Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Thinking about trying again

Thinking about trying again

Postby michellelhuston » Tue Jun 20, 2006 04:00 pm

by michellelhuston (1251 Posts), Tue Jun 20, 2006 04:00 pm

Hi everyone! I am new to this site. Here is a little of my backgroud and confusion. I had a great pregnancy up until 24 weeks and 1 day when my first born son Tyler was born. Because of severe pre-eclampsia, Tyler weighed in at a mere 12.3oz. He was a strong little boy and fought for 3 days when the Lord called him home. After I was sent home on Friday, I was re-admitted to the hospital on Tuesday for a DVT in my leg. It has been 10 1/2 months since all of this has happend. I just meet with my OB because we are thinking about trying again, but we are so scared that we are going to have a repeat of last time. Especially since I developed it really early and it was so severe. I am not sure that My husband, our families and friends, and I would be able to handle this happening again. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. How did you all decide to try again? When is it the right time? I know I am ready to have a baby again, but just confused if we should even try again or just skip trying and look into another option. Thanks for listening. Please feel free to e-mail me anytime mhuston@iconexhibits.com!
michellelhuston

Re : Thinking about trying again

Postby julie f » Tue Jun 20, 2006 04:45 pm

by julie f (7993 Posts), Tue Jun 20, 2006 04:45 pm

Michelle,

I just wanted to say hi and welcome you. I am so very sorry for the loss of your son Tyler. My heart breaks everytime we meet someone new who has lost their precious angel.

My husband and I lost our first son in July of 2003, he was born at 26 weeks and was with us for five days. I knew immediately that I wanted to try again, as soon as my doctors would let me. Thank goodness my doctors made me wait because looking back I know I wasn't ready but that desire was just so strong. When we actually started TTC again I was terrified - a bit excited as well but so scared of what might happen.

As far as when is the right time - I really think that's something that you have to decide with your husband and doctors. My OB wanted me to wait at least six months, my peri liked to see closer to a year. At six months, I was chomping at the bit to become pregnant again. Because of some medication that I was on, we waited a few more months and became pregnant again 10 months later.

Have you been tested for any underlying disorders that can increase your risk of preeclampsia? One thing that I would really suggest is to meet with a peri for a preconception consult. They will likely test you for the disorders if it hasn't already been done, they will also be able to discuss your case in detail and provide you with a better picture of your specific risks. My husband and I met with three different peris before we found the one that we were comfortable with and that took us through our 2nd pregnancy. I truly believe that the highest level of medical care can make a significant difference.

Please take care and let us know how we can help. I saw that you've already posted a response to a member's post on the TTC Board, it would be a great place for this subject as well - you'll find many women going through the same thing with you.

Again, I am so sorry for your loss.
julie f

Postby michellelhuston » Tue Jun 20, 2006 05:01 pm

by michellelhuston (1251 Posts), Tue Jun 20, 2006 05:01 pm

Hi Julie!

Thanks for the encouragement. I am also sorry to hear about your loss. I am sure that our little ones are playing together! You hear about these stories all the time, but never think that it is going to happen to you.

I am actaully going to a peri next week on Thusday. I am hoping to get some more answers then too! I have done so much research, but it all seems to run together after a while. I have always dreamed of the day that I had kids. And I guess that I want them even more when I know that all of our friends our having kids. I just yearn to be apart of that too! My husband talked about waiting, and that we are still young (I am 25, he just turned 28). But the thing is I know how much more complicated things could get with age. I know if it is meant to br for us, God will have he way of letting us know!

I will keep you posted on my doctor visit! This is a great website! I am really glad that I found it!
michellelhuston

Postby timelessbeauty » Wed Jun 21, 2006 00:00 am

by timelessbeauty (1712 Posts), Wed Jun 21, 2006 00:00 am

Michelle,

I am so sorry for the loss of your son. Allow me to send over my son as well for another playmate. I lost my son in Oct 2002 due to severe PE and HELLP at 24 wks gestation. It seems to take years off our lives to go through such a traumatic event. I hear a kindred tone in your text of a bit of a resilient nature.

I, too, have gone on to have successful pregnancies after my loss. I live here in Indiana as I noticed you posted in this section and am available to talk any time you like in reference to the PE experience, looking to try again, emotions and things to think about. I did try some things differently after my loss and I cannot say what exactly worked for me nor if it would work for anyone else, but I am willing to relate what I have tried in hopes of a brighter outcome.

I will be anxious to know how your doctor visit goes as well! I have already sent you an email and hope you feel free to email me in return. I look forward to hearing from you.

timelessbeauty

Postby indylady625 » Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:03 pm

by indylady625 (16 Posts), Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:03 pm

I live in Indianapolis on southside. I am currently pregnant with baby 2. My son who is 7 was born at 30 weeks..2.6 lbs. He was born in a hospital in Indy. He spent 68 days in NICU. He didn't have any of the major problems just bpd. He was on the vent for 3 weeks. He didnt gain weight well. But he okay. His lungs was the major problem. He was on oxygen for 12 months. He is in 1st grade now and doing well. He has learning disabilities but he is very intelligent. LD runs on both sides of family. Everything was okay with his pregnancy until 26 weeks. Then things went downhill but it was a slow progression. I was on bedrest for 4 weeks. My blood pressure was never really bad. It was just time that played on it.

I divorced his father 5 years ago. I remarried but divorced this year. I am pregnant by the most wonderful man I have ever met. I have wanted a baby for 3 years but never had a father. Now that I am pregnant..I am 50/50 scared and confident. I am confident that my baby will be healthy..You know 4 lbs or more. That's huge to preemie parents. I am more afraid of having a smaller baby than my son. We were very lucky with him. I educated myself on all the preemie facts and risks. I hope my wonderful son and lovely partner do not have to go through the pain and wait of a preemie.

I know things have changed alot since 1999. What is a peri doctor? Right now, I am just seeing a regular ob/gyn. But I am also complicated by having RH negative blood. I read your posts and was wondering about this further. Please email me this info.

Danielle...indy...
indylady625

Postby michellelhuston » Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:47 am

by michellelhuston (1251 Posts), Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:47 am

Danielle,

Congratulations on your pregnancy and welcome to the forums! A peri, is also a high risk doctor. I would really look into to finding one in Indy. I know that there are a lor of great doctors down there. I am sure that Sue (timelessbeauty) can give you some pointers of who to go to. High risk doctors, are usually more experienced with various pregnancy complications including PE. How far along are you with this pregnancy. I wish you the best of luck and please let us know if you have any other questions!
michellelhuston

Return to Indiana