Relationships between Preemies and owning Cats

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

Re : Relationships between Preemies and owning Cats

Postby arj » Thu May 20, 2004 03:06 pm

Here is a good article about pets and allergies. I sent this to my sister-in-law who wouldn't get a dog for fear that she would have a baby and he/she would be allergic to it.

Allison (28)
DS-Evan, 7/19/2003. PE at 40 weeks

Postby natan » Thu May 20, 2004 02:58 pm

This is interesting! I will pass on your responses to the other moms who had preemies at my moms group. I have only owned these cats for four years and am very attached to them. DH has taken over kitty litter job for rest of pregnancy.

I have hear about young children building stronger immune system to allergies to animals. But I haven't seen studies done on this subject.
Thanks for the info,

Postby tahoe4 » Thu May 20, 2004 01:20 pm

0 cats, 1 dog, 1 preemie. Not sure about the correlation between kitties and preemies.

Casey - DD born 12/25/02 at 6 weeks premature
Prego again! - EDD 6/18/04, but c-section date will be 6/4/04 at 38 weeks

Postby caitlynsmama » Thu May 20, 2004 12:30 am

We have two cats, and two dogs. DH took over the kitty litter job when I was pregnant. Caitlyn loves them now. I have not heard the connection between the cats and the preemies before.

Shannon Mommy to Caitlyn Elizabeth 30 weeks, 3 days born (8/26/2003) early due to PE, IUGR, HELLP syndrome, premature rupture of membranes

Site Admin

Postby sarab » Thu May 20, 2004 11:26 am

Too weird...we also had 2 cats while I was pregnant. We got them when we got married, and we just loved them! We ended up giving them away just before Maggie came home from the hospital, at the NICU Dr's suggestion. We discussed it a lot before finally deicing to do it. I had a hard time with it, but was "ok" because it was something we had to do for the health of our child, or so we thought. Well, at Maggie's very first visit to the ped (she had been home for 2 days), he said it would be fine if we had cats with her, in fact he had read several studies suggesting that children who were exposed to pets before 2 years old were less likely to have pet allergies later in life. It would be fine so long as we were careful and made sure to watch them when they were in the room with Maggie, etc. We were thrilled, and immediately called the family that we had given our kitties to. They reluctantly informed us that they had ran away! [V] We were so sad!

I am still trying to convince DH to get some more, but he isn't as excited about it as I am...

Sara, 23
Local Coordinator, Utah

DH, Scott, 26
Maggie Lylas, 6/9/03, 29 weeks, severe pre-e

Forum Moderator

Postby jenn » Thu May 20, 2004 09:44 am

Add me to the list.

5 kitties. 1 preemie (so far)

Can't seem to ever say no to the little cuties [:)]

Jennie (24)
Shad DH (28)

Jaidyn 1.24.01 (30 wkr)
2lb. 12oz.

Heavenly Angel:

EDD- Thanksgiving! 11.25.04 (updated May 18th)

Forum Moderator

Postby catherine » Thu May 20, 2004 08:15 am

Natan, the reason that pregnant women are supposed to stay away from cats during pregnancy is because of the risk of exposure to Toxoplasma. This is a parasite that can infect cats and will be excreted in their faeces. If you become infected, the parasite can cross the placenta and infect the baby with many serious consequences. This is why husbands have to clean litter boxes and IMHO it is grounds for "kitty ejection" if DH refuses. Beyond that, I've never heard of any association between pet ownership and prematurity.

Mom to Finn, Lucy (preeclampsia and HELLP) and Chloe.
Moderator HELLP Syndrome Survivors

Postby angelical » Thu May 20, 2004 07:47 am

We kept the cat away from Aaron completely for about 18 months. Now, that poor cat is Aaron's buddy. In fact, "kitty-itty-itty-dlitty-ditty" is something we hear CONSTANTLY now. lol

I'm not a cat person, but I have to feel sorry for that one. But I have to give him credit, aaron is generally very gentle with him. Just no idea about "personal space" lol, and he occassionally has to point out that the kitty has an EYE! (ouch)

Sharel O'Connell
Local coordinator for Pittsburgh area
'Parents of Preemies' co-moderator
Survivor of Preeclampsia, HELLP Syndome, & preemie parenting
Future adoptive mom

Aaron (28 weeker, 5/2/02) -- my tiny guy is TWO!
Kevin - DH

Postby ileana » Thu May 20, 2004 06:25 am

No cats, no dogs during pregnancy.... [:(]no preemie either.

IT Coordinator
Preeclampsia Foundation

Mother of Angel - stillborn on Feb 17, 2003 (24wGA, 410g)

Forum Moderator

Postby annes » Thu May 20, 2004 05:48 am

If you can believe it, my DH and I have 5 (yes, five) kitties[:I]. He is a bit of a softy and already had his four when I met him and I already had one. The minute I was pregnant I stayed away from the litter, and to be honest, I haven't really gone back to it. My issue with the kitties when I was pregnant is that they are always everywhere (they have the advantage of numbers), their fur is everywhere and they love attention. They make me crazy, but what can you do[}:)]? Luckily all except one have a healthy skepticism towards the baby, and of course he loves them! Furry, soft, stuffed animals that move and jump! He laughs every time he even sees them! The closest they come to him is walking around the edges of his crib, and only one will do that. I never thought about a connection between them and the prematurity, that is very interesting thought. By the way Deborah, Congratulations on your big news[:D]!

DH Richard
Parker 7/6/03(severe pe)33wks

Return to “Parents of Preemies”