?'s for moms of 32-35 weekers

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.
almostamom

Re : ?'s for moms of 32-35 weekers

Postby almostamom » Tue May 03, 2005 10:07 pm

I can't believe what you went though. You have my deepest sympathy.

My son was born at 35 weeks. My OB thought he had already given steroid injections, but I reminded him he had not. At that point, I was too sick and we had to do an emergency c-section. Luckily, my son did pretty well. He weighed 6lbs 8.4oz. He stayed in the nicu for 1 week due to low temperature, feeding tube, and a small infection. He is doing absolutely wonderful now.

Good Luck and you guys will be in our prayers.

mom to Tyler Lane (born 35 wks PIH)

dorio22

Postby dorio22 » Sun May 01, 2005 07:53 pm

My dd was born at 35 weeks and weighed a whopping 6 lbs. 7 oz. I expected her to be so much smaller and couldn't believe it when they announced her weight. She did have to stay in NICU for 15 days because she was to tired to eat on her own and had to be tube fed. She used to pull that tube right out of her nose. She was on oxygen for the first week and is a healthy crazy strong 13 month old. I had my steriod shots at 32 weeks and was lucky enough with strict bedrest to keep her til 35 weeks.

Dori (35) - Utah
Mom to Kallie, Born 09/02 Adopted,
Brianna, born at 35 wks due to Severe PE, 6 lbs. 7 oz.
Pregnant Again, EDD 08/01/05

missgamecock

Postby missgamecock » Sun May 01, 2005 04:18 pm

I am so glad to see this thread because I was wondering how well the 32-35 weekers did. My daughter was born at 36 weeks 0 days and did great. No problems, just small. The dr hopes to get me to 35 weeks with this one. He said at 35 weeks I could deliver at the local hospital instead of the hospital 45 minutes away with a NICU. It's reassuring to see the posts here. Thanks Sabrina edd 7/27/05

wcarder

Postby wcarder » Thu Apr 28, 2005 06:32 pm

Hey, Tawn. I am so sorry about the experience you had with that doctor last year, and I am sorry, too, for the loss of your son. I'm REALLY glad to hear things are trucking along with your little girl, and really hope things continue on the same steady path for a few more weeks at least! I am truly amazed on a daily basis about how unaware medical professionals (and other professionals for that matter) are of what they say and how it can affect others sometimes.... I'm at a loss for words, though, hearing your story. I too felt, when I had preeclampsia, that it was somehow my fault. With so many people in this world who know nothing of preeclampsia, I felt "THEY" all thought it was my fault, too, but a doctor should know better. I can't imagne how devastating that whole experience was for you, and I can understand your current fears. BUT, this is a DIFFERENT pregnancy, and you are doing so great, I am thrilled to death for you. I guess, all I can say is what I tell my five year old ~~ "You can't CONTROL what other people do or say, you can only control YOU". So, if this heartless doctor crosses your path again, arm yourself with the knowledge you have gained from your past experience, from this website, and everything you have learned since you were blind sided with Preeclampsia and don't let him EVER make you feel that way again. I know, easier said than done, but try and say strong.
Oh, and BTW -- My girly was a thirty weeker, she had the steroid shots. She did fantastic. No vent, very healthy lungs - they called her a "feeder and a grower". She just had to get big and go home. She did have a minor heart surgery (a PDA ligation) but the steroids dod her wonders. She is now five, and in no way recognizable as the three pounder she once was. Good luck, hun.

Wendy
DD~ Kenzie Celeste, 30 weeks GA, severe PE

tawniemarie

Postby tawniemarie » Thu Apr 28, 2005 05:05 pm

I would like to thank everyone for getting back to me. I went in to the doctor again today, and my bp was the same, and I still have a trace of protein. My NST went well, and I see my peri on Monday. I really hope I can hold out until 34 weeks, but if I can't, I'm really glad I got those shots. At the hospital I delivered at last time, the social worker was really great, full of support and reassurance. If we have to deal with that doctor again, I think I will turn to her and let her know what went on and that I won't tolerate it again. I'm normally the type of person who stands up for herself and her family, but at that time last year, I was in such shock and grief I just didn't know what to say. I didn't realize how unfair and untrue the things that doctor said were. I guess I know what to look out for this time, even though it will hopefully be a diffrent situation. I looked at the hospital website, and I see that they've hired 2 new NICU doctors, so maybe I'll get lucky and not have to see him again at all.

-Tawn
Mom to Tyler Michael
3-16-04 to 3-21-04 born at 24 weeks due to severe pre-e.
Pregnant with # 2!! She will (I Hope) be delivered between the end of May to the begining of June.

erica990

Postby erica990 » Wed Apr 27, 2005 06:43 pm

Hi, Tawn,

My son was born at 35.5 weeks, had no steroid shots, and had no NICU stay, just a little oxygen and warming in his first hours. His Apgars were 8 and 8. He had a bit of trouble learning to breastfeed, but caught on at 2.5 weeks of age, and was exclusively breastfed until 5.5 months and still nurses a few times a day. He didn't even have a cold until he was 10 months old.

I'm so sorry that doctor was cruel to you.

Erica Andersen

Mom to Isaac, born 3/25/04 (35 weeks, Pre-E, HELLP, emergency c-section)

cara

Postby cara » Wed Apr 27, 2005 07:08 am

OK my baby was a mega preemie. 33 weeks, he weighed in at 5 lbs, 6 oz, 19 inches!!. He would have been about 12 lbs if I would have gone full term. His weight, I think helped pull him thru some tough times. We also went through nasty jaundice, sepsis, NEC, temp issues and feeding problems. He was in for a month, out a week, back a week. I loved the NICU that we were in. It was really a great place and I believe he got the best care we could have found. He is 13 months tomorrow and weighs just under 26 lbs now. He's a cutie pie!

Cara L. Stevens
DS - Grant 3/28/04
33 weeks PIH/Pre-e
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/b/boogerbrow/

cheist

Postby cheist » Wed Apr 27, 2005 05:39 am

I had my daughter at 33 weeks 5 days, I had the shots a week before. She weighed a whopping 4 lbs 7 oz! She was only on the respirator for a few hours and did so well in the nicu that she came home 5 days after birth! She is doing great except that I have to keep her on preemie formula, she was loosing weight on breastmilk:( but now she's gaining 1-2 oz per day and was up to 5 lbs at her 2 1/2 week checkup. I hope all goes well for you and baby, hang in there!

DD Nova Blue born on April 1, 2005 4 lbs 7 oz 18 inches due to PE

ekc

Postby ekc » Tue Apr 26, 2005 09:09 pm

I had the steriod shots for before my son was born at 33.5 weeks. He weighed 3.5# and was 16 inches long. He was in the NICU for 4 weeks. He had no respirator, only c-pac (sp?). He only had slight bradycardia and apnea episodes. After 2 weeks we were able to feed him by tube and then I nursed him. I had no major setbacks. He really did great, he was just small.

He is now a 19 mo. old and weighs 24 lbs and talks a mile a minute! The dr. asked me @ his 18 mo. checkup if he could say a few words and I told him, "No. He can say many more than I can even count!"

It is really sad to hear that a health care professional would treat you like that during most likely the most difficult time in your life.

Just stay strong and you and your baby will do well!

Erinn (26)

Chase ~ 9/28/03, 33.5 wks, 3.5#, severe pre-e

elevated lipoprotein A

jenchar

Postby jenchar » Tue Apr 26, 2005 02:36 pm

Tawn,

My first baby, Grace, was born at 34 weeks. She was growth restricted, but overall did well for being 3 pounds, 14.5 ounces. At the time I was pregnant with Grace and on bedrest, my OB said that he didn't want to give steroid shots to the baby at that point. He felt that since she had been under so much stress from the Pre-E that it had the same effect as the steroid shots. In turned out that my Gracie did have some minor respiratory distress. She was never vented and only had CPAP for 4 days. She progressed right to nasal canula and left the hospital 23 days later without any O2 assistance.

Overall, what I want to tell you is that your baby at this gestation, should do pretty well overall. I was amazed at the difference between my daughters. Gracie (the 34 weeker) was so sturdy, yet small. Meghan, born at 27 weeks, 1 pound 9 oz, was so very, very fragile and really still is. Meghan stayed in the NICU for 79 days, went home 1 week before her due date.

So keep your chin up. You've done great work growing your baby so far. If you run into that doc again, don't let him bother you. You are ultimately responsible for your baby not him. Be proud that you will be advocating for your baby. Afterall, it is the job of being a parent.

Hugs and much good luck to you,

Jen B. (32), mom of:
Grace (4/02), born at 34 weeks weighing 1775 grams, severe Pre-E, IUGR
Meghan (5/04), born at 27 weeks weighing 725 grams, severe Pre-E, IUGR, low amniotic fluid
Milwaukee, WI
www.caringbridge.org/wi/alphagirls

Return to “Parents of Preemies”