Post Reply FAQ Members Login

"Cure for Preeclampsia?"

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

"Cure for Preeclampsia?"

Postby sherry fisher » Thu Nov 13, 2003 05:43 pm

by sherry fisher (384 Posts), Thu Nov 13, 2003 05:43 pm

Seen the ol' DOC today! Baby is great! 18 weeks great! HR was 150.But my dang BP is still high!! 151/98. Upped the labetalol to 3x's a day as oppose to two. Back to my weekly visits until its under 'control'. No weight gain at all during this pregnancy. No protein! Scheduling me for a level 2 ultrasound (I have spina bifida occulta..so they have to make sure the baby does not!) Unfortunately she said that they can not usually tell if the placenta has underlying damages until the third trimester. Anyone heard of this?!!?!?!?

Ok..my main reason I posted here. I thought you all might be interested in this lil' article.

E Pregnancy
July 03
"Cure for Preeclampsia?
Researchers from the Beth Isreal Deaconess Medical Center in Boston reported finding a key to the mystery of preeclampsia. A severe medical condition during pregnancy. Preeclampsia is charachterized by high blood pressure and protein in the urine. It can be fatal for mom and baby if left unattended.
Dr. S. Ananth Karumanchi, one of the authors of the study says that he and his team examined the genes in the placental cells of pregnant women with and without preeclampsia and found that the women who developed the condition had a paticular protein present. This protein binds two growth factors that are needed for healthy pregnancy development. Scientist hope to eventually treat women with preeclampsia by directly administering the growth factors. -DS"

Sherry Fisher (28)
DH: Bill (35)
Proud Mama to:
#1) Alex 1/1/94-PE
#2) Abbie 12/17/97-PIH
#3 Will 08/03/02-PP PE
#4) EDD: 4/27/04
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/b/babyfish3/
sherry fisher

Re : "Cure for Preeclampsia?"

Postby lisac » Thu Nov 13, 2003 07:13 pm

by lisac (247 Posts), Thu Nov 13, 2003 07:13 pm

Hi Sherry,
Thanks for sharing this. I think it's a breakthrough, but not a cure. For once there is something very concrete instead of just vague theories. Now at least they know they are headed in the right direction!
Lisa
lisac

Re : "Cure for Preeclampsia?"

Postby annegarrett » Thu Nov 13, 2003 10:44 pm

by annegarrett (2525 Posts), Thu Nov 13, 2003 10:44 pm

This is research that our medical board either a) thinks is amazing or b) is very blase about. We of course have no opinion [:D] cause we are so middle of the road (sorry) that we don't have an opinion until something is proven to be helpful.

I met with Dr. Karumanchi and he is very excited about the work and I think very motivated to work on the issue. He never studied preeclampsia before and in fact this work was a by-product of his work studying cancer. He has since joined our professional membership and is a strong supporter of our work.

The reality is we get calls every month about "the cure" and the press usually wants a very black or white response--with a bias towards the positive. When we say, "we don't know" they don't want to quote us". I think highly of the man personally--he is motivated, obviously very bright, and hit on something potentially important to us. But it is too soon for us all to breath a sigh of relief...much more research needs to be done before we can know for sure.

Anne Garrett
Executive Director
Preeclampsia Foundation
annegarrett

Return to Ask the Experienced