Post Reply FAQ Members Login

I am off to Bed for the next 8 weeks!

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

I am off to Bed for the next 8 weeks!

Postby erin2003 » Tue Nov 04, 2003 04:43 am

by erin2003 (40 Posts), Tue Nov 04, 2003 04:43 am

Hi All,

Just wanted to post on and give an update. On the weekend I sorta over did it helping DH around the house. I could feel my BP going up, starting seeing spots, had a throbbing headache, and was irritable. I stayed on the couch Sunday. Yesterday I had a Peri appointment and I wasn't really shocked to see my BP back up around 148/90. They had me laydown because they wanted to get an idea of where my bp goes if I am laying. Ofcourse it soon went down to 128/78. As soon as I sat back up it went sky high. My hands and face were very swollen yesterday as well which caused concern. I still have nil protein in my urine and weight gain is steady. However they feel it would be best that I go on strict bedrest for the remainder of the pregnancy. They can see the pattern that started last time and bedrest came too late with that pregnancy. I am now on weekly appoinments. They re-ran all blood work yesterday to get an idea where I stand right now.

My question is, Do other Peri's put their patients on bedrest before there is a problem?! Do you all feel my Peri is being overly proactive?!

Don't get me wrong! I am very very happy with our Peri and the care we haev recieved. I just wondered what steps are taken with others?!

Thanks to all who has been following our story!

Erin
31weeks!

Me 27 DH 28
^|^ Jackson Andrew Jan 21-25, 2003
Born at 27w5d due to Pre-E, HELLP
OMGoodness! It's a Girl! EDD Jan 6/04
C-section scheduled Dec 31/03
www.babiesonline.com/babies/p/polkie
erin2003

Re : I am off to Bed for the next 8 weeks!

Postby laura » Tue Nov 04, 2003 08:34 am

by laura (5139 Posts), Tue Nov 04, 2003 08:34 am

Hi Erin- Sorry to hear you've been exiled!- But- you're in good company, we've all been there!
I wouldn't say your peri is jumping the gun at all. I think it's standard for docs to prescrible bedrest once a patient hits the PIH stage- AND I would hope that he's sending you to do Non stress testing twice a week as well- where they can monitor the baby, check your pressure and dip your urine- that's also normal to order once you're diagnosed with PIH.
If you're on the receiving end of the swelling and headaches it may seem like a small thing- but they are indicative of a process developing that is terribly dangerous. I think it would be great if you had a cuff at home to check your pressures, and if you develop a headache that won't go a way with tylenol, please don't hesitate to go in to the emergency room. take care, and please let us know how you're doing!

Laura-28
DH Jack-30
Allie 5-13-98 (35 weeks-pre-e)
Baby Camille 4-17-03 (36 weeks- htn and oligo)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/c/camilleandallie/
laura

Postby mada » Tue Nov 04, 2003 11:27 am

by mada (4081 Posts), Tue Nov 04, 2003 11:27 am

Hi erin,
I think it's good that your peri is being cautious....Besides, even though bedrest gets pretty lame, you need all the rest oyu can get before that baby comes[:D] Hang in there and let us know how you are doing! We are here for you[:)]

Mada Harpster

Sam 6-29-00 36weeks P.E.
Ben 11-03-01 No P.E.
mada

Postby julie f » Tue Nov 04, 2003 11:35 am

by julie f (7993 Posts), Tue Nov 04, 2003 11:35 am

Erin,

I'm sorry that you've been put on bedrest but, the good news is that you're almost there right??? 31 weeks!!! That's great!!! I can't wait 'till your post that says you've rung in the new year with a healthy baby girl!

I have to say, I watch your posts so carefully because I'm praying that I will be where you are next year! You've gotten so far after all that you have been through and I really hope that I will have your courage.

Keep us updated!

Julie
Zachary James, 7/22/03-7/27/03, born at 26 weeks due to severe pe
julie f

Postby amandab » Tue Nov 04, 2003 04:47 pm

by amandab (166 Posts), Tue Nov 04, 2003 04:47 pm

Erin,

I'm sorry you are off to bed, but I am so glad to hear that your Peri is being so cautious. My OB has already said she will be this cautious with me. And I am happy to oblige!

I am also so happy to see you've made it to 31 weeks. I bet it is such a relief to make it past that 27w5d mark.

Take care, and please keep us updated!

Amanda
~i~ Aidan Timothy
4/14/03 29 wks
Expecting again!!!
EDD 6/13/04
amandab

Postby sweetiesuzy » Tue Nov 04, 2003 05:57 pm

by sweetiesuzy (2404 Posts), Tue Nov 04, 2003 05:57 pm

Erin,
Yes, bedrest is hard, but the reward is priceless. Soon you will have that beautiful baby in your arms and you will know that your peri did a wonderful thing for you and your family! I know you will find a lot of support here over the next 8 weeks, so keep us all posted and bug us a lot!!! Isn't it amazing to have made it so far! Like Amanda said, passing your 27w5d mark helps a lot. I know you won't belive it until you hold your precious bundle, but you will and it will be the most amazing moment of your life to bring your baby home. Pleas note that my babe's birthday is December 30th... you never know... she may come a day early [:D]

BTW ~ Amanda ~ CONGRATULATIONS!!! Let us know how you are feeling and doing with this pregnancy. I know how hard a subsequent pregnancy after a loss can be. I'll be keeping you close at heart.

HUGS to you all,
Suzanna

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined." - Thoreau

DS 3/25/95
DD Stillbirth 10/26/01
DS 12/30/02

sweetiesuzy

Postby erin2003 » Wed Nov 05, 2003 05:18 am

by erin2003 (40 Posts), Wed Nov 05, 2003 05:18 am

[:)] Thank you all for your support! [:)]

Knowing that you are all here and truly understand where I am right now provides more comfort than I could have imagined!

Amanda: Many wishes your way! Set yourself small goals and milestones and the weeks will float by!

Better head back to bed, just wanted to say thanks for your reponses and thoughts!

Many ((hugs))

Erin

Me 27 DH 28
^|^ Jackson Andrew Jan 21-25, 2003
Born at 27w5d due to Pre-E, HELLP
OMGoodness! It's a Girl! EDD Jan 6/04
C-section scheduled Dec 31/03
www.babiesonline.com/babies/p/polkie
erin2003

Return to Ask the Experienced