if there's really a change. Do you check protein at home?
Lisa
lisac

Postby lisa d. » Sun Nov 02, 2003 06:23 am

by lisa d. (12 Posts), Sun Nov 02, 2003 06:23 am

Thanks, Lisa and Leighann. I slept part of yesterday afternoon and went through a couple of doses of Tylenol cold and felt some better by last night. Plus bp's came down a little in the evening so that made me feel a little better too. So I held off on calling, but will keep an eye on things today to see how I feel. I'd really like to hold off another week if I can, but we'll see if Ethan will cooperate. [:I]

I don't check my protein at home, Lisa, and didn't really think about the possibility. It might make me feel better to be able to. What would I need to get to be able to check it and what would I be looking for? With delivery in no more than 2.5 weeks it might not be worth it to get the kit or whatever, but I would feel better being able to watch it.

Thanks!
Lisa
lisa d.

Postby lisac » Sun Nov 02, 2003 12:28 am

by lisac (247 Posts), Sun Nov 02, 2003 12:28 am

Hi Lisa,
I've never actually checked protein at home, but I was told that I'd be doing that in my next pregnancy. I think I've heard that the kits can be purchased at any drugstore. The process is supposedly very easy. It may be worth asking your doctor about; but I'm assuming you're going in for examinations quite regularly anyway.

Lisa
lisac

Postby laura » Sun Nov 02, 2003 02:51 pm

by laura (5139 Posts), Sun Nov 02, 2003 02:51 pm

It is very easy to check your protein, my only suggestion is call around first to see if your pharmacy carries them. The big pharmacies- like walmart and safeway don't carry them here, I had to locate one of the old fashioned type pharmacies to find mine. The only drawback is that the ones I got cost around $50.

What have your proteins been running at the dr's office? You'd be watching for changes in protein. If you've been running a trace, and all of a sudden you have a +2 or higher (a PE diagnosis is made with a +2) you'd definitely want to call in to your doctor. Protein with PE can get bad very quickly, so checking your urine between visits is a pretty darn good idea.

The caveat? The dips of urine are very influenced with how concentrated your urine is. SO- if you drank a lot (which you should be doing anyway [:D]) the dip may not reflect the actual amount of protein you're spilling. Still, it's better than nothing!

AND I hate to be the gloom fairy... but make sure your Tylenol cold doesn't contain sufafed (Pseudoephedrine) as it will raise your BP. I innocently took it with PG #1 after being put on bedrest for PE, and thought my dr's eyes would pop out when I told him. Apparently, a big no-no.

I hope you're feeling better!!!

Laura-28
DH Jack-30
Allie 5-13-98 (35 weeks-pre-e)
Baby Camille 4-17-03 (36 weeks- htn and oligo)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/c/camilleandallie/
laura

Postby lisa d. » Sun Nov 02, 2003 06:03 pm

by lisa d. (12 Posts), Sun Nov 02, 2003 06:03 pm

I'm glad you mentioned that about the Tylenol Cold. The dr is the one that's had me taking it throughout this pg to help control my allergies and thus prevent asthma problems. However, we haven't really talked about it since I got put on bedrest. I'll check on it.

The urine dip kit is something I'll have to think about. Protein was still trace at my last appt on Thurs, and it would be nice to watch it, but it's also a bit expensive for something I'll use at most another 2 weeks. I'll have to give it some thought.

thanks for the info,
Lisa
lisa d.

Postby leighann » Tue Nov 04, 2003 04:10 pm

by leighann (214 Posts), Tue Nov 04, 2003 04:10 pm

Hi Lisa, glad you are feeling better. I would recommend checking protein... I know for me it helped me feel more in control. Anytime I wanted to know what was going on, I would check it and know I was ok or not ok. My insurance paid for monitoring through Matria (www.matria.com) and they gave me a container of the strips. So it's possible your ins might pay for the monitoring, you might want to ask the dr, and they will give you the strips.

Leighann 26
DH-Charles 30
DD- Gabrielle Marie born 7/23/03, 12:45am at 37.5 weeks due to pre-e
She weighed 6lb 8oz and was 18 inches long!
http://www.imagestation.com/members/mrslmfuller Click that link to see my imagestation albums
leighann

Return to Ask the Experienced