Pain under ribs on right side radiating to back...

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

Pain under ribs on right side radiating to back...

Postby excitedmommietobe » Mon Jan 09, 2006 09:56 pm

Well just got home from another trip to L&D with still no answers...The pain in my right side was alarming to my OB and so instead of seeing me today he told me to head right in. Well the urine dip showed Protein and leukocytes between a trace and +1. Nurse thought I might be dehydrated, I dont think so because I drink soo much water, but I have been sick which has affected my eating habits (mostly soup and breads) so who knows. Anyways with protein and the location of my pain (right side under ribs) she said she would call the doc and we would probably be doing blood work and, possible US. Well they did the blood work and tested liver enzymes and did a cbc. Everything was normal so they gave me a lorotab and sent me home telling me to call the doc or go back in if the pain doesnt subside or gets worse...well I took the lorotab an hour ago and no relief still very much painful!

Could this be a possible gallbladder problem? Ive never had any problems with it before and dont really know what the symptoms are. I dunno anyone experienced this?
excitedmommietobe

Re : Pain under ribs on right side radiating to back...

Postby fiona » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:51 pm

Noel,

I know there are some women here who experienced gallbladder issues during pregnancy, so hopefully they will be able to respond more helpfully. I'm also hoping someone with experience of HELLP will chime in. I'm really glad you went into L&D - and pleased to hear that your OB acted so promptly; vigilance is our only defense against pe. Did they say how long to give the painkiller before heading back? I would have thought an hour should have been long enough for it to take effect. Maybe you should give them a call and check?
fiona
Forum Moderator

Postby sandy » Tue Jan 10, 2006 00:42 am

Noel,
I'm sorry you're having this pain...and even more sorry you don't know the cause of it or how to appropriately make it go away.

I had HELLP Syndrom with my first pregnancy and a period of elevated liver enzymes with my second.

For me, the pain was the same both times, yet, from what I've heard, when it's your liver, the type and location of the pain can vary from person to person.

So just for me, in my case, the pain came and went. It was located pretty much across the top of my pregnant belly; just under my breasts; across the left to the middle to the right side.

As it came and went, it progressively got more painful.

I'm very glad bloodwork was done for you, and I really hope you are able to have permanent relief and find out what is going on soon.
sandy

Postby alexp » Tue Jan 10, 2006 05:54 am

Hi Noel,

First, I want to say good for you for going in and getting checked out.

Second - I had gallbladder problems during my pregnancy. I also had HELLP. Both felt AMAZINGLY similar. :( My gallbladder was found to be chronically inflammed, and was removed a year after my twins were born. (Incidentally, I'm now have some issues with my bile ducts...and the pain is the same - if anything it is even closer to the liver pain of HELLP than the gallbladder was - if I were pregnant right now I'd be freaking out!)

Soooooo...I am no doctor, and this is just my personal opinion, but it very well could be gallbladder related. Pregnancy is often the thing that pushes a gallbladder over the edge.

That said - it could very well also be pre-e or HELLP developing. With both, women sometimes get sick very fast - within a matter of hours - and from my own observations (remember, I am not a doc, this is just my personal opinion) I've seen people have right side pain and other bad symptoms before their lab work really goes bad.

Either way, two things...if it were me, I would follow up with my doc 1st thing in the morning and continue until I got some answers -sooner if you continue to feel bad. THere are three reasons why: 1) Gallbladders do often flare up during pregnancy, and they are usually things that can be put off until you've had your baby - but not always, so it is important to stay on top of it. Gallstones can sometimes be dangerous. 2) Pre-e and HELLP can come on very quickly and IMO it is important to be vigilant if you are having symptoms 3) IT is possible to have gallbladder issues and HELLP at the same time - I did, and am very glad that I didn't just assume that the pain was just gallbladder/indigestion/whatever and harmless.

Ugh...I know that is probably more than you needed to hear. :
I hope it helps some - and I hope you are feeling better very soon. Please keep us posted.
alexp

Postby lorelei » Tue Jan 10, 2006 08:10 am

Sorry you aren't feeling well Noel. I had URQ pain that turned out to be my liver. I was passing it off as a virus or gallbladder attack.

The other ladies have given you great info..I completely agree that you should be vigilant about the sumptoms you are having. Please keep us posted.
lorelei

Postby denise » Tue Jan 10, 2006 09:52 am

Here is a link where members have discussed "What does the shoulder pain feel like?":
http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=492

Personally, the pain for me was awful. It started out off and on for a week and felt like I had pulled a muscle in my chest. The days prior to going downhill, the pain became much worse. I laid in bed for the two days before delivery and at first could move positions and the pain would go away. Then I just couldn't do anything to make it go away. By the time I got to the clinic, I could barely stand straight and nothing was helping.

I'm happy to hear they ran tests and checked things over. Are they planning on checking again soon, depending on how you feel? It could be the gallbladder, I've had a couple girlfriends who all started having gallbladder issues during their pregnancies. Both had to have the GB removed. I'd suggest calling the doc again today if you are still having pain. And hopefully someone with more GB experience will pop in here with some better info. I haven't had issues with mine yet.

Keep us posted!
denise

Postby meredith » Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:19 am

Noel,
Sometimes I get a sharp pain, in my upper back radiating in my ribs. especially after a big meal and only after walking around. Since i have had it for over a month and its only when i am on my feet. I suspect it has to do with the baby's possition. That could be what you have. Does it go away with possition changes?
meredith

Postby excitedmommietobe » Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:38 am

Thanks everyone for the great information. Its nice to hear others experiences with this pain and hear how it progressed for each of you. Last night shortly after posting, the medication was enough to knock me out and I finally slept really well almost the entire night. This morning the pain is soo much better, more of a dull pain instead of a sharp one and mostly just in my back. But now Im feeling pain throughout my lower back and in my lower right side...what is happening to me? I feel like Im falling apart!!

Have you guys experienced these symptoms, but nothing been evident in your blood work? maybe the blood confirmed later?? Could it just be normal pregnancy pains or could pe/HELLP just be getting started and not yet evident in my bloodwork?? I feel like a "frequent flyer" at L&D with never any news about what is going on...I caught myself saying that I gotta stay away from that place because obviously nothing is wrong. I am 34 weeks and 3 days so I know that is a good place to be and maybe Im just getting uncomfortable??
excitedmommietobe

Postby excitedmommietobe » Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:42 am

Nothing really affects the pain, not better when I eat or when I dont eat. Last night when I was walking out of L&D the pain was sooo bad worse then when I was laying down, and I cannot sleep on my right side because it hurts too bad. But nothing I do makes the pain get any better, although as you can see in my previous post this morning the pain is more in my upper right back and no longer in the front, in addition to the lower back pain.
excitedmommietobe

Postby akemt » Tue Jan 10, 2006 01:17 pm

Noel,

If I were in your situation, I'd call my doctor and be seen today. If you are continuing to have pain from either of the two causes we've discussed (and my gallbladder pain started in my back, btw), or any other reason for that matter, and it is lasting this long without releif, it should be checked out thoroughly. When you are experiencing an attack is when it is easiest to diagnose gallstones, I would imagine, so if they don't do an ultrasound, I would probably ask for one as that is how gallstones were diagnosed for me. Do remember that I am not a doctor, though! I was able to keep my gallbladder problems at bay by eating a low-fat diet while pregnant and had it laproscopically removed some 6 weeks after my delivery.

I hope you've found some releif and that you've made contact with your doctor for that follow-up.
akemt

Next

Return to Ask the Experienced