Long Term Effects of Pre-E

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Long Term Effects of Pre-E

Postby tafkap » Fri Nov 07, 2003 11:07 am

I am interested to know the long term effects of pre-ecclampsia. My docs told me "delivery was the cure" and everyone said I would be back to "normal"- however-

I understand the Univeristy of Pittsburg did a study that said two years after giving birth, women had a higher risk of developing diabetes and heart disease than Mom's who didn't have these conditions.

I haven't been able to find further information on this.

Any info you have would be much appreciated!

Jessica & Corey~ baby #1
Katherine Grace born
10-13-2003
34weeks,6days,39minutes PIH/ Pre-E www.coreyandjess.info
tafkap

Re : Long Term Effects of Pre-E

Postby laura » Fri Nov 07, 2003 11:36 am

Hey Jessica- congrats again on that beautiful baby!

It is my understanding that the preeclampsia doesn't cause the later problems with hypertension and diabetes, more likely it's that you have an underlying genetic predisposition for diabetes and hypertension which also triggers the PE.

Was that just as clear as mud??? Well, I hope that helps a bit!

Laura-28
DH Jack-30
Allie 5-13-98 (35 weeks-pre-e)
Baby Camille 4-17-03 (36 weeks- htn and oligo)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/c/camilleandallie/
laura

Postby kim » Sat Nov 08, 2003 12:57 am

I've been emailing a peri who specializes in pre-e research and asked him the same question...

He also agreed that the stress of pregnancy can trigger any genetic predisposition for htn. Many women are able to come off their meds within a year or two, but should be monitored for the rest of their lives for chronic htn.

Of course most docs say "delivery is the cure." It is the "cure" for pre-e, but not for hypertension or life-long kidney problems, etc... Usually we get handed off after about 6 weeks postpartum...
I'm 11 months postpartum, and FINALLY my bp is normal again. I never thought it would be.

Oh, also the peri I talked to said that lifestyle changes may be needed. For example, if before pg, a woman was a high-stress lawyer who ate whatever she wanted, her body could compensate. But, after pg, it cannot. He told me of a similar situation, and 2 years postpartum, she began exercising, chose a career with less stress, began eating right, and her bp returned to normal...

I think we basically just get screwed! [:p]

Kim
Ainsley Kathryn 11/26/02-36 Weeks Preeclampsia
http://home.austin.rr.com/schwintz
kim

Postby jabeau » Sun Nov 09, 2003 01:32 pm

I too am interested in how long the effects of PE. My daughter now suffers from bad migraines and its been almost three months. Took a while for her blood pressure to go down but with the migraines her pressure will still get up some.
She had to go back into hospital after coming home from hospital the first time after two days because of severe swelling, headaches and some other things. She was very sick for about a week. As her mom, I am uneasy because now she has been complaining that this past week her neck was hurting her. She thought maybe she pulled muscle or slept wrong which it could be. But it was so bad she had to take a lotab and rub ben-gay on it to get any ease last night. So this PE scared me so bad as her mom that Im am worried now over every systom she gets. Everyone kinda thinks I'm a little daft over this but she was very sick and could have died so easily if we hadnt taken her back after she was released from the hospital the first time.
If anyone hears anything else about long term effects I will like to know too. Also at first said she definitely didnt want to risk another pregnancy but she is starting to now rethink it and maybe a little later try to have another. I admit I am scared for her. I know it is her and her husbands decision but I can't help but being scared about it.
Thanks Julie
jabeau

Postby lisac » Sun Nov 09, 2003 02:48 pm

Hi Julie,
I completely understand your concern for your daughter's health. My mom is just the same with me! I can't really speak to the long term effects of preeclampsia, since there haven't been that many studies. I think it's definitly true what Laura has said. Many of us may have gotten this disease for different reasons. Some may have already had an underlying predisposition for hypertension; so that group may have already been at risk for heart disease regardless of pregnancy. Others, like myself, have bloodwork that indicate autoimmunity, so I'm more at risk for a disease like lupus.
As for your daughter getting pregnant again, well, I understand the concern. At least know that with a good doctor & constant vigilance, her risk of danger goes down. To be really blunt, a perinatologist told me the risk of mortality for the mother is less than 1% if she's being watched. At least this time around, you know what to watch for.
Lisa
lisac

Postby jabeau » Sun Nov 09, 2003 03:42 pm

Thanks, that at least makes me feel better about her getting pregnant again. I know being aware is a real plus. Before we knew a little but not much about how to watch out for the signs and such, now at least we do and at the first sign we would be reacting.
jabeau

Postby taras mom » Mon Nov 10, 2003 00:16 am

Julie, you're not daft for worrying! PE is scary, and you're a mom--you're entitled.

As for the migraines, is she on any bp meds? Did she discontinue any bp meds? The reason I ask is that I used to have migraines pretty regularly but haven't had ONE in the year I've been on atenolol; apparently this is a pretty common bonus for atenolol users. Given that, it seems reasonable that there might be a rebound effect in women who discontinue atenolol. I haven't heard of this happening, but it's worth considering. Also, did she give up caffeine during pregnancy and then start again afterward? Caffeine use and withdrawal are a common trigger. I hope they figure it out soon; migraines are no fun!

Carol (38)
DH Bill (39)
Tara Mairichi
12/7-12/9, 2002
The Mightiest Little Angel
taras mom

Postby jabeau » Mon Nov 10, 2003 08:17 am

Sherry was on BP medicine for a few weeks then the Dr. took her off. Now they give have her give herself a shot when she feels a migraine coming on. When she was pregnant she did give up caffeine and she drank lots of water. Now she drinks regular soda's. Think this could have something to do with it. When she starts to get a migraine she starts seeing spots but the shots seem to help. Thanks Julie

Julie
jabeau

Postby taras mom » Mon Nov 10, 2003 07:41 pm

Weaning herself off the caffeine again (slowly!) might reduce the frequency of her migraines. There isn't much I wouldn't try to avoid having to give myself a shot![xx(]

Carol (38)
DH Bill (39)
Tara Mairichi
12/7-12/9, 2002
The Mightiest Little Angel
taras mom

Postby jabeau » Mon Nov 10, 2003 07:57 pm

You are right theres not much I will not try either. I will pass that information to Sherry. Thanks . Julie
jabeau

Return to Ask the Experienced