Pre-Filled Heparin????

Are you pregnant again after having preeclampsia once already in a previous pregnancy? Post your thoughts/concerns here - there are others who share your feelings. This is also the home of our Bedrest Buddies Support group.

Pre-Filled Heparin????

Postby dena » Sun Mar 21, 2004 07:12 pm

I remember reading something on the Forum about pre-filled heparin syringes. I can't recall if the pre-filled ones are GOOD or BAD. Please help.

Just found out I am about 5 weeks pregnant. I was diagnosed with mild preeclampsia 6 months ago and 48 hours later (at 32 weeks) my son died. It has been a very tough emotional roller coaster and I'm sure the next 35 weeks aren't going to be much different.

Thanks,
Dena
dena

Re : Pre-Filled Heparin????

Postby julie f » Sun Mar 21, 2004 11:44 pm

Dena,

I'm sorry I can't answer your question about the shots but, I just wanted to say welcome. I am so sorry for the loss of your son. I am sure the next 35 weeks will be quite emotional but I will pray that they are uneventful and you're able to take home your little miracle!

Julie (27)
Zachary James, 7/22/03-7/27/03, born at 26wks - severe pe

Southern California Coordinator
julie f

Postby twolfgram » Mon Mar 22, 2004 05:24 am

I use the pre-filled syringes with my lovenox. I love it. It would be a huge pain to have to bring all the stuff to fill them at work. I take the shots twice a day, so once is at work. They come in 60, 80 and 100mg, and I only use 90mg, so I just inject up to the 10mg line. Works well for me. Good luck!

Therese Mom to
DS 10/4/95
DS Stillborn 12/20/02
And "Baby dot" - EDD 9/11/04!
twolfgram

Postby lauras » Mon Mar 22, 2004 10:59 am

Welcome! I, too, hope you have an uneventful 9 months. I take Fragmin in pre-filled syringes. Its more expensive than Lovenox but only once a day. I hate needles so I'd hate to have to bother with filling syringes - I'd probably chicken out. I think most companies do the pre-filled for at-home use. It takes about 30 seconds and isn't that bad because they are very short and very fine.

Wishing you the best,

Laura 32
DH 32
Isabella 11/25/01 - 30 wks -severe pe
Hoping for another girl 8/24/04
lauras

Postby tahoe4 » Wed Mar 24, 2004 07:30 am

I also use pre-filled Lovenox syringes. They come in whatever doseage you need, I use 40 mL once per day. Heparin is only a 12 hour shot, so you'll probably need to inject twice a day. If possible, see if you can be on Lovenox instead. It's the same medicine, except Lovenox stays in your system for 24 hours, so depending on your situation you may only need to inject once like me. I would definitely look into it if your insurance covers it. It's much more expensive than heparin so make sure your insurance covers it.
tahoe4

Return to Pregnant Again?