Post Reply FAQ Members Login

my first dr apt

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

my first dr apt

Postby akemt » Wed Dec 24, 2003 10:39 am

by akemt (4961 Posts), Wed Dec 24, 2003 10:39 am

So, while I don't know that I like the doctor, everything went well. I do have the option of seeing his partner.

BP of 103/64 which shocked my mom...lol Though that is expected.

They did a U/S and we were able to see the hb, etc. Our due date is 8/11 or 8/12 depending on which measuremtn they use. lol So, I'm 7 wks today. One more week untill I hit the HG starting point of last pg. I've got slight nausea but not bad at all...as long as I eat as soon as I possibly feel hungry! lol

Anyway, MERRY CHRISTMAS everyone!

Catherine (22)
DH Britton (27)
Emma Margaret (03/02/03) 37 weeks from PIH & oligo
akemt

Re : my first dr apt

Postby julie f » Wed Dec 24, 2003 03:07 pm

by julie f (7993 Posts), Wed Dec 24, 2003 03:07 pm

Catherine,

Glad to hear your appt went well! I hope that the doctor grows on you or, that his partner is terrific! That's so exciting that you got to see the heartbeat, what a great Christmas gift!

Julie
Zachary James, 7/22/03-7/27/03, born at 26 weeks due to severe pe
julie f

Postby alimarie » Fri Dec 26, 2003 10:20 am

by alimarie (530 Posts), Fri Dec 26, 2003 10:20 am

I know you must be glad to have the first appt. done. how nice of them to check with u/s for you. they did that for me at nine weeks and i was relieved because i did not have any feelings of being pregnant then. my dr. put my mind to rest that it really was true! i hope your first experience with this dr. will not be the way it is for the rest of the time. definitely switch to his partner if it doesn't improve. i am nervous about finding one i like as much as i liked our drs. with our first. keep us updated for sure! congrats on hitting seven weeks. oh, i didn't catch the HG? what does that stand for? i am assuming severe vomitting or something?
alison

AliMarie---mommy to Madalyn Anne-born at 35 wks due to severe pe (9/18/2001 4lbs. 14oz.)
alimarie

Postby natan » Fri Dec 26, 2003 02:38 pm

by natan (203 Posts), Fri Dec 26, 2003 02:38 pm

Don't be afraid of switching to his partner. You want a good relationship from the beginning. You have the right to do that.

Deborah[;)]
natan

Postby akemt » Fri Dec 26, 2003 05:44 pm

by akemt (4961 Posts), Fri Dec 26, 2003 05:44 pm

HG stands for hyperemesis gravidarum and you're right, it's severe vomitting (meaning lots). Nasty stuff.

And thanks everyone! I am scheduled to visit that doctor again at my next apt and am fine with seeing him then, but will probably schedule my following apt with his partner.

It was just kind of irritating. I felt like I was being treated like I had no knowledge about anything. Plus, when he started the AFP shpeal and I said I didn't want the test, he continued giving his little talk about it. I repeated that I was not interested and would not get the test, and he STILL went on. Like he had a script he had to follow or something instead of just making sure I knew what I was talking about. He was very good in how he covered the weight issue, though, I have to hand it to him. And, other than asking me a few questions about my last pg, all he said about PE was that he doubted I'd get it this time while my previous OB had said he thought I had a "fair" chance of getting it (whatever that really meant lol).

Anyway, we'll see how the next apt goes, then I'll go to the other dr and see who I like better.

Catherine (22)
DH Britton (27)
Emma Margaret (03/02/03) 37 weeks from PIH & oligo
akemt

Postby sweetiesuzy » Fri Dec 26, 2003 06:48 pm

by sweetiesuzy (2404 Posts), Fri Dec 26, 2003 06:48 pm

Catherine,
Glad to hear that your first appointment went well! How nice that you were able to hear the heartbeat [:)] I pray that you don't get hg again. It is so awful. I am now feeling the nasty nausea... I have been taking Zofran which helps some. I nhave started the hormonal headaches as well. AHHH - the joys of the first trimester. Let me know how you are feeling.
Take care -
Suzanna

DS 3/25/95
DD 10/26/01 stillbirth
DS 12/30/02
AND ~ Peanut edd 8/6/04
sweetiesuzy

Postby alimarie » Sat Dec 27, 2003 06:04 am

by alimarie (530 Posts), Sat Dec 27, 2003 06:04 am

Thanks for clearing up the hg question. that sounds like absolute torture! that is weird that he kept on and on about a test you were clear about not wanting.
you mentioned the weight issue. this has been my newest worry ( i am a constant worrier). i am feeling guilty about starting a pregnancy at my current weight. remember i am trying and part of my wants to get pregnant right away and the other part wants to lose some weight before i do. holidays are a terrible time to be thinking about this. i started my last preg. at 150 and gained 50 pounds...hopefully i wouldn't gain that much next time. right now i am fluctuating between 175-180. i am scared a dr. will comment on this and i will feel pressured to not gain an ounce. i worry this will keep my focus from helping develop a healthy baby and create a constant focus on my weight. i am toying with the idea of talking with my dr. when it is time and ask that i not have a strong focus on the weight gain..unless it gets out of hand with pe like last time.
can any of you encourage me? i am now feeling yucky and guilty about my weight gain and tired of placing a ton of pressure on myself. ok, i am done whining.
i do feel about being honest and finally sharing this with someone..ok, maybe a lot of someones...haha

alison

AliMarie---mommy to Madalyn Anne-born at 35 wks due to severe pe (9/18/2001 4lbs. 14oz.)
alimarie

Postby mada » Sat Dec 27, 2003 07:40 am

by mada (4081 Posts), Sat Dec 27, 2003 07:40 am

Hi Catherine,
Glad to hear the visit went well. I had a doc who was pretty insistint on the afp as well..I felt the same way and that is first off there are way too many false positives which puts parents through unneccisary worry....Also for me it wasn't even an issue, I would have my baby no matter what.. Some docs just don't get that. Anyway, the point is, he ended up being really great. I had to have an amnio at 35 weeks to see if Sam's lungs were developed (because of the pe) and I was so nervous the first appt. he had me go home and then came in on his day off to do the amnio. I would defenitley try his partner, you may match with him better, but sometimes they suprise you after an appt. or two. I hope all goes well. [:)]

Mada Harpster

Sam 6-29-00 36weeks P.E.
Ben 11-03-01 No P.E.
mada

Return to Pregnant Again?