Help Anyone!!!

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Help Anyone!!!

Postby newmommymar04 » Wed Nov 26, 2003 10:56 am

Hello Everyone.. Sorry it has been a while. I figured that I wouldnt be needing anyones help because I "THOUGHT" my blood pressure was under control.

I am now 26 weeks along YAY!!

I have been taking my bp at home with a digital self pump model 2 times per day. in the last 2 weeks the highest reading I got was 128/80 and even had some as low as 111/50 at rest.

Then today I go to the doctor and to my suprise guess what... my bp soared to 134/90 causeing my doctor to order blood work and another 24 hour urine.

He said he that he will check for any kidney problems and that I will need to come back in 2 weeks. ( I have been seing him every 2 weeks since week 22 ) My blood pressure has not gotten above 140/90 in the last month so thats good.

WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY

is my blood pressure so high at the dr's office.

My doctor said that if my diastolic # is in the 90's again at my December 8th visit that I will have to go on bedrest. If that does not work he is going to put me on bp medicine.

He has told me that I have been now diagnosed with..
Pregnancy Induced Hypertension because I was Chronic Hypertension before.

Can someone please tell me what is in store for me here. I am so worried the baby is being harmed.
He told me that I am retaining fluid because I gained 4lbs in 2 weeks.
My belly measurments 2 weeks ago were 23inches
and today they were 25inches ( right on target )

My doctor said that as long as my belly keeps growing at the correct rate that the baby has enough amniotic fluid is this true??

Any suggestions , comments about anything that I have said??

Thanks guys

Christy

EDD
3/5/04[?]
newmommymar04

Re : Help Anyone!!!

Postby newmommymar04 » Wed Nov 26, 2003 11:01 am

p.s.

my total weight gain so far has been 16lbs.
newmommymar04

Postby julie f » Wed Nov 26, 2003 11:34 am

Christy,

I don't have too much advice to offer but, I wanted to say congrats to making to to 26 weeks with relatively stable BP!

Is your bp normally higher when you go to the doctor's? I know some people have what they call, "white coat hypertension." (BP goes up at the dr.'s but resumes to "normal" after the appointment.) Did they take your bp again at the end of the appt.? Also, have you brought your machine in to check it against the one in the dr.'s ofice? I think that it's wonderful that your doctor is so on top of it and ordering the 24 hour urine.

About your belly growing at the correct rate meaning that there is enough fluid - I don't know, my dr. used an u/s machine to measure the fluid for us.

Keep resting and take care! Keep us posted w/your test results.

Julie
Zachary James, 7/22/03-7/27/03, born at 26 weeks due to severe pe
julie f

Postby newmommymar04 » Wed Nov 26, 2003 12:04 am

think my blood pressure machine is working properly because it records my pulse accurately..

but...

at my next appt ( in 2 weeks ) I am going to take it with me and have them test it out to see what it says.

I do think it goes up when I go to the doctor, but my doctor said it doesnt matter when it goes up just that it goes up, showing that I do have the hypertension.

Gosh I am just soooo worried that I wont make it to full term.

Have any of you have shortness of breath, or chest tightening feelings, and getting winded?

I dont know if it is related to the high blood pressure or not, or if it is because my uterus is now pushing on my diaphram.

Anyone having shortness of breath?
newmommymar04

Postby sherry fisher » Wed Nov 26, 2003 01:06 pm

Hey Christy!
I too am having shortness of breath. Not all the time. However; I go through these spells where I will get really short of breath and feel like I can not take the deep breath that I need?!?! Not sure what this is about.

As far as the measurements of your tummy. I think most dr's use this as a 'guideline'. If it measures TOO high or TOO low they may order an ultrasound to check the amniotic fluid. I think they expect it to fluctuate some. My BP is measuring good at home and then higher at the Dr's as well. I think that mine has alot to do with being nervous as to what my BP is going to be?!?! lol

GOOD LUCK!! And congrats on making the 26 week mark!

Sherry Fisher (28)
DH: Bill (35)
Proud Mama to:
#1) Alex 1/1/94-PE
#2) Abbie 12/17/97-PIH
#3 Will 08/03/02-PP PE
#4) EDD: 4/27/04
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/b/babyfish3/
sherry fisher

Postby laura » Wed Nov 26, 2003 03:37 pm

Hmm, I know they use fundal height as one way to check for amniotic fluid, but really the only way to tell is through ultrasound, which is usually ordered to when hypertension is diagnosed.

I had severely low fluid- low enough that I had to deliver for it- but my fundal height was always appropriate for my gestational age. If they'd just been looking at fundal height, they'd have missed it!

Hopefully soon (28-32 weeks) they'll be sending you for testing???

Laura-28
DH Jack-30
Allie 5-13-98 (35 weeks-pre-e)
Baby Camille 4-17-03 (36 weeks- htn and oligo)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/c/camilleandallie/
laura

Postby akemt » Wed Nov 26, 2003 05:55 pm

I'd have to agree with Laura...Emma measured about 3 weeks ahead the entire end of my pg (she was just bigger than most,thanks to dh's genes) but I had very low amniotic fluid at the same time and my fundal heights were always right on target or a week or two ahead.

Catherine (22)
DH Britton (27)
Emma Margaret (03/02/03) 37 weeks from PIH & oligo
akemt

Postby angelical » Wed Nov 26, 2003 07:02 pm

My situation was almost exactly like yours, Catherine.

I always measured, by fundal height etc right on or a little ahead of my due date, and Aaron measured a week ahead at birth... but I had severely low fluid. So low that they couldnt attempt to turn him from breach (instead I had a C-section).

Sharel

------------------------
Sharel & Kevin
Aaron - 28 weeker
Born 5/2/02 due to preeclampsia & HELLP

Our miracle boy is doing great!!
angelical

Postby annegarrett » Wed Nov 26, 2003 11:28 pm

FYI: Our Medical Board does not "believe" in white-coat hypertension. A labile blood pressure (fluxing like that) indicates that your blood pressure ultimately will be high. Depending on your care (where are you?) you should be diligent. Some doctors treat with antihypertensives (guidelines recommend that when the diastolic hits 110), and some will treat you earlier. Some will not treat you but deliver. Once you have proteinuria (the 24 hour urine is for that) they will call it preeclampsia and probably step up monitoring. I was diagnosed with my first at 30 weeks and got to 38 weeks. Many women do. We are around all day, all night--so write anytime. It sounds like you have some preeclampsia on the way but MOST women have a mild case. Knowing what is happening is half the battle.

Take care--

Anne Garrett
Executive Director
Preeclampsia Foundation
annegarrett

Postby evansmom » Thu Nov 27, 2003 08:26 am

Hi Christy, I have the same problem as you...my BP always seems to go up in my OBs office. Since my last pregnancy, I've had HBP that has been well controlled with meds. It averages from 100/60 to 120/80. Anyway, I had an appt with my internist last week and my bp was a perfect 120/80. 5 days later, I had my first Ob appt. and it was 130/88 (that morning at home it was 105/60)! My pulse was also fast, causing the BP to rise a little. My doctor says if it goes up slightly (10 milligrams of mercury raise), and goes back down, its probably just the effect of adreneline from anxiety. I would calibrate the machine at your doctor's office to make sure its accurate, and record your readings in a log twice a day. Bring that to your next appt. If you don't have any other symptoms of pe, I would be cautiously optimistic. My last pregnancy I had what I think is called labial blood pressures -- they would go up as high as 170/100, then go down to normal -- and no other pe symptoms. My son made it full term even though my bp went up @27 weeks. Good luck -- i hope your BP stays under control.
Lauren -27
DH Jeff
DS Evan 12/9/01
EDD 7/18/04
evansmom

Next

Return to Ask the Experienced