My Preemie got her Swine Flu shot today

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

My Preemie got her Swine Flu shot today

Postby hannahsmom » Fri Oct 30, 2009 06:55 pm

I had been debating on whether or not to get the H1N1 shot for Hannah. Her doctor's office called today and said that Hannah was on the list of high-risk children and she needed to come in today because they got a small shipment of shots. I decided that this was the sign I needed, so we went and got it for her. So far, she hasn't had any effects from it. She always receives a seasona flu shot and has never had a reaction. She has reactive airway disease, which the doctor explained is probably due to lung damage from the ventilator when she was a baby, so this put her in the high risk category. I have been worried that with her lung issues, she would be prone to the secondary lung infection from Swine Flu, so I was leaning toward the shot, but this sealed the deal. I know a lot of parents are debating on whether to get it for their children, but now that Hannah has hers, I feel really good about the decision.
hannahsmom

Re : My Preemie got her Swine Flu shot today

Postby jenn » Fri Oct 30, 2009 07:08 pm

Sueanne, u have me wishing Jaidyn's dr would call and push me into a decision too. But I've been told that she will not be getting any in. That's not to say that the shot isn't readily available to me... but something about it coming from your own ped' makes a mommy feel better :o)
Glad you made the right decision for you and Hannah.
jenn
Forum Moderator

Postby sheri-ct » Fri Oct 30, 2009 09:01 pm

S&C got their shots on Tuesday. After begging and pleading with the pedi, I got one too! My PCP is not getting any, so I was worried about finding one for me. I'm hoping DH can find one since Meredith is only 5 weeks and we really need to keep H1N1 out of the house!
sheri-ct
Forum Moderator

Postby trish » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:15 pm

We got the 2nd dose of the regular flu shot today for Ali & if her Ped. had any H1N1 she'd would have wanted Ali to have that as well. Ali's had RSV/bronchiolitis twice (most recently just 2 months ago) & was doing the neb around the clock for like a month. Plus she is just barely over 21 lbs.(at 22 months) and has sisters in public school so the Ped. advised us to get it. But I have no idea where it's available so we're still waiting.

Glad you got it & feel good about your decision. :)
trish
Forum Moderator

Postby jfindley » Sat Oct 31, 2009 00:37 am

Our area has a bad shortage of vaccine and the highest rate of infection in the country. My providers don't have the H1N1 vaccine yet, so we were advised to go wait in line at the county health dept. We waited for 3 hours and then they ran out! I really want to get it for my 11month old. He is in Daycare and I am really scared. He just recovered from two back to back colds, one of which required nebulizer treatments. Our ped is recommending we take him out of daycare for the cold and flu season, so I have been interviewing nannies, but we really really love our daycare. If I could just get a hold of that vaccine, I would feel so much better. I am glad you guys got the vaccine though, the more the better!
jfindley

Postby hols537 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 07:05 am

My kids' pediatrician's office is highly recommending it. We got the boys their first shot at a county mass vaccination clinic last weekend (they were offering it to 6-36mos and pregnant women only). Now they've opened it up to through 5 years and parents/caregivers of children under 6mos. I got mine Thursday when my primary care doc got a shipment for his high risk patients and I qualified. They're saying they expect about 10 million doses to start becoming available each week, so it should start getting easier to find soon. Our state says the vaccination will be open to the general public in mid-November...

I've been watching our state and county health department websites, the pediatrician's office site as well as the Minute Clinic locations. There seems to be a steady stream coming in around here, but you have to know where to look and be quick.

Good luck to everyone who wants to get the shot getting it soon. My son's preschool just had it's first H1N1 case reported - it's everywhere!
hols537

Postby tree » Sun Nov 01, 2009 08:50 pm

We both got the shot over a week ago. It was very hard to find, but the local health department got some in. No reaction for either of us so far. She gets her seasonal shot on Tuesday.
tree
Forum Moderator

Postby mnmom » Tue Nov 03, 2009 07:08 am

Still not much vaccine here, and I have two little boys home for the week who tested positive for it. I wish, wish, wish it would have been available here to avoid this.
mnmom
Forum Moderator

Postby amanda » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:20 am

We were told that Anna Grace didn't qualify for early vax because she's never had any lung issues (knock on wood!) but that, as soon as she's two she will. I hope that there is still vaccine available at that time.
amanda
Forum Moderator

Postby farahsmom » Wed Nov 04, 2009 08:50 pm

I'm getting my shot tomorrow at the ob's office, they said if they have enough they will vaccinate DH as well since I'm pregnant, however for DD who is 15 months we have to go to her pediatrician or a clinic...erm. Everyone in the house has been sick this week, of course in Canada they don't do the swab anymore so I can't be certain I had/have h1n1 or not ( I was given tamiflu though). Can you even get the vaccine if you're still suffering with flu symptoms?
farahsmom

Next

Return to Parents of Preemies