New/Reply FAQ Members Login

How often do you take your bp?

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

How often do you take your bp?

Postby akemt » Fri Feb 27, 2004 04:16 pm

So I was watching a new chick flick that I bought and realized my heart was pounding. When I counted, 136 beats per minute...I took my BP and it was 152/80.

Just wondering how often you would take your BP when you get an elevated reading? Every half hour? Every hour? I think when I was pg with Emma that if I got a BP elevation more than normal I was supposed to take it every 1/2 hour untill it came down...does that sound right to you ladies? Hopefully it was stress induced [:I] though I don't know what would have stressed me out. It was Runaway Bride which is a cute movie and Emma is napping so??? Anyway...LOL

Thanks from paranoid mom #5,642 [;)]

Catherine (22), Moderator (pregnant again)
DH Britton (27)
Emma Margaret (03/02/03) 37 weeks from PIH & oligo
Baby #2 due August 11, 2004
akemt

Re : How often do you take your bp?

Postby julie f » Fri Feb 27, 2004 04:23 pm

Catherine,
I don't have an answer, sorry. But, just wanted to say thanks for the laugh at "Paranoid Mom #5,642"...[:D] Can I have #5,643...

Julie (27)
Zachary James, 7/22/03-7/27/03, born at 26wks - severe pe

Southern California Coordinator
julie f

Postby akemt » Fri Feb 27, 2004 04:38 pm

LOL Julie, go for it...it was something my mom used to do. Not the paranoid mom thing, well, that too, but she used to say "lecture #53" when we knew what lecture would apply and she didn't feel like spouting it all out. LOL I guess that's where the idea came from?

DH Britton (27)
akemt

Postby akemt » Fri Feb 27, 2004 05:21 pm

So, resting pulse almost an hour later is still over 100, about 104 though so it has come down while sitting here...LOL I haven't taken my BP again yet. I was wondering why I've been feeling all anxious while sitting at the computer. I feel like I have to rush because I'm late for something and I just realized that it is probably the HB. You know how you kind of breath faster when in a hurry (well, atleast I do). Well, that's kinda how it feels. Hrm.

DH Britton (27)
akemt

Postby sonja » Fri Feb 27, 2004 08:27 pm

When my bp is up I will lay down and take it an hour later. That is just what I do, not a doctor advised thing. That is a really high pulse for not doing anything - even after it went down that is high. My pulse was high all of the time - around 100 and I got diagnosed with a high cardiac output and put on meds at around 22 weeks (by the lovely folks at the UofW). My bps going up to around 125/73, not so high, but they would go up higher every once in awhile. I would talk to your OB about your pulse - I know that other people on here have and their OB's haven't been concerned. Maybe Runaway Bride was just too much for you - maybe you need to lay off of the Julia Roberts movies for awhile. Hope you feel better.

Joy
sonja
Forum Moderator

Postby annes » Sat Feb 28, 2004 04:17 am

Which part of the movie got you so riled up, maybe you got an unedited version the rest of us didn't get to see?[}:)]Just kidding, I am up early and found your post, giving me a little early morning laugh! When my BP is up, I wait b/w 30min to an hour. I find that repeatedly checking it seems to make it higher, as I get a little riled up of my BP.[:I]

Anne
DH Richard
Parker 7/6/03(severe pe)33wks
annes
Forum Moderator

Postby suzanne » Sat Feb 28, 2004 06:25 am

I have often had the same question---when my BP is high as it was this morning (134/94), I have the urge to take it all the time, but I try to wait an hour or so. When it's not high, (for me anyway, when it's like 130/84), I take it usually only once or twice a day. That is what my dr. said to do, but I wonder if it's often enough.

On a related note, I was wondering what you all had been told about what is too high---when are you supposed to call your dr? Last time they told me if the bottom number gets over 100. From reading posts here, it sounds like that is higher than most of you consider too high, and I am nervous about that! The last week I've often had readings in the 90s on the bottom. I am on Labetorol 100MG twice a day.

I haven't seen Runaway Bride but I guess I will avoid it if it's enough to raise your pulse like that, Catherine!

Suzanne (37) and DH Tony (41) + William (9, severe PE, born at 32 weeks) and Freddy (6, fairly typical pregnancy) and Baby (due approx. 8/26/04!)
suzanne

Postby sonja » Sat Feb 28, 2004 12:04 am

100 as your bottom number seems really high - I got induced at 37.5 weeks and mine was 150/90. I have never been given a specific number this time, so I can't answer specifically, but I think that if I saw a number even close to 100 on the bottom I would head off to the ER. I am sure that every case is different and it will also depend on where you bottom number started, but I know that there is a range where stroke risk starts popping up. Good luck

Joy
sonja
Forum Moderator

Postby akemt » Sat Feb 28, 2004 12:42 am

Suzanne, I wouldn't avoid Runaway Bride...lol It's a cute and funny chick flick. Nothing that SHOULD make my BP go up. And, with my dr last pg we went in increments. When I started getting a majority of my readings in the 90's I was to call (and was sent to L&D for observation/testing) then it was when I hit the 100's level. Well, and anything around 160's I think. My BP was rather labile and would jump around so it wasn't till the last two weeks or so that I started getting baseline changes to the 90's and 100's. I'd definately call your doctor and ask. I should do the same thing...at what point does she want me to call when I get high readings? lol

My pulse by the time I was going to bed last night was back down to the 80's range, so that was good.

Thanks for the responses! Have a great weekend everyone!

DH Britton (27)
akemt

Postby sherry fisher » Sun Feb 29, 2004 03:31 pm

Hey Catherine!
I have noticed the last couple of days that my pulse rate has been creeping up there, along with some higher BP readings. My pulse usually runs in the 60-70's. Right now it is running in the 80-90's. Just in the last couple of days :) Definately going to mention that to my OB tomorrow when I go in for my NST. But just thought that was kinda strange that it goes up like that all of a sudden.

I am a chronic BP taker! lol I usually take mine about every hour when I dont feel good. If I get a higher reading, I will take it every 1/2 or so until it goes down.

Sherry Fisher (28)
DH: Bill (35)
Proud Mama to:
#1) Alex 1/1/94-PE
#2) Abbie 12/17/97-PIH
#3 Will 08/03/02-PP PE
#4) EDD: 4/27/04
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/b/babyfish3/
Pregnancy Updates, ultrasound pictures, and the countdown: http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/b/babyfish4/
sherry fisher

Return to Pregnant Again?