Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Visitors to hospital during pre-eclampsia

Are you worried about your partners pregnancy? Has your partner already had preeclampsia? Do you have advice for other dads who could be going through similar experiences as yourself? Post here!

Re : Visitors to hospital during pre-eclampsia

Postby annes » Fri Aug 18, 2006 08:57 am

by annes (2527 Posts), Fri Aug 18, 2006 08:57 am

Just chiming in here, I was allowed few visitors, dark room etc... until the staff saw that my pressures went down while my visitors were there distracting me and went up when I was alone obsessing. You don't need the added stress of being accused of being overprotective, so ask your wife's doc or nurse to speak with one of the family members to explain the situation more fully. Is anyone in your family in the medical profession? My sister is a nurse, and once she spoke to my nurses and doctors she could understand the seriousness of the situation and convey that to the rest of the family, once they knew for themselves, they were much more understanding of all the restrictions. Your wife needs you more than anyone else right now, so take care of yourself. Good Luck.
annes
Forum Moderator

Postby darcynulph » Sat Aug 19, 2006 00:31 am

by darcynulph (413 Posts), Sat Aug 19, 2006 00:31 am

Has anybody heard how Steve's wife is doing?
darcynulph

Postby cindync » Sun Aug 20, 2006 08:28 pm

by cindync (542 Posts), Sun Aug 20, 2006 08:28 pm

only husband. my other kids were not allowed either, but I ended up with emergency csection the day after being admitted for hospital bedrest, so it did not matter anyway

afterwards, only husband as well. while on the mag
cindync

Postby missgamecock » Sun Aug 20, 2006 09:44 pm

by missgamecock (6064 Posts), Sun Aug 20, 2006 09:44 pm

Hope your wife is ok. Forgot to add that I wasn't allowed visitors after Sara was born. They allowed my dh into the l&d room but it was clear from how my dr was acting that no one else would be allowed (not that I wanted visitors for that part anyway). They came in turned off the tv and darkened the room after a while ( I was in too much pain by that point to care). Then after she was born, I was allowed some visitors that morning for about 5 minutes. Then that afternoon they told my dh that I was allowed no visitors due to being tired and sick. They took Sara from me. I went an rescued her around midnight when shift changed. I hadn't gotten much time with her, but I promised the nurse that I would rest. They also asked me if I had slept before they gave her back to me. The next day I was allowed visitors and was discharged.
missgamecock

Postby deerhart » Sun Aug 20, 2006 09:47 pm

by deerhart (3282 Posts), Sun Aug 20, 2006 09:47 pm

I was only allowed 2 people in my room at a time when I was admitted to the hospital each time with Alex and during his labor/delivery. Afterwards I was allowed as many as I could handle.
deerhart

Postby mommy1st » Mon Aug 21, 2006 00:15 am

by mommy1st (2808 Posts), Mon Aug 21, 2006 00:15 am

Steve,
I am so sorry to hear that your wife has preeclampsia. When I was admitted to the hospital I was 33 weeks pregnant and my blood pressure was 195/125. I was told that I could only have 2 visitors in at a time, try telling that to a control freak of a mother in law, not very fun!!!
Also after my son was delievered which was 48 hours later for his lungs to mature. They still didn't like too many people in my room because my bp just didn't seem to want to go down. They wanted me just to ly down and try to rest as much as possible. They did let me get up and see my son in the NICU because that always made my bp go down as it would to any mother or father.
You and your family our in my thoughts and prayers.
mommy1st

Postby issa » Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:10 am

by issa (21 Posts), Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:10 am

Gee, mommy1st, your situation sounded just like mine!
It is a very difficult situation that really fires me up!
My poor husband, under way more stress than anyone should ever have to go through, had to let everybody in our families know that I couldn't have visitors. Most were understanding, but there were the few ****** that just couldn't understand why. Please! Give it up relatives!! They will get over it. They still joke with me about how mean I was and I just say "oh it was the Mag Sulfate"[:D]
They are just worried and stressed too I know. It's just hard to baby them when you & your husband are going through enough already.
Take care & I will pray for you & your wife.
issa

Previous

Return to Dads