Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Update and some questions concering walking

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.

Update and some questions concering walking

Postby mommy1st » Sun Feb 07, 2010 05:51 pm

by mommy1st (2808 Posts), Sun Feb 07, 2010 05:51 pm

Hi all!!

It's been awhile sinec I've posted. I have been lerking just not replying.
Anyhow, we are doing great. Alexa just turned 14 months(sob, sob!). Braden is in preschool and loving it!! He just recently got diagnosed with high functioning aspergers so we are dealing with that and learning all we can to better help him down the road.

Anyhow, I have a question for you about walking. Alexa isn't walking yet and it's starting to concern me. Braden didn't walk til he was 15.5 months old but at this point he was already standing alone and if we held his hand he would walk with us, she is doing none of this!! She won't use any of the push toys we have but she will scoot on the furniture. I just don't know how else to encourage her to start to walk. At first I wasn't worried because I felt that once she did walk I would be regretting it(lol!). Now I'm getting worried. We do go on Tuesday for a checkup(she had 2 bad ear infections so the dr. is making sure they are gone) so I am going to ask then and if she needs'PT or something.
What do you all think? Have any of you had this before with your kiddo'(s) and what happened?
Thanks!!

UPDATE 2/9:
So dr.'s appt went fine, her ears looks great and we decided to not do tubes unless she gets another real soon just because it's a surgery and the risk of her being young. I asked about her walking and he said that she still has a couple months(18 months of age) and that if she's not walking by then then we can go from there. He said that as long as she is cruising along furntiure we are good and that some babies are just lazy, lol. He said to keep practicing with her at home and eventually she will do it. I did order the baby walking wings and they are suppose to get her on Friday so it'll be intersting to see if those work for her.
Thanks again for all the advice and input you all are great!!
mommy1st

Re : Update and some questions concering walking

Postby julieb » Sun Feb 07, 2010 07:45 pm

by julieb (364 Posts), Sun Feb 07, 2010 07:45 pm

Mason did not walk until he was 18 months old which is still within normal range for walking. We were seeing PT at the time but he just needed to do things on his own time. Our PT told us to put some weights on the walking toys so they don't move as fast and that helped Mason feel more secure with them. It wouldn't hurt to talk to your doctor and maybe even see a PT just to make sure there is nothing that needs addressed, I know that would make me feel better. Mason is still a little behind in gross motor, but not by much!
julieb

Postby missgamecock » Sun Feb 07, 2010 08:18 pm

by missgamecock (6064 Posts), Sun Feb 07, 2010 08:18 pm

Our dr told us if they are not walking at 18 mos old, we would discuss it. She's probably like Cate and stubborn. Cate would NOT crawl, sit up by herself, or anything until about 10 mos. She just started to pull herself up and stand. She'll crawl and then pull herself up.
missgamecock

Postby heather j » Sun Feb 07, 2010 09:20 pm

by heather j (4882 Posts), Sun Feb 07, 2010 09:20 pm

Ella didn't even think about walking until she was 16 months old. She wouldn't cruise or anything, but she'd scoot on her bottom and use her arms. Our ped mentioned a PT consult if she wasn't mobile by 17 months. Wouldn't you know that one week short of that, she stood up and took off. She was a lazy little butterball! Nicolas, who was born earlier than her, was walking at 12 months, fwiw.
heather j
Forum Moderator

Postby mnmom » Mon Feb 08, 2010 06:53 am

by mnmom (1419 Posts), Mon Feb 08, 2010 06:53 am

Ear infections! Ear infections generally mean fluid in your ears. Which means your balance is all wonky. My second daughter was my chronic fluid/infection girl and didn't walk until 15 month-during the summer when her ear infection had actually cleared up for awhile.
mnmom
Forum Moderator

Postby mommy1st » Mon Feb 08, 2010 01:11 pm

by mommy1st (2808 Posts), Mon Feb 08, 2010 01:11 pm

I was wondering if that would have an effect on her. THis is her 4th ear infection and she's 14 months!!! We go tomorrow morning and I am going to talk about putting tubes in her ears. The dr. suggested it last week since I have had a history of them...we will see!! Thanks for all the replies ladies, I'll let you know what happens!
mommy1st

Postby annes » Mon Feb 08, 2010 01:52 pm

by annes (2527 Posts), Mon Feb 08, 2010 01:52 pm

Good luck with the appointment. Clover did not walk until she was 17 months. The pediatrician told me the same thing that everyone else heard if she is not walking by 18 months we'll have her evaluated. He also said that he did not think that our insurance would cover an eval prior to 18 months. I think the ear infection thing could easily be making your daughter unsteady on her feet.
annes
Forum Moderator

Postby hols537 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 02:38 pm

by hols537 (1031 Posts), Mon Feb 08, 2010 02:38 pm

Alexander didn't walk until nearly 18 months. Jonathan didn't walk until after 14 months. He just suddenly decided he wanted to do it over the course of a few days. In both cases, they were really good at crawling and just didn't really care to bother walking. Both of them went really, really fast once they decided to walk. We used the "walking wings" with Alexander and it helped him a lot. Jonathan didn't care for them though. In both cases, our doc also said we'd worry if they weren't walking by their 18 month appointments...
hols537

Postby mommy1st » Mon Feb 08, 2010 06:14 pm

by mommy1st (2808 Posts), Mon Feb 08, 2010 06:14 pm

Walking wings, found it on amazon I think I might order it for Alexa and give that a try....thanks Holly!
mommy1st

Postby rebeccac » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:46 pm

by rebeccac (761 Posts), Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:46 pm

DS started walking at 19 months. At his 1 year check up, his dr. offered a referral to Birth to 3 to address the "problem" but we didn't follow through with it...I knew he would walk in his own time.

If she is doing good in other areas, I wouldn't worry too much, but of course, you need to do what feels right for you :)
rebeccac

Next

Return to After your baby is born .....