Pregnant after MC in Sept 03

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

Pregnant after MC in Sept 03

Postby amazonstar » Tue Dec 02, 2003 11:18 am

Hi,
I was here for the 11 weeks of my last pregnancy. At 8 weeks , the fetus stopped growing. I MC in Sept 03.
In the pregnancy before my MC, I delivered at 34 weeks because of Pre-E. When I told my prior OB about my Pre-E, she brushed off my concerns, saying not to think about it, and I would not get it. I posted about that, and got alot of great advice. I did not switch providers at that time, because I was familiar with the office, and afraid to change.
I have a new doctor now, very pro-active, and I am 6 weeks pregnant. He ordered 13 tests for me to find out what may have caused my Pre-E and miscarriage, immune, progestrone MTHFR, etc. Most came back normal, I am waiting for the MTHFR results to come back. If I have that genetic defect, we discussed treatment, which is increased B6,B12,Folic Acid, and perhaps a blood thinner. We also discussed him sending me to a Perinatologist, if I have this problem.
I guess I am writing to say thanks for the support, and that if you are not 100% satisfied with your Dr. - change! I wish I would have.
I wish you all good luck!

Naome
amazonstar

Re : Pregnant after MC in Sept 03

Postby julie f » Tue Dec 02, 2003 11:38 am

Naome,

Welcome back and congratulations on your pregnancy! I hope you're in for a loooong uneventful nine months!

Julie
Zachary James, 7/22/03-7/27/03, born at 26 weeks due to severe pe
julie f

Postby akemt » Tue Dec 02, 2003 03:52 pm

Naome,

I'm sorry for your loss. I have never had a miscarriage. I know how hard it was for my period to show up each month we tried unsucessfully for dd and know that it simply cannot compare to losing a pregnancy. Sometimes thinking about that makes me feel selfish! [:I]

Congratulations on your pregnancy! 6 weeks! YAY. My husband and I just started trying for our 2nd and I'm so wanting to be where you are! lol Though apprehensive at the same time. I'm waiting to see if our first months work has come to fruition, but will let you know as soon as I get a +

Catherine (22)
DH Britton (27)
Emma Margaret (03/02/03) 37 weeks from PIH & oligo
akemt

Postby amazonstar » Tue Dec 02, 2003 04:25 pm

Thanks for responding, Julie and Catherine!
I am finding it hard to be excited. I am on pins and needles waiting for the 2 remaining tests to come back. You see, I was planning on TTC AFTER the tests came back! One thing we know is, I am fertile!
On the one hand, If I test positive for the MTHFR gene, I will be glad, because then I have a reason that the bad pregnancy experiences began and I can take action. It will mean I have a genetic defect that can/has been passed on to my kids, and we will all have to watch our diets and health very closely. MTHFR in man or woman spells heart disease without prevention. I found out about it on this website, BTW. On the other hand , if I do not have it, I will be relieved, but I will not have any one thing I can blame my Pre-e and miscarriage on. I have this need to put a label on something and take action. So, I sit and wait for the phone call from the Dr's office to tell me " what's up". Thanks for listening!

Naome
amazonstar

Postby annegarrett » Tue Dec 02, 2003 05:14 pm

Naome,

I was so sorry to hear about your loss. I am glad though to hear you are pregnant again AND that you have a doctor who is taking your history and concerns seriously. That is so important. I think we all know very well that need you describe to know what happened and why...I think that is why many of us are here.

I am keeping high hopes for a successful pregnancy this time around and want you to know we are all here for you if you need anything. The forum has really grown and I am really proud of how diverse it is--it really represents a lot of varied opinions--definitely makes our poor doctors dread the sight of us with our long list of questions! But hey, that's why they make the big bucks!

Take care and keep us updated!

Anne Garrett
Executive Director
Preeclampsia Foundation
annegarrett

Postby amazonstar » Wed Dec 03, 2003 04:02 pm

thanks , Anne.
My OB's practice is called "Devoted to Women" So far they have been true to form. I will be putting them to the test, though!

Naome
amazonstar

Return to Pregnant Again?