3rd pregnancy after 7 year break--SCARED!

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

Re : 3rd pregnancy after 7 year break--SCARED!

Postby laura » Mon Jan 05, 2004 00:23 am

Hi Suzanne, welcome to the Forum. I'm so glad you found us, and I'm looking forward to hearing about how you're doing![:D]

DH Jack-30
Allie 5-13-98 (35 weeks-pre-e)
Baby Camille 4-17-03 (36 weeks- htn and oligo)

julie f

Postby julie f » Sun Jan 04, 2004 08:12 pm

Congratulations on your pregnancy and welcome! I hope that this pregnancy will be a long and uneventful one for you! You have certainly come to the right place for support!

Are you being followed by a high-risk OB? Let us know how your appt goes!

Zachary James, 7/22/03-7/27/03, born at 26wks - severe pe

Postby alimarie » Sun Jan 04, 2004 06:37 pm

i am glad that you found this place! i know many women will be able to share their stories with you. congrats on your new baby! keep us updated with how your appt. goes tomorrow!

AliMarie---mommy to Madalyn Anne-born at 35 wks due to severe pe (9/18/2001 4lbs. 14oz.)

3rd pregnancy after 7 year break--SCARED!

Postby suzanne » Sun Jan 04, 2004 05:54 pm

Just discovered this forum and am so happy to be able to talk with others that understand! I just found out last week I am unexpectedly (but happily) pregnant with my 3rd child. I am due in late August. My first doctor appt. is tomorrow. I developed preeclampsia early in the 3rd trimester during my first pregnancy. After 10 days of bed rest, it took a sudden turn for the worst (kidneys basically shut down, visual disturbances, etc) and my son was delivered by emergency C-secton at 32 weeks, weighing 3.5 pounds. He was in the hospital for 3 weeks and came home at 4 pounds. He is now 9, and a wonderful boy, but it's been a long road. He has high functioning autism and had a rocky babyhood, with much OT, PT, etc... Has been in special ed. all his life. He is bright and handsome, but I can't say it's been an easy road. My second pregnancy was CLOSE to normal. I took baby aspirin every day, lots of calcium, lots of protein, all things that were recommended then, but from early talks with the nurses at my practice, no longer are thought to help. My BP with my second son did spike a few times, and occasionally I had +1 protein on testing, but he was full term and healthy.

However, I am now 7 years older (37 now, will be 38 when the baby comes), heavier, has been diagnosed with hypothyroidism and am on medication for that, and of course am not able to get as much rest as I did the with the second pregnancy (my first son napped 3 hours a day and so did I!) I am quite scared.

That being said, I'd also love to share my experience with having a pretty good 2nd pregnancy after such a tough first one. I REALLY wanted someone that had been there to talk to last time, and didn't know anyone!

Suzanne (+husband Tony, son William, 9 and son Freddy 6)

Return to “Pregnant Again?”