The worst week of my life..

A place for those bereaved to receive and offer support
craigh

Re : The worst week of my life..

Postby craigh » Wed May 05, 2004 10:04 am

Lisa, yes we have spoke to the doctors in the hospital about what will happen in a future pregnancy, they had her on a heperin IV, she now gets lovinox injections and takes coomiden (sorry im a terrable speller).. Apperently if she gets pregnant again she will have to get lovinox injections twice a day for the entire pregnancy because coomiden cannot be used during pregnancy. Is the injection her only option? Thats alot to get stuck with a needle, isnt there any other oral medications she could take? I know these are all questions for the doctors I am just not a calm paciant person when it comes to this..

-------------------
Mom and I love and miss you very much.. Shane Andrew, April 25, 2004

craigh

Postby craigh » Wed May 05, 2004 09:55 am

Thank you all so much. Does anyone know of someone I can talk to who might be able to review her records and see if the OB took the appropriate steps neer the end of her pregnancy? I am not looking to pin blame on someone for the loss of the baby but there seems to me that they didnt take some steps I would have thought they should. For example, 3 weeks prior to the loss of the baby we had an ultrasound, at that ultrasound the doctor expressed concern that the baby was behind 2 weeks in grouth. The monday prior to his loss my wife was concerned with lack of movement, she called the OB and they told her to eat a candy bar and drink a soda, she should feel 8 movements per hour, my wife told her that she was not comfotable with that because he normally was active and she hadnt felt anything. The OB replied with "You can come in and I'll try and find the heart beet, but your NOT getting an ultrasound".. Rather harsh I must say. Heather went in and the doctor only found the heart beet for a few seconds then nothing and then again for a few seconds, not enough to follow the pattern. She then said to Heather "Are you satisfied with that?" Upset by her rudeness Heather left in tears. I have talked to a few people and they said at the very least they should have done a "Stress Test" on the baby? I would have thought that because of the previous ultrasound which the doctor was concernd about the baby's health that it would have triggered something in the doctors brain that there may be a serious issue and perhaps they should check a little better then with a heart monitor.. Now I am not the type of person that is trying to blame this on someone, but I just dont know if what the OB did is right or not and my gut is telling me that something more should have been done. I just dont have that closer that everything that could have been done was, I just have a weird feeling and I need that sense of closer. I understand doctors arnt gods and there may have been nothing they could have done, but I feel like my poor son wasnt even given a fighting chance.. Who can I talk too?

-------------------

julie f

Postby julie f » Tue May 04, 2004 10:59 pm

Craig,

I am so sorry for your loss, my prayers are with you and your wife through this terrible time. My heart breaks for you guys.

One thing I might suggest is not waiting the 5 weeks before you go back to the OB or, seeing another doctor in between now and then. With all that happened it will take a while for your wife's body to recover and it may given you some peace of mind to be checked out before then.

Like the others have said, the Lupus Anticoagulant is a red flag warning risk factor for preeclampsia. There are several women here who have successfully been treated in subsequent pregnancies and I pray that that can give you some hope.

Again, I am so very sorry for your loss and will keep you in my prayers.

Julie (27)
Zachary James, 7/22/03-7/27/03, born at 26wks - severe pe

Praying for a miracle... TTC #2 is a go!

Southern California Coordinator

lisac

Postby lisac » Tue May 04, 2004 08:45 pm

Craig,

I'm terribly sorry for the ordeal you and your wife have been through.

Lupus Anticoagulant can cause your wife's blood to clot excessively during pregnancy. Small clots in the placenta are thought to be one of the causes of pre-e. Pre-e can lead to low amniotic fluid (so can other things); in my case, I hardly had any fluid either. One treatment they may suggest during pregnancy is heparin, blood thinner.

I'm glad you found this web-site. There is a wealth of support and information here.

Lisa

april

Postby april » Tue May 04, 2004 08:27 pm

Craig,

I am very sorry for the loss of your son. I can relate to how you and your wife feel, I loss my daughter to PE about 2 months ago. And it is a very sad and lonley feeling. And it is also a horrible feeling not knowing why this happened. I am glad to know that your wife is feeling better though.

april(24)
dh-billy(29)
dd-Natalie 3/10/04(pasted away after 1 hr.) induced labor at 23wks and 5 days due to severe PH/HELLP

hannahsmom

Postby hannahsmom » Tue May 04, 2004 05:47 pm

Craig,

What a terrible ordeal you have been through. I will keep you all in my prayers. My daughter was also very small for her gestational age. She was fine at about 22 or 23 weeks, weighing over two pounds with plenty of fluid according to the ultrasound. Then at 26 weeks when I developed severe pre-eclapmsia, they did an ultrasound and I hardly had any fluid, and she was very tiny for her gestational age. Anyway, they ended up doing a c-section because we were both in trouble at that point. In the delivery room they said she weighed less than a pound. Apparently the pre-e was starving her of any nutrients. Anyway, I'm glad you found this board and I hope both you and your wife can find comfort in the wonderful people who have been through tough times.

Suzanne
Mommy to Miss Hannah Rose
26.5 weeker born 8/24/01
severe pre-e & IUGR
1 pound, 1 ounce
12 inches
Miracles do happen!

kimb

Postby kimb » Tue May 04, 2004 05:13 pm

Craig - I am very sorry for your loss. I lost my son 10 months ago. The ultrasound I had a week before losing my son there was plenty of fluid, the night I found out we had to deliver, there was very little fluid. I know that one thing they were watching for when I was on mag was my lungs to make sure I didn't get fluid in my lungs and when there was a little they had me coughing it up quick.

I am glad your wife is recovering well. I know that for my husband the part the helped him throught he grief of losing our son was that he still had me there.

You will both be in my thoughts and prayers.

Kim 35
William Michael - my angel - pe/HELLP 7/7/03

mada

Postby mada » Tue May 04, 2004 11:44 am

HI Craig,
I am so deeply sorry for your loss. I wanted to add that having Lupus is a "red flag" when it comes to preeclampsia. Those who have it are at greater risk of developing pre-e. Maybe you could get a copy of her chart from her OB so you can look at all the #'s (bp, protien). My prayers are with you all.

Mada Harpster

Sam 6-29-00 36weeks P.E.
Ben 11-03-01 No P.E.

craigh

Postby craigh » Tue May 04, 2004 11:20 am

Thank you both very much! I have been doing alot of research today. They did diegnose her with Lupus Anticoagulant which seems to have similar simptoms during pregnancy as PE. The one major thing that stands out to me is that she doesnt have nor ever has had any kindey problems, perhaps what happened is more related to Lupus then PE. Its just so hard to wait this long for answers.

-------------------

for faith

Postby for faith » Tue May 04, 2004 11:12 am

Oh, I am so sorry to read your post. My thoughts are with you and your wife at this difficult time. I hope that you get answers soon, to have to wait so long is horrible. Maybe you can discuss it with her normal dr, I assume she has sooner follow-ups regarding what happened to her.

With my preeclampsia at my last ultrasounds I had high amniotic fluid (not sure if this was due to something else or the preeclampsia), which caused some limited movement of my daughter. I was put on magnesium and had continued circulation and blood pressure problems even after delivery. My kidneys were having problems functioning and my liver labs were bad. I think these are typical preeclampsia problems, but not sure if what happened to your wife is, I hope someone can answer for you soon what happened.

It pains my heart to see someone else having to go through this *. I can just offer my empathy and for you to know others feel your pain.

Again my thoughts are with you,

Jill
mommy to:
Tyler - 4 (36 wks, PIH)
Angel baby - 1/20/03 (11 wks)
Faith Kristine - 1/5/04-1/30/04 (30 weeks due to severe preeclampsia, passed due to NEC & Sepsis(premie complications))

Return to “Grief and Loss”