How much urine should I be putting out?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!

How much urine should I be putting out?

Postby gr8testdiva » Tue Jun 13, 2006 07:41 pm

Hi all--

I did my first 24 hour urine last week. Doctor called yesterday and said the output was extremely high so she was concerned that the results were not accurate. (Came back as 488)

She ordered another 24 hour urine which I've been doing today.

In the middle of the day they called and wanted me to come in for a NST, so I was limiting how much I drank because I knew I couldn't pee at the doctor's office, since jug was at home.

Anyway, I just looked at the jug, since 7am I've only put out 500 mL (I'm assuming that is the measurement on the jug?).
What is considered a normal amount? I don't want to start over drinking to compensate for it, but I am concerned there is a problem here. With the test I did last week the jug was almost filled to the top!

gr8testdiva

Re : How much urine should I be putting out?

Postby luvmypeanut2 » Tue Jun 13, 2006 07:53 pm

Not sure how much is per jug, but I will tell you that I've done 3 24hr and all 3 times, I've filled one jug and at least 1/4 if not 1/2 of another.. I do drink a lot of water...
luvmypeanut2

Postby gr8testdiva » Tue Jun 13, 2006 07:56 pm

Usually I don't have a problem urinating, but the doctor seemed concerned that I had too much in the jug with the last test. All of my blood work came back normal so she said that the urine contradicted the blood work.

What does the blood work test for?

Another doctor in her practice told me I had too much swelling because I was drinking too much and to only drink when I'm thirsty....

These doctors drive me crazy sometimes!!!
gr8testdiva

Postby mich_momma » Tue Jun 13, 2006 08:20 pm

I was actually going to ask this same question yesterday, so it's a good thing you asked it today! I'm curious as to what other people output (and I know it's highly individualized, based on how much you drink, etc). i'm in the middle of doing my 2nd 24 hr test, and I don't feel like I've put in nearly enough. The first one I filled 1100 mg, which wasn't even one full container. I don't think I'm going to fill this container this go around either.

The Blood tests look at a variety of things - your liver functions, kidney functions, creatine clearance, etc. If those numbers are elevated, it usually means there's a problem -- either Pre-E wise, or other health issues wise.

Good luck, and make sure to keep us posted on the outcome of this one!
mich_momma

Postby gr8testdiva » Tue Jun 13, 2006 09:13 pm

I'm probably being paranoid since the doctor said I had put out so much the first time...who knows.

I just checked the jug I have like 600 mL and I started at 7am and it's now 9pm. I hope these results aren't skewed in anyway.

I guess it's a good thing that my blood tests came back ok from the first test, but I still wonder why the urine test came back at 488.
I guess that's why they are sending me for this second one.

Good luck to all of you too! These tests are the pits, but worth it!

gr8testdiva

Postby princess purr » Tue Jun 13, 2006 09:17 pm

When I did my 24 hour test I almost filled the jug, it was weird because during the day it seemed like there just wasn't all that much and then between night and morning it really started to fill up fast.
When I was pg the nurse told me to drink a gallon of water a day, then when I got to the hosp the doc was like WOW you do not need ot drink that much water 64oz a day is fine... I'm still not sure how much water pg people are really supposed to drink!
princess purr

Postby tracym » Tue Jun 13, 2006 09:38 pm

You should be putting out around about what you're taking in. No more than 3L intake as a general rule. If you have too much intake, then yes you will retain more water. (ie swelling)

I don't drink a lot and didn't when pg either, and my 24 hr tests would usually only fill the jug to about 2/3 or less.
tracym

Postby sydnee » Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:57 pm

We had someone here or in "pregnant again" that asked about needing a second jug for the 24 hour tests. I know I'm not the only one that needs 2 jugs. after having my dr change labs on me I also know not every lab uses the same size jug.
If you really want to know why the dr said that ASK. Really I would ask why do you think I peed to much? It sounds like you want to know.
I know that labs can come back fine and you have high out put (I know because that's what I do)
sydnee

Postby mamas » Wed Jun 14, 2006 00:13 am

I actually did my 24 hour in the hospital, and I peed so little that the nurse woke me up and asked me "Is this all you peed?" They look at your input and compare it to your out put. I'm not sure if you had to keep track of what you took in and then measure what you peed out. That's how I did mine. Unfortunatley, mine came back 5600 mg and I was induced to deliver at 36 weeks. We were both Ok after delivery. This is my experience with the 24 hour.
mamas

Postby allic » Wed Jun 14, 2006 00:18 am

Here's my experience with my daughter: BP issues at 26 weeks - put on bedrest and very small dose of BP meds controlled the BP. At 29 weeks I went in for my 24 hour urine after showing more than a trace on the dipsticks...and it came back at 500mg (normal BP, normal bloodwork, no swelling). Two days later they did another 24 hour and it was 5000mg (normal BP, no swelling, but the bloodwork was slightly "positive"). My daughter was born three days after that and I had gained almost 20lbs of water in the last two days before she was born. Everyone is different, but I imagine, they'll do bloodwork more often and continue the 24 hour urine tests every few days. And yes, they told me the same thing...your output should about match your input...but they never said drinking too much would make me retain water (I was about at the halfway point as far as filling it). I had never heard of that. You'll be in my thoughts!
allic

Next

Return to Ask the Experienced