Grape flavorx in zantac meds question

So, the baby's born, what comes next? Discuss your postpartum and parenting concerns here.
lucy

Re : Grape flavorx in zantac meds question

Postby lucy » Mon Oct 09, 2006 09:11 pm

Thanks guys, I have been filling the bigger dropper with water and putting a paper towel under her chin while I irrigate it out with the water after shes swallowed it all just to rinse her mouth otherwise she she sits there smacking her lips with a disgusted look on her face and trys spitting to get the taste out I presume it does seem to help.
The Dr says she confident Sarina will outgrow it so hopefully that will happen soon I dont know how long reflux normally lasts.

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Mon Oct 09, 2006 04:08 pm

The taste is never great....no matter what you add to it. We just squirted the grape flavored stuff in her cheek, toward the back and gave her a chaser of milk or flavored pedialyte in a bottle (though breast should work well too, if you're fast!) She never liked it but she got used to the routine. Just remember that even though it tastes bad, it is helping her...and it will prevent the really awful pain and burning she feels. :-) And teh best part is that she won't remember it!

tracym

Postby tracym » Sun Oct 08, 2006 09:16 pm

When I needed ebm for Kate's meds I'd often just hand express one side whist she was feeding on the other...a lot of the time I'd get enough just out of the let down on the boob that she wasn't feeding on without having to squeeze any more out.

Maybe give that a try also....

season
Forum Moderator

Postby season » Sun Oct 08, 2006 08:20 pm

Lucy,

Glad I could give you the idea. Mommy brain gets to all of us. :) I hope that you find something that works for that precious baby of yours!

lucy

Postby lucy » Sun Oct 08, 2006 02:54 am

Sue duh I am a goof I guess I could do that didnt really think about it. She also seems to highly dislike the grape much more than the regular.

season
Forum Moderator

Postby season » Sat Oct 07, 2006 08:04 pm

Lucy,

Couldn't you pump once a day (or less) for the milk needed for meds? Fresh it keeps in the fridge for, if I recall, up to four days. Thawed milk keeps for only 24 hours in the fridge, fresh is longer.

So with that you could pump once every four days, and then just use a little at a time for the meds.

Have you treid the grape flavored med? Did she respond any differently?

lucy

Postby lucy » Sat Oct 07, 2006 03:13 pm

Thanks guys, I was getting her to take it by mixing it with a little bit of ebm and drawing it up into the medicine dropper than squirting it in her cheeck but either I have to open a 2 ounce bag of frozen breast milk than dump out what she doesnt use (since its only good for 24 hrs and I freeze it in 2-3 ounce increments and she only uses a tiny bit for her medicine) or clean all my pump parts and pump twice a day for under an ounce so I am trying to find a way to give it without doing that, we mix it with her dose of gas drops because she likes the taste of them better but they dont help much.
Her reflux is pretty bad it has been chocking her some lately thankfully her weight gain has been close to off the charts great!!

cara

Postby cara » Wed Oct 04, 2006 04:26 pm

I always put the meds with an ounce of formula in a small breastmilk storage bottle and gave that first. It was never a problem. He never knew the difference, or acted like it anyway. When he got off the bottle at 1, I just shot it straight down hs throat until we got put on the chewable prevacid. He still takes some liquid meds and I KNOW it can't taste good...banana grape zyrtec mixed with birthday cake-smelling Reglan...ugh!...but he takes it perfectly every single morning. I guess the poor kid is used to it now.

Try mixing it with the formula/breast milk. She probably won't know the difference.

season
Forum Moderator

Postby season » Wed Oct 04, 2006 02:40 pm

Lucy,

We always gave ds the grape infant tylenol. One day my husband got some on his finger. He licked it off and then asked me if I had ever tasted the stuff. I had not so I did then. It is also awful - not like any other grape flavored thing I've had. BUT, the kids have both always liked it.

So, it's worth a try. She may like it. If she doesn't then you can go back to the non flavored med.

Prior to flavoring it, had she gotten any better with taking it? How has her reflux been acting?

dja

Postby dja » Wed Oct 04, 2006 00:45 am

Hi Lucy - the zantac we get is a very strong mint. Grape wouldn't have helped because they we'd have had grape mint. Over time, Malcolm had adjusted and learned to like the mint. He now takes it without any other drink to wash it down. But I'd say the awful taste of the medicine is better than the acid reflux!

Return to “After your baby is born .....”