Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Questions about IUD's

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Re : Questions about IUD's

Postby akemt » Mon Nov 03, 2003 01:12 pm

Marcy,

I've never had an IUD so I probably shouldn't be answering this...but will give you the LITTLE I know:

I do have one friend who got pg with an IUD (rare, obviously) and had to have it left in the entire pg. Luckily her daughter sufferend no known damage.

Here is what another freind who has one said:
The risks are scary as H**l but it's good if you can get past that...lol
some risks: the iud can be imbeded and will need to be surgically removed.. you can lose your reproductive organs from extreme infection
death
fainting during the procedure of putting it in
cramps
heavier and more painful periods
ectopic pregnancy
its wonderful other than the risks of it
and the reason its scarey is because I am afraid its not going to work
because the IUD doesn't prevent fertilization of the egg, it just prevents it from attatching to the uterine wall and even then, its not 100% nothing is

Sorry if that was rather forward and on the negative side. I have little knowledge and only a biased opinion...lol So, don't make a decision because of me, just wanted to give you the little info I had.

Catherine (22)
DH Britton (27)
Emma Margaret (03/02/03) 37 weeks from PIH & oligo
akemt

Postby sarahedgcomb » Mon Nov 03, 2003 01:53 pm

Hi Marcy,

After my son was born, I had the Mirena IUD put in. It's smaller than the copper ones and it has a small amount of progesterone that's emitted, locally, to the lining of your uterus.

I had good luck with it. It was uncomfortable to be inserted. You have to wait until your first day of your period (that's when your cervix is the softest and it's open slightly - and you're most likely not pregnant). They insert a small, plastic tube into your cervix and push the IUD up. It's tiny and after it's inserted, you don't feel it at all. The insertion takes less than 5 minutes and feels very crampy. It's over quickly though.

In terms of side effects, I had some breakthough bleeding for the first 3 months or so... just spotting really. Then, nothing. I don't think they recommend Mirena for women with diabetes or heart disease. The only weird thing with the Mirena is that you don't get your period. You still ovulate, but since it has the progesterone, the lining of your uterus doesn't get thick enough to "slough" off. I didn't really like that part, but it wasn't so bad. I liked the fact that I was still having regular cycles - ovulation-wise.

Since I had pre-e, my doctor suggested that I stay away from combination oral contraceptives (with estrogen). This seemed like the best alternative. I think if I was going to have another one (IUD), I'd get copper this time. Even though I didn't mind the Mirena, I don't really like the idea of synthetic hormones flotating around my body. I was happy with the concept of the IUD though. It's very easy - you don't have to remember to take a pill, you don't feel it, you don't have to stop to put a condom on and it allows you to be spontaneous without worrying about getting pregnant. You can also keep it in for 5 years. I think you can keep the copper one longer.

I had my IUD taken out in May and it was very very easy. They just pulled the string hanging out from the cervix and it was out in less than 5 seconds -- and there was no pain.

Good luck with your decision.

Sarah
sarahedgcomb

Postby sarahedgcomb » Mon Nov 03, 2003 02:04 pm

Hi Marcy,

I forgot to mention (I just remembered when I read the post from Akment) that at the time I was researching IUDs and talking to my doctor about them, I asked if it was possible for the egg to be fertilized and b/c of the IUD not able to implant. She told me that it was unlikely that that happens. The IUD, whether copper or the Mirena, changes your cervical mucus and greatly affects the mobility of the sperm, making it unlikely that the egg is being fertilized.

Sarah
sarahedgcomb

Postby sjs40 » Tue Dec 23, 2003 02:28 pm

I had my Mirena IUD put in 27 October and I had cramps for about a week afterwards. Now I get the odd cramp and some spotting but no full blown AF which is such a relief for me. Prior to my pregnancy and PE I had suffered terribly with very heavy,painful,10 days to 2wks AF. For me it is good not to have to worry about taking a pill every day (Im still on bp medication so can't anyway), and I like the fact that it is reversable if I want to get preg again.
Sue

Sue (40)
Chris (37)
DD Eleanor Susan (Ellie)
born at 27wks severe PE
24 July 03 - 20 August 03
sjs40

Postby twolfgram » Wed Dec 24, 2003 05:39 am

I used the copper IUD for about six months after my son was born. I didn't like it because my periods were so heavy. After my other son was stillborn last year, my OB recommended the Mirena. I think once we decide we're done trying for another, or we have another I will go that route. The not having periods is especially attractive to me!

Therese Mom to
Jonathan - 28 weeks born 10/4/95
Angel in Heaven - Erik 12/20/02
twolfgram

Postby sarahedgcomb » Fri Dec 26, 2003 11:01 am

Hi

For me, the insertion was definitely painful, but the pain only lasted as long as it took to put in (about 2 minutes). After that, I didn't have cramps or anything. After my period stopped - which was only a day or two after I had Mirena put in - I didn't have any spotting. I did, however, spot for about 2 months after I had my first period with Mirena inserted. It was wierd, but I didn't have cramps and the spotting wasn't heavy. After those 2 months, my spotting stopped. And I would occasionally have some very very slight spotting when I should have been expecting my period. But after a while, even that stopped and I stopped keeping track of when my period was due.

Sarah
sarahedgcomb

Return to Ask the Experienced