Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Uric Acid Question

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Uric Acid Question

Postby catelisa48 » Wed Dec 03, 2003 01:50 pm

Hi! I just gave birth last week- induced on my due date. Although my doctor hadn't given me a diagnosis, I was noted as being PIH when I was induced. My BP had been (and still is) hovering around 140-148 over 88-94 range and I had pitting edema but no protein.

When I was admitted to the hospital for induction, they did a full blood work-up and I overheard my nurse telling a dr. that my uric acid levels were elevated. Can anyone tell me what that means in relation to PIH/pre-e?

Thanks!

Catherine
catelisa48

Re : Uric Acid Question

Postby lisac » Wed Dec 03, 2003 02:42 pm

Hi Catherine,

I think uric acid levels indicate how well the kidneys are functioning. When the blood pressure goes up, the kidneys are affected and that can raise uric acid levels in the blood. I'm pretty sure that's how it works, but hopefully somebody with better knowledge will chime in.

Congratulations on your new baby!

Lisa
lisac

Return to Ask the Experienced