Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Anyone w/ baby &Upper GI study?

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

Anyone w/ baby &Upper GI study?

Postby emily kates mom » Tue Jul 20, 2004 02:23 pm

by emily kates mom (130 Posts), Tue Jul 20, 2004 02:23 pm

Hi,
Emily Kate has been having reflux symptoms since she was about 1.5 months old. She will be 10 months on Friday[:0]. She has tried Zantac, and thst did not work. It actually made her spit up even more. Today, our pediatrician prescribed Prilosec. I hope that works better. She also ordered an upper GI study. What exactly is that, and what should I expect? I'm so nervous! I also heard she couldn't eat that morning until her test. That will be so hard to look at her when I know she is starving!

Thanks for your input!
Allison

Mommy to Emily Kate
3lbs. 7 oz.
Born 9/23/03
**2 months early due to preeclampsia.
emily kates mom

Re : Anyone w/ baby &Upper GI study?

Postby kim » Tue Jul 20, 2004 02:34 pm

by kim (555 Posts), Tue Jul 20, 2004 02:34 pm

I'm so sorry Emily Kate has to deal with reflux. Ainsley had a couple of Upper GI's.. The tech will give her a bottle of barium (a thick white liquid) to drink... Believe me, the baby will love it, because she will be hungry. After drinking, they will lay her down and run an x-ray machine over her abdomen (doesn't even touch her), and that is it!!

Prilosec worked wonders for Ainsley and Zantac did not do a thing.

The good news is, Ainsley finally outgrew her reflux at about 10 months old.

Take care and good look!!!

Kim
Texas Chapter Coordinator

Ainsley 11/26/02-36 Weeks Preeclampsia
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/ainsleyk/
kim

Postby jaxsmom » Tue Jul 20, 2004 02:40 pm

by jaxsmom (187 Posts), Tue Jul 20, 2004 02:40 pm

Hi Emily Kates Mom,

Just wanted to say Jaxon has had the upper GI, I think he had it around 6 mths or so.. I was very nervous too and didn't really no what to expect but they explained everything which made things alot easier.... When will she be going for the Upper GI?? Sending lots of prayers that everything goes well for that day and that Emily Kate gets feeling better very soon.... Sorry I couldn't explain more about what to expect but Jaxon has had a few tests for his reflux and I can't remember which one was which and don't want to explain the wrong test..... [:p]

Cheers
Dana [:D]

Jaxon's Mommy
Born June 25, 2003 @ 34 weeks 4.6 lbs; PIH, elevated liver enzymes & IUGR
jaxsmom

Postby denise » Tue Jul 20, 2004 06:33 pm

by denise (5480 Posts), Tue Jul 20, 2004 06:33 pm

Good luck with the GI! Ariana is still battling reflux at almost 15 months (and I'm pulling my hair out[;)]). She had the upper GI a couple months ago. Her appt was for 9am, so we just tried to keep her occupied. They filled her bottle with the barium and she only drank maybe 25% and it was enough for them to see. The only hard part was that DD hates being laid down and held, so she fought hard. Only one of us could be in the room too, so DH stayed to help and I went behind the glass to stand with the rest of the techs. She's been on Prevacid for months now and that seems to be her wonder drug. We tried Zantac right away, and that didn't work. Then omeprazole, which didn't work. Right now we are trying to make the change to milk, but it's not going so well. Once we get her over to milk, we can try to wean off the meds. My girlfriends DD had reflux too and was able to just go off her meds at 11 months. I'm jealous of that![;)]

Good luck and let us know how things go!!![:D]

Ariana-born 5/3/03 at 35 weeks due to HELLP Syndrome/pre-e: 4 lbs, 17 1/2 inches

Will start TTC in October!!

http://hometown.aol.com/scrapperlang/Home.htm
denise

Postby emily kates mom » Tue Jul 20, 2004 08:44 pm

by emily kates mom (130 Posts), Tue Jul 20, 2004 08:44 pm

Thank you for your replies. I feel better already. The only thing I feel bad about is her being sooo.. hungry. Maybe they'll get her in really early. She is so pitiful when she is hungry... she doesn't cry, she just puts her thumb in her mouth and whimpers sweetly.
Our ped.'s officew is making the appt. for us, so I don't know when it is yet. I'll be sure to let you know. Thanks again for your replies!

Allison

Mommy to Emily Kate
3lbs. 7 oz.
Born 9/23/03
emily kates mom

Postby angelical » Wed Jul 21, 2004 08:39 am

by angelical (330 Posts), Wed Jul 21, 2004 08:39 am

It'll all be over before you know it. I remember it was hard thinking of Aaron going w/o food, but really it wasn't that long. He was about 1 month past his due date when we had his UGI. The test really helped me understand what was happening. You could really SEE the reflux happening on the x-ray. It was fascinating.

Good luck!
s

------------------------
Sharel O'Connell
Local coordinator for Pittsburgh area
'Parents of Preemies' co-moderator
Survivor of Preeclampsia, HELLP Syndome, & preemie parenting
Future adoptive mom

Aaron (28 weeker, 5/2/02) -- my tiny guy is TWO!
Kevin - DH
angelical

Postby deerhart » Wed Jul 21, 2004 02:24 pm

by deerhart (3282 Posts), Wed Jul 21, 2004 02:24 pm

Most docs when they schedule things to be done on children will try to schedule the youngest children first, as they realize they aren't quiet so easy to control when they are hungry. THey then scheudle the older children after that.

Thus when they did Mason's hernia surgey at 11 weeks of age, he was scheduled to start at around 6:30AM, and he any bottles after midnight could only be water.

Alex's tongue clipping at 3 1/2 years on the other hand was scheduled for closer to 8-8:30 AM and he was restricted from all food and drink after midnight.

I am sure they will try to get her one of the earliest appointments they possible can and will give you more specific instructions on what she can and cannot have and after what time when its scheduled.

Erin

Moderator - Parents of Preemies
Missouri State Coordinator
Mommy to Alex (4)and Mason (1 1/2)
Law Student - 1 year done, 2 to go
deerhart

Postby emily kates mom » Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:54 am

by emily kates mom (130 Posts), Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:54 am

Here's an update:

Our ped. office just called and said that our appointment is Monday at 7:30 AM. If they can get it done close to that time, that won't be quite as bad... I'll keep you updated! Thanks again for the replies!

Allison

Mommy to Emily Kate
3lbs. 7 oz.
Born 9/23/03
emily kates mom

Postby jenn » Thu Jul 22, 2004 03:00 pm

by jenn (2038 Posts), Thu Jul 22, 2004 03:00 pm

Good luck with everything.
J has had 6 during her three years.
Plus swallow studies, and ph probes.
I know this can be a scary thing for mommy and kiddo'.
Thoughts and prayers for an easy procedure.

Only other thing, advice wise...
Bring a change of clothes for the both of you.
Nobody said she might throw up afterward, I was full of berium (Sp?) all morning :op yuk!

Best wishes.
Much love.

Jennie (24)
Shad DH (29)

Jaidyn 1.24.01 (30 wkr)
Severe PE/HELLP
2lb. 12oz.

Heavenly Angel:
Blaze
(miscarriage)

Natalia Rosse
Due Thanksgiving day!

http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/j/jaid/ (updated May 26th, u/s photos in J's gallery)
jenn
Forum Moderator

Return to Parents of Preemies