How long did you wait to get pregnant after a c-se

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

How long did you wait to get pregnant after a c-se

Postby fyrestar » Fri Apr 02, 2004 08:52 am

I developed pre-e in my 34th week of pregnancy, was induced at 36 and ended up with a c-section. We're already thinking of #2 and I'm wondering how long we should wait. I've read different things - some said 6 months and some said 1 year.

Did anyone get pregnant that quickly after pre-e and a c-section? Did it go okay? Did you get pre-e again? Thanks! [:)]

fyrestar

Re : How long did you wait to get pregnant after a c-se

Postby tahoe4 » Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:46 am

I delivered at 34 weeks on Christmas Day of 2002. I was pregnant again 9 months later and my c-section date will be June 4, 2004. My dr said to wait at least 6 months before conceiving again.
tahoe4

Postby julie f » Mon Apr 05, 2004 08:40 pm

We were told to give 6 months for various reasons, one of them being the C-section. I think it also depends on the type of C-section incision that you end up getting as well. When we start trying again it will have actually been 9 months...

What does your OB say, they could probably give you the best answer for your situation. When was you last baby born?

Julie (27)
Zachary James, 7/22/03-7/27/03, born at 26wks - severe pe

Southern California Coordinator
julie f

Postby azrood » Tue Apr 06, 2004 05:33 am

I was diagnosed with pre-e at 38 weeks with my first pregnancy and ended up being induced and having a c-section immediately. We got pregnant with our second baby 7 months later (started "trying" at 5 months) and that pregnancy went much more smoothly and although my bp started rising around 30 weeks, it never got as high as it did with the first and we made it to 39 weeks when we had our planned c-section. Now we have a 19 mo. old and a 3 mo. old and I really want to try for another, but I'm hesitant to put my body through a third pregnancy so soon.

Jaime
azrood

Postby fyrestar » Tue Apr 06, 2004 04:47 pm

I didn't ask my OB because I felt a little uncomfortable about it - I really like the doctor that delivered me, but I had a shaky relationship with the practice in general throughout my pregnancy and I thought they might freak out if I was already talking about having another baby.

But she kinda gave me the impression that we could have another one right away. I asked her about the incision on the uterus and she said it was a low transverse just like the skin, and I could try for a VBAC. She asked if I wanted any birth control and didn't seem concerned at all when I said we'll probably use condoms. I thought she was going to push for birth control lol.

6 months sounds pretty good. I think I read that it takes 4 months for the incision to fully heal, so an extra 2 sounds good. Thanks all!

Cade Morgan, 2/14/04
4 lbs, 11 oz, 19"
(10 lbs at 7 weeks!)
Born @ 35 weeks, 5 days due to mild preeclampsia
fyrestar

Return to Pregnant Again?