when do odds improve?

Are you part of the NICU club? Do you have a child who is still struggling with the effects of being born too soon from preeclampsia? Share your concerns and stories here among parents who have been there.

when do odds improve?

Postby meg » Wed Mar 10, 2004 11:58 am

Is there any evidence to suggest making it through the first 24 hours or 48 hours or anything increases the babies chances? Or is there like any research that says most deaths that happen occur with the first day or week or something like that?
I just looking for any kind of hope there is. The docs keep reminding my sis and her DH over and over about what a "sick" little boy Ethan is. But I just feel like making it past the first 48 hours has to mean something, doesnt it?

Will 2-6-00 ( PE at 35 weeks)
Elizabeth 7-3-01 ( NO PE)
#3 EDD 10-25-04
Proud Aunt to Ethan born 27.5 weeks weighing 1lb 8 ounces! Our little fighter!
meg

Re : when do odds improve?

Postby julie f » Wed Mar 10, 2004 12:08 am

Meg,

The NICU doctors told us that the most critical time for brain bleeds, something preemies are apparently especially at risk for, was the first 72 hours.

As far as for the rest of the health issues though, I am not sure what the statistics/time periods are.

Keeping yall in my prayers,

Julie (27)
Zachary James, 7/22/03-7/27/03, born at 26wks - severe pe

Southern California Coordinator
julie f

Postby josiah1112 » Wed Mar 10, 2004 02:58 pm

Meg,

All micropreemies respond so differently. It is so hard to say.
I know your frustration with the doctors, but you have to remember
that every day is a battle for little Ethan. All micropreemies have
weaknesses and strengths. My son's strength were his lungs, but his
weakness were his kidneys. Once this was resolved his little liver
started acting out... I remember the baby next to him had his lungs
as his weakness but did well with feedings, which is another
problem area for micropreemies. You can only take each day as it comes and hope for the best. Each day that passes should be
considered a miracle and celebrated.

Thinking of You and your family,

Gloria mom to Josiah 11/12/03 - 12/4/03 @ 26wks pre e
josiah1112

Postby iansmom » Sun Mar 28, 2004 08:17 pm

Meg,
So far, all the postings I have read about Ethan sound like something I could have written about Ian! This particular one about how "sick" he is brought back a particular memory. Ian was in the NICU for 14 weeks. He had one very bad yeast infection in his blood at 4 weeks. That was truly the only time I thought he would not make it. So, my jaw hit the floor when the Neonatologist was discharging him. I made the comment that he was going home on his due date and she said something like that is pretty amazing for a baby that was as sick as he was and has been through so much. I was floored. It just goes to show that when it is your baby, every little thing is a milestone and a miracle to be thankful for. He wasn't my "sick little baby" he was my "fighter". Please send my best wishes to your sister - I know what she is going through. By the way, my little fighter is now a perfectly healthy 27 month old. Miracles do happen.

Ian 12/26/01 - 26 weeks P/E & HELLP
#2 EDD July 15, 2004
iansmom

Postby hannahsmom » Fri Apr 02, 2004 08:02 pm

Hi, Meg! My daughter was born at 26 and a half weeks. The docs said the same thing to us. Two days after she was born they prepared us for her death, and we had her baptized. She had caught an infection and was very sick. But then she overcame it. Then about three weeks later she caught another infection and we went on the same roller coaster. She overcame that too, but barely. She also had a grade one bleed, which did not have any negative impact. She's two and a half now. Your sister can email me if she wants! Our little one stayed in the NICU almost four months.

Suzanne
hannahsmom@mchsi.com
hannahsmom

Return to Parents of Preemies