Post Reply FAQ Members Login

collecting data on pumping

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

collecting data on pumping

Postby canada1 » Sat Jun 07, 2003 10:34 am

by canada1 (36 Posts), Sat Jun 07, 2003 10:34 am

Hi Everyone!

I am really interested in collecting some data about women who have made the choice to exclusively pump. I thought that since many women who have preemies pump in order to later try breastfeeding that this might be a good place to go for info. I started pumping when my son was born at 31 weeks with the intent to breastfeed. But that didn't work out and I have now been pumping for 6 months-hoping to go for a year.

I get so frustrated when I hear about the poor information that people are sometimes getting from medical professionals and LCs (although I know that some are giving excellent advice). It also frustrates me that there hasn’t been, to my knowledge, any research or data collected about EPing. So, I would like to do a very informal survey of those women who are currently EPing or those who have in the past and have already weaned, including women who may have EPed for a limited period and then moved onto formula or transitioned to breastfeeding.

I would love everyone who feels comfortable sharing this information to participate regardless of how long you have been EPing or how long you plan on doing it. If you are still EPing, I would also like to be able to contact you once you have reached your goal to find out if you were able to make it to your goal and if not, why. I would really like to see if there is any relationship to how supply is initiated when EPing, the pumping schedule women maintain, the volumes that women are pumping, and the length of time EPing.

What am I going to do with this info? Well, I guess initially just compile it and see if there are any trends that come to the surface and possibly in the longer term compile it into a paper and see about getting it published in order to share the info with those people who should know about it (doctors, LCs, etc.). I won’t use anyone’s name (unless I course I get permission).

If you are interested in sharing this information please answer the questions that follow and email your info to me at casemore1@yahoo.ca. Also, if you know of anyone who is currently EPing or has in the past, please ask them if they are interested in participating.

I feel so thankful that I am able to EP for my son when bfing didn’t work out, and I think that others would choose this option too if more information and support was out there.

I know there are quite a few questions, but I really appreciate and value your input.

Thanks,

Stephanie & Graeme (EPing 6 months)

1. How long have you been EPeing (or how long did you)?

2. What is/was your long term goal?

3. If you are no longer pumping, did you reach your goal? If no, why not?

4. How did you establish your supply- pumping or breastfeeding?

5. If pumping, how often and for how long did you pump?

6. When first pumping, how long did you pump for each session and how many sessions per day?

7. How long did it take for your supply to become established (i.e. when it reached its peak or when it was consistent in volume)?

8. When established, what was you average volume per day?

9. What type of pump do you, or did you, use?

10. At what point in time did you start cutting pump your pumping sessions?

11. How many times have you dropped sessions? And when dropping sessions did you see a decline in volume?

12. When you cut back pumping sessions did you increase the length of time you pumped? If so, by how much?

13. If you are no longer pumping, how did you start to eliminate pumps (eg. sleeping through the night, starting solids, etc.)?

14. What was the biggest determining factor that led you to start reducing pumping sessions?

15. At what point did you start to see your volume decline (length of time, # of pumps/day, etc.)?

16. Is/was your supply sufficient for the needs of your baby?

17. If not, at what point did you need to supplement?

18. Do you use, or have you used, any herbal supplements or prescription medication in order to increase your supply? If so, which ones? And at what point in time did you need to use them?

19. If you built up a freezer stash, approximately how much did you have in the freezer at its fullest?

20. If you are no longer EPing, did you use all your stash?

21. Have you had to dump any of your stash?

22. Anything else that you would like to add?

Thanks so much for your input!

canada1

Re : collecting data on pumping

Postby care-o-line » Sat Jun 07, 2003 02:16 pm

by care-o-line (21 Posts), Sat Jun 07, 2003 02:16 pm

It has been a while so I don't know how my answers will be, but I'll try.

4-5 months, than supplemented until the baby was 6 months old.

6 months

suddenly at about 4 1/2 months my supply went way down - i think cause of stress of in-laws visiting. I tried to get it back up but couldn't - plus that was around the time that baby started sleeping through the night and I was sick and tired of getting up out of bed every three hours that I stopped getting up so that also contributed to a decreased supply. Normally babies eat more during the day when they are sleeping throught the night - but with a pump it seems hard to mimic eating more. I tried pumping longer periods, but that didn't make a difference.

pumping

every three hours for 15 - 20 minutes

6. When first pumping, how long did you pump for each session and how many sessions per day?
same as above

7. How long did it take for your supply to become established (i.e. when it reached its peak or when it was consistent in volume)?
2 weeks, i think

3-5 oz each time, every three hours. Way more than what my baby could eat - and when my baby was able to eat that much is when it started to decrease

Medela - hospital grade pump

about 4- 5 months

11. How many times have you dropped sessions? And when dropping sessions did you see a decline in volume?
It took a few days of dropping sessions to notice a difference. I would say 4 days.

12. When you cut back pumping sessions did you increase the length of time you pumped? If so, by how much?
can't answer that one - not sure

13. If you are no longer pumping, how did you start to eliminate pumps (eg. sleeping through the night, starting solids, etc.)?
sleeping through the night and only pumping when I was uncomfortable

14. What was the biggest determining factor that led you to start reducing pumping sessions?
decreased supply and frustration

15. At what point did you start to see your volume decline (length of time, # of pumps/day, etc.)?
too detailed - can't remember

way too much milk first 4 months

about 4-5months

18. Do you use, or have you used, any herbal supplements or prescription medication in order to increase your supply? If so, which ones? And at what point in time did you need to use them?
Mothers Milk herbal tea

19. If you built up a freezer stash, approximately how much did you have in the freezer at its fullest?
Don't know cause I was always throwing it out after grocery shopping so that I could fit stuff in the freezer. I had tons and tons.

yes

at least 3/4 of it

It seems to me that with pumping it's almost impossible to increase your supply to meet baby's demands.

Caroline - 26
dh - 25
dd Sylvia 8/21/02- 32weeks- 3lbs,5oz- pre-e
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/s/sylviakim/
care-o-line

Postby canada1 » Sun Jun 08, 2003 05:52 am

by canada1 (36 Posts), Sun Jun 08, 2003 05:52 am

Thanks for taking the time to answer these questions Caroline! I really appreciate it.

Stephanie
canada1

Postby angelical » Sun Jun 08, 2003 10:26 am

by angelical (330 Posts), Sun Jun 08, 2003 10:26 am

1. How long have you been EPeing (or how long did you)? 10 weeks

2. What is/was your long term goal? I had hoped to nurse for about 6 months.

3. If you are no longer pumping, did you reach your goal? If no, why not? No. Having a 28-weeker, I had to pump (of course), and then after Aaron came home, I had to go back to work. It just got to be too difficult to fit pumping into my full-time mothering and full-time work schedule (hats off to those who can!). Then, I got mastitis. THAT'S when I decided to quit. [xx(] (Aaron was 10 weeks old at the time.)

4. How did you establish your supply- pumping or breastfeeding? I started pumping the day after giving birth. It seemed like after a day or two of nothing, once my milk came in, I was FINE. The nurses in the NICU were always exasperated at me for filling up their freezer!

5. If pumping, how often and for how long did you pump? While Aaron was in the NICU, I pumped every 2 to 3 hours for 10-20 minutes each. Once he came home & I went back to work, I pumped 3 or 4 times per day for 10 to 20 minutes each.

6. When first pumping, how long did you pump for each session and how many sessions per day? Every 2 hours for about 1/2 hour.

7. How long did it take for your supply to become established (i.e. when it reached its peak or when it was consistent in volume)? After about 1 or 2 weeks.

8. When established, what was you average volume per day? 150 to 200oz per day probably.

9. What type of pump do you, or did you, use? While Aaron was in the NICU, I was able to use the hospital pump. At home, I had the $100 one from Walmart. I think that contributed to my problem... I was "used to" the really good pump, and couldn't do as well with the low end one. [V]

10. At what point in time did you start cutting pump your pumping sessions? After 6 weeks ... when he came home & I went back to work.

11. How many times have you dropped sessions? And when dropping sessions did you see a decline in volume? n/a

12. When you cut back pumping sessions did you increase the length of time you pumped? If so, by how much? Not really.

13. If you are no longer pumping, how did you start to eliminate pumps (eg. sleeping through the night, starting solids, etc.)? Cold turkey. When I got mastitis, I wasn't able to pump and it just dried up & I didn't try to restart it.

14. What was the biggest determining factor that led you to start reducing pumping sessions? Mastitis was the big wake-up call, but going back to work really hurt it. I just didn't think there was enough hours in the day to do it. [V]

15. At what point did you start to see your volume decline (length of time, # of pumps/day, etc.)? n/a

16. Is/was your supply sufficient for the needs of your baby? Yes, very.

17. If not, at what point did you need to supplement? n/a

18. Do you use, or have you used, any herbal supplements or prescription medication in order to increase your supply? If so, which ones? And at what point in time did you need to use them? No.

19. If you built up a freezer stash, approximately how much did you have in the freezer at its fullest? A lot. Not really sure how much. I filled a small deep freeze. [:I]

20. If you are no longer EPing, did you use all your stash? No. I went ahead and just switched him to formula.

21. Have you had to dump any of your stash? Yes. I dumped what was left over when I switched to formula.

22. Anything else that you would like to add? Nope.

I am interested to see the results of this survey. I hope that lots of women respond to you.

Sharel

Sharel & Kevin
Aaron - 28 weeker
Born 5/2/02 due to preeclampsia & HELLP
angelical

Postby canada1 » Sun Jun 08, 2003 02:02 pm

by canada1 (36 Posts), Sun Jun 08, 2003 02:02 pm

Hi Sharel-
Thanks for completing the questions! 10 weeks is a long time to provide mother's milk- you should be really proud of that accomplishment!

Best wishes,
Stephanie
canada1

Postby angelkat » Sun Jun 08, 2003 05:13 pm

by angelkat (3423 Posts), Sun Jun 08, 2003 05:13 pm

[quote]Originally posted by canada1

Hi Everyone!

1. How long have you been EPeing (or how long did you)? I pumped for 3 1.2 months

2. What is/was your long term goal? My goal was to try to BF but nature had other thoughts for me

3. If you are no longer pumping, did you reach your goal? If no, why not? My daughter passed away But I did make my goal I pumped as long as I could for her

4. How did you establish your supply- pumping or breastfeeding? I never had a good supply since she was born at 25 weeks and the stress was just over coming.

5. If pumping, how often and for how long did you pump? I pumped every 2 hours durning the day and slept all night

6. When first pumping, how long did you pump for each session and how many sessions per day? I pumped every 2 hours for 15 mins

7. How long did it take for your supply to become established (i.e. when it reached its peak or when it was consistent in volume)? I don't think it really ever came in...

8. When established, what was you average volume per day? about 100cc

9. What type of pump do you, or did you, use? Hospital grade PIS

10. At what point in time did you start cutting pump your pumping sessions? I didn't

11. How many times have you dropped sessions? And when dropping sessions did you see a decline in volume? I never dropped sessions...

16. Is/was your supply sufficient for the needs of your baby? NOPE

17. If not, at what point did you need to supplement? We had to supplement about 3 weeks....

18. Do you use, or have you used, any herbal supplements or prescription medication in order to increase your supply? If so, which ones? And at what point in time did you need to use them? I drank Root Beer took reglan, and feeugreek

19. If you built up a freezer stash, approximately how much did you have in the freezer at its fullest? I only wish I had some in the freezer

Sorry I know that wasn't much of a help! But my LC was the best.. She would just say what ever you can give your baby is better than nothing!......
Hugs
~T

Mommy to
Drew(12)
Ky (10)
and our Angel Katlyne(12/9/02-04/02/03) forever in our hearts and thoughts
angelkat

Postby angelical » Sun Jun 08, 2003 06:24 pm

by angelical (330 Posts), Sun Jun 08, 2003 06:24 pm

quote:
Originally posted by canada1

Hi Sharel-
Thanks for completing the questions! 10 weeks is a long time to provide mother's milk- you should be really proud of that accomplishment!

Actually, I am very proud of that. I do wish that I could have nursed/pumped for longer, but it just didn't out for our life, with my ft working, etc. Hats off to all who DO do it longer!

Sharel

Sharel & Kevin
Aaron - 28 weeker
Born 5/2/02 due to preeclampsia & HELLP
angelical

Postby canada1 » Sun Jun 08, 2003 11:42 pm

by canada1 (36 Posts), Sun Jun 08, 2003 11:42 pm

AngelKat-

Thanks for your responses. I'm sorry to hear about your babe. It is wonderful that you were able to give her breast milk. Amid all the stress of having a preemie, pumping sometimes seems like an impossibility- I really admire those people who do it!

Best wishs,
Stephanie
canada1

Postby maddiekinsmom » Sun Jun 15, 2003 12:18 am

by maddiekinsmom (49 Posts), Sun Jun 15, 2003 12:18 am

I pumped for 14 weeks

I was just pumping until she took to the breast - which she never did.

I kept trying to get Maddie to BF, but to no avail. I finally got so tired and frustrated because my supply wasn't ever enough for her, so I had to mix the breast milk with formula - I spent all my time mixing, or cleaning the pump, or bottles or trying to get her to BF, I was exhausted.

pumping

I pumped every three hours for approx. 20 minutes.

I pumped for about 20 minutes, every 3 hours.

It never really came in. I was told that was because my daughter came so early (29 weeks).

I do'nt really remember, but I think it was less than 16 ounces per day.

A Medela hospital grade pump.

I slowed down to pumping about every 4 hours when Maddie was about 3 months old.

Don't really recall.

No, it didn't seem to make any difference.

I just reduced the number of times I pumped slowly. FIrst I started not pumping at night, then reduced the number of times during the day. I recall that it didn't take very long for the supply to completely go away.

The fact that my supply was never enough and just pure exhaustion and frustration.

Since my volume was so low to begin with, I didn't see much of a difference.

No, never was enough. She got donor breast milk in the hospital for the first month or so.

Within the first month.

I was on reglan with no results. I started the reglan after about 3 - 4 weeks.

Never had enough for a stash.

I didn't have to do this, but it's such a shame if mothers are dumping their stash. There are mother's milk banks that could possibly use this milk for other sick/preemie babies. There's a ton of screening done to ensure the milk is safe so it's a wonderful option if mothers have extra milk they'd be willing to donate!

I ended up feeling like such a failure by not meeting my needs and also felt as though others looked down on me because I was "just" pumping. THanks for gathering this data and bringing this topic up!

Rachel, mom to Maddie (29 weeker due to severe pre-e, IUGR)
maddiekinsmom

Postby annegarrett » Sun Jun 15, 2003 12:40 am

by annegarrett (2525 Posts), Sun Jun 15, 2003 12:40 am

The Preeclampsia Foundation is really pleased that "canada1" has agreed to share the results of the survey she posted with our new database project. The PF really appreciates surveys like this and to encourage such surveys has decided on the following guidelines for PF surveys.

1) Please contact the site administrator to get approval of your survey. Any survey that is posted without approval will be removed.
2) PF members only may post here. All data generated becomes property of the PF. We will be blinding (hiding) the raw data so that others cannot take advantage of your private information. We will share the results of the surveys with the PF.
3) Since we are generating data for medical research--we reserve the right to tweak questions to increase their "validity".

If you are interested in working on survey development--we would love to hear from you.

Thanks!

Anne
annegarrett

Next

Return to Ask the Experienced