Nipples/bottles for preemies

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

Nipples/bottles for preemies

Postby amandab » Thu Jul 22, 2004 09:53 am

I'm curious which nipples and bottles have worked for those of you with preemies. Maija started daycare last week, and her sitter is complaining that the bottle nipples we provided are just too big for her mouth. We currently use the silicone Natural Latch Playtex nurser system. She recommended we try Dr. Brown (the slim one, not the contoured one). We did, and that nipple did seem to work better for Maija. But I have to be brutally honest... I really do not like those bottles at all. The nipple is great, but I can't stand that straw contraption. I am totally willing to do whatever is best for Maija, and if these Dr. Brown bottles are best, I will use them.

But I would love to hear what the rest of you have had success with!!

Also if anyone loves the Dr. Brown system, let me know. My problems with it are: 1) I don't trust that the straw contraption is getting clean when I wash it. 2) The extra piece is just a hassle. 3) A good friend that I trust completely told me that they leak like crazy when transported. 4) They are expensive.

Thanks!!!

Amanda (28)
Hubby (29)
Maija Grace - 5/18/04 (36.5 wks), HELLP
~i~ Aidan Timothy - 4/14/03 (29 wks), pre-e and abruption
amandab

Re : Nipples/bottles for preemies

Postby laura » Thu Jul 22, 2004 10:57 am

Amanda, we used the Playtex ventaire for both of our girls (35 and 36 weeks respectively) and though the ventaire is not as great as it was the first time we used it 6 yrs ago, it is still the one we stick with because it's sooo good for not getting air in the tummy.

It has the little holes in the bottom for air to get out and all of the pieces come apart for cleaning. Neither of my girls had a problem with the nipples being too big, either. Hope you find what works best for Maija!!

Laura
Moderator/AK Coordinator

Mom to Alicia (severe PE) 5/98 and Camille (htn, oligo) 4/03
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/c/camilleandallie/
laura

Postby deerhart » Thu Jul 22, 2004 11:03 am

hmm we used the nipples from the hospitals put into regular old straight bottles for Mason when he was born (or the real little 4oz bottles). When he got bigger we switched between the Avent bottles and regualr old straight bottles.

We did find that neither of my kids liked the platex bottles. it seemed the nipples were way way to short for them. We also found that neither child liked the yellow nipples, but preferred the clear slightly harder ones.

Finally, we always had to make the holes bigger in whatever nipples we had (except the large avent ones) because even the fastest flow wasn't enough for either child.

Mason loved the avent bottles, and their super soft sippy nipple made the transition from bottle to reg sippy cup a breeze and since it was still no spill we were able to start using it when he could sit up on his own.

We didnt' have to worry about either child ever getting air in his bottle because it was full to empty bottle in .3 seconds for both of them. They barely had time to breathe let alone
get air in their tummy.
Erin

Moderator - Parents of Preemies
Missouri State Coordinator
Mommy to Alex (4)and Mason (1 1/2)
Law Student - 1 year done, 2 to go
deerhart

Postby angelical » Thu Jul 22, 2004 11:57 am

We used the little hospital bottles for a while, and then switched to Playtex Ventaire. They seemed to do great for Aaron's reflux.

Good luck!
s

------------------------
Sharel O'Connell
Local coordinator for Pittsburgh area
'Parents of Preemies' co-moderator
Survivor of Preeclampsia, HELLP Syndome, & preemie parenting
Future adoptive mom

Aaron (28 weeker, 5/2/02) -- my tiny guy is TWO!
Kevin - DH
angelical

Postby jenn » Thu Jul 22, 2004 03:06 pm

Same happened here.
I purchased a ton of Playtex bottles ( Natural Latch kind )
J wasn't able to use them until way later in life.
So we ended up with the regular Evenflo ones.
Now I like the looks of the Ventair's last I saw at Target, the slender ones that is.
Best wishes with everything.
Much love.

Jennie (24)
Shad DH (29)

Jaidyn 1.24.01 (30 wkr)
Severe PE/HELLP
2lb. 12oz.

Heavenly Angel:
Blaze
(miscarriage)

Natalia Rosse
Due Thanksgiving day!

http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/j/jaid/ (updated May 26th, u/s photos in J's gallery)
jenn
Forum Moderator

Postby amandab » Fri Jul 23, 2004 08:49 am

Thanks for your responses!!! We tried the Dr. Brown bottle again last night, and Maija seems to really prefer the slender nipple to the wider Playtex Natural Latch nipple. Jennie, I found the slender Ventaire nipple you mentioned. It looks very similar to the Dr. Brown nipple. But I couldn't find that type of nipple for the Nurser system. I even looked on Playtex's website, and they don't show a slender silicone nipple as an option for the Nurser system.

So I gave some thought to trying the slender Ventaire, but several 4 oz. Dr. Brown bottles are available to me for free so I am going to graciously accept them.

Thanks again for all your help!!

Amanda (28)
Hubby (29)
Maija Grace - 5/18/04 (36.5 wks), HELLP
~i~ Aidan Timothy - 4/14/03 (29 wks), pre-e and abruption
amandab

Postby pugmommy7 » Sun Jul 25, 2004 02:11 pm

i swear by the avent.
but we i saw that gerber now sells preemie bottles/nipples in target- they were latex though if that is an issue.
hth

Jennifer, 30
DH, Chris, 33
Mama & Daddy to:
Isabella Sofia,1/02/03 born @ 33.5 weeks at 3 lbs,6oz., 16". GD,
Pre-E,& borderline HELLP.

Catalina Amelia,5/29/04 born @ 36.2 weeks,4 lbs.,12oz.,16"
GD,PIH,& Pre-e
pugmommy7

Postby matts_mom » Sun Jul 25, 2004 03:41 pm

i used avent bottles from the start and matthew has no trouble switching from breast to bottle. the first time he used the bottle was about 25 days after he was born and he took about 55 cc without stopping. the whole avent system is really user friendly, bottles fit the pump, nipples fit all bottles and the transition to sippy cups should be quite smooth.

andrea(35)
dh reg(52)
matthew-born Feb 6, 2004, at 34 weeks due to hellp syndrome (4lbs 10 ounces)
matts_mom

Postby celticepona » Sun Jul 25, 2004 06:08 pm

Avent bottles all the way...we have used them from the start, and they reduce the gas...and when Emmy was so small, the flow was just perfect for her.

DD Emily born 4-01-04 at 37 weeks due to severe PE/Eclampsia. Currently postpartum.
preeclampsic/hyperreflexic. On medication.

http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/e/emilyfionaspage/
celticepona

Postby kim » Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:43 am

I know Dr. Brown's are a pain the butt, but it was the only thing that worked for us!! In fact, a lot of pedi's are recommending them for preemies.

As for leaking, yes they do, you have to use that little cap off thing that comes in the package. As for cleaning, I used the little brush and put them in the dishwasher.

They are quite a contraption, but were worth the trouble and the cost for us.
Take care,

Kim
Texas Chapter Coordinator

Ainsley 11/26/02-36 Weeks Preeclampsia
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/ainsleyk/
kim

Next

Return to Parents of Preemies