by maxs mom (594 Posts), Tue Dec 30, 2003 09:37 pm
I just saw my Peri today. He became my Peri because I delivered my son at 25 week due to severe Pre-e on 1/20/03. Thankfully, Max is doing great today, a little small at 15+ lbs, but he was only 1 lb 3 ozs when born, so I am sure he will catch up eventually.
Anyway, the reason I saw the Peri is he said to be sure to come to him before we started to plan our next PG. After meeting with him I had a few questions for all of you. But first let me tell you all about how I had to go to the lab and give 13 vials of blood for tests he wanted to run to make sure there is no underlying cause of the pre-e. Honestly, it was no big deal to me to have the blood taken (I donate to preemies now because I am CMV negative) but I think even the lab tech was surprised she had to draw 13 vials. [:D]Anyway, I am glad to have these tests done, and feel pretty confident nothing will show up (just a gut feeling). During my consult, I was asking my Peri all kinds of questions about things I have read that people are doing to avoid pre-e second time around (e.g. aspirin, high calcium, brewers diet, etc) and he said that no reputable studies have showed any of these things helping. He actually referred me to this site to get data on the studies. But my question to all of you is, you all seem to be having good experiences with the measures you are taking. Is it worth it? I am really torn about what to do. Do I got to the extreme and do everything possible so I can feel like I am making a difference. I can't stand the thought of the brewers diet, I hate milk (lactose intolerant) What are all of your thoughts? I would also love to hear from people that actually did something preventive and still got pre-e anyway, I think that might help me make a decision on what to do.
Well, we won't be trying for #2 until late July. The Peri told me I had a classic C-Section when Max was born. I think because #1 he was breached (head tucked under by my rib) and #2 they wanted to get him out fast (3 or 4 minutes from incession to birth, wow) So, he absolutely wants me to wait 18 months until next PG, no problem though.
Thanks for listening to me!
Mom to Max, 25 weeker, 1/20/03