Pertussis took another babies life.IMPORANT UPDATE

A place for those bereaved to receive and offer support
lucy

Re : Pertussis took another babies life.IMPORANT UPDATE

Postby lucy » Wed Nov 16, 2005 08:02 pm

That seems crazy (them waiting until 4 months) I dont think I would go for that, I know they were even testing to see if they could give it to them immediately after birth so they would have protection sooner but heres a link to the CDC's immunization schedule http://www.cdc.gov/nip/recs/child-sched ... dule'where it says they are supposed to get the first one at two months.

miracle3

Postby miracle3 » Tue Nov 15, 2005 05:36 pm

nope I remember with alex he got sick around 9 weeks old after he had all of his 2 month shots and his doctor tested him for pertusis because of the constant cough he had. He made the comment then that he had not yet gotten the vaccination. They are trying new things around here something they call combo shots and i don't know why but he specifically said they get that at 4 months. YUCK

lucy

Postby lucy » Tue Nov 15, 2005 03:11 pm

Thank you for reading it and that is odd they are supposed to start them at 2 months.

miracle3

Postby miracle3 » Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:52 am

Lucy, Thanks so much for posting all this information. I know it is all very sad. I don't like the fact that they wait to give the vaccinations until the child is 4 months old around here. Pretty scary to me.

lucy

Postby lucy » Mon Nov 14, 2005 07:58 am

Thank you both for your posts, I am hoping to work on even more awareness information, ideas etc on my webpage and the new Pertussis group. I will have more info, links etc before too long probably.

lizzybeth

Postby lizzybeth » Sat Nov 12, 2005 04:43 pm

Hi Ladies,

This past winter, here near Chicago, Pertussis was quite bad. We received a notice from the grade school that Pertussis was going around.My eldest and my Nanny caught it. My Nanny already has chronic lung problems and an exceptionally poor immune system, she ended up in the hospital with pneumonia.

I ahd no idea that pertussis was so deadly to babies. I do know about RSV. When Tori was a month old she developed RSV and was hospitalized. Since then I have been vigilent about notifying other families about I also invested in getting a bunch of those small hand antibacterial lotions and have them hung or sitting all over the house (bathroom, refridgerator door, dining room table, on the computer key board and around my Nanny's belt loop.)

I confess, I used to think that Mom's that were paranoid about germs were nutz, I know now that I have been the one who is nutz. Jillian is going to be a winter baby, born right in the middle of flu and rotovirus season. She will not be going out and will have few visitors.

lizzybeth

julie f

Postby julie f » Fri Nov 11, 2005 09:16 pm

Lucy, thanks for this info. I just had a tetanus shot, I think it was Tdap but, I'll have to check and make sure.

lucy

Postby lucy » Fri Nov 11, 2005 05:54 pm

http://www.cdc.gov/od/oc/media/pressrel/r051109.htm Please read this link they are now reccomending adults get the vaccine quote:The ACIP recommended that adults receive a booster dose of Tdap vaccine against tetanus, diphtheria and pertussis if they have not received a tetanus and diphtheria (Td) booster dose in ten or more years. Adults should receive a single dose of Tdap to replace a single dose of Td. Pertussis affects an estimated 600,000 adults every year, aged 20 to 64 years, and can result in weeks of coughing, cracked ribs from severe coughing spells, pneumonia, and other complications.

Tdap should also be given to adults who will have close contact with an infant less than 12 months of age, ideally at least one month before beginning close contact with infants. In situations when it is important to protect against pertussis, intervals shorter than 10 years since the last Td vaccination may be used. A 2-year interval between Td and Tdap is suggested to reduce the risk of reactions following vaccination.

“Infants less than 12 months of age have a high risk of pertussis-related complications, hospitalizations and death. Vaccinating adult contacts may reduce the risk of transmitting pertussis to infants” said Dr. Steve Cochi, acting director of CDC’s National Immunization Program. “Although pertussis is most serious in infants, it can also be serious in adults. Even adults who don’t typically come in contact with young children should be vaccinated

lucy

Postby lucy » Mon Oct 10, 2005 05:43 am

A webpage done for a baby boy who passed away after getting pertussis aka whooping cough http://www.sadiesplace.net/main/myfamil ... sephsroom/

http://www.tdh.state.tx.us/IMMUNIZE/uparch/f01fampe.htm another pertussis story recounted by the parents of a baby girl.

A mothers story on her babies experience with whooping cough http://mwp.cla.umn.edu/anthology/2001/v ... ren-w.html

http://aapredbook.aappublications.org/w ... 1304.shtml

Return to “Grief and Loss”